MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members,today i changed a new battery to my 75,after changing it,i felt the car is more responsive,idling also seems like smoother.!Someone tell me maybe due to stronger spark[plugs],does any members out there notice it.?Or is it due to my......oversensitive.??

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
its possible if your old battery was well and truly shagged, you were possibly sparking off alternator power, I think its just placebo though

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Definately Placebo.

If all is well the the ignition system, the car will run off the alternator all the time the engine is running anyway, the battery doesn't come into the equation.

Its amazing what a new battery can do for starting issues though.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
In your head mate. Unless the battery was seriously knacked and causing a big power drain on the electrics then it won't affect the ignition at all.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I wonder....

I remember fitting a unit to a mates car some years ago, it was made by Racelogic and disconnected the alternator electrically at a certain rev/manifold vacuum (it actually let about 1 Amp flow to keep the alternator happy).

Given that a standard alternator can generate about [email protected] which equates to 780W, a little over 1hp, I wouldn't have thought that the mechanical loading effect would be that noticeable (not sure how efficient modern alternators are).

However when this "box" disconnected the alternator you could feel the difference...

So maybe it isn't a Placebo?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
unless dissconecting the batt gave the ecu a shove up the backside or reset something ??? or wiped an old code ??? just a thought

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
technozen said:
I wonder....

I remember fitting a unit to a mates car some years ago, it was made by Racelogic and disconnected the alternator electrically at a certain rev/manifold vacuum (it actually let about 1 Amp flow to keep the alternator happy).

Given that a standard alternator can generate about [email protected] which equates to 780W, a little over 1hp, I wouldn't have thought that the mechanical loading effect would be that noticeable (not sure how efficient modern alternators are).

However when this "box" disconnected the alternator you could feel the difference...

So maybe it isn't a Placebo?
Now you've done it. You're gonna get people connecting a switch to the alternator to turn it off when that extra bit of oomph is needed.:idea:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
You can have a battery that will turn a car over - perhaps slowly and then take a large amount of current from your alternator once it starts.

I noticed this on my 220 - the battery was old and would drop down to 9v within 30mins of having the stereo on. But it would still start the car. My voltmeter would indicate that the alternator was charging at 15v and after 30 mins this would drop down to about 13v.

When my battery was in its low state of charge, the revs would drop and the car would almost stall - hence power was being used the engine to turn the alternator.

Anyway, new battery (larger capacity 110AH) has solved this issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts