MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

Ok so it have been confirmed that my backbox has rusted and is blowing. Being told that garage can get original but will cost in the £400 mark! (jokers)

Bit of a newbie so have a few lame questions first.....

1. Whats the diff between an exhaust and a back box or are they the same thing?

2. The rust appears on the pipe about 2 feet behind the actual twin pipe exhaust, so is it possible to keep the twin pipe exhaust and replace the rusty pipe or is the whole lot replaced when a new back box is fitted?

3. I would like to have the same twin exhaust style but I don't want it too loud, I would like a deep tone sound, not tinny, what makes/models would you recommend please?

Thank you

·
Registered
rover_75
207 Posts
www.rimmerbros.co.uk

back box approx £150

In Ashton-under-lyne there's a welder who could patch it up, must be others around the uk though , my wife's Xantia had a hole in the downpipe just where it entered the cat , KwikFit wanted £450 for cat , welder charged £20 and it passed it's mot later that day. We sold it the following yr and she now has a 25 sat next to my 75....

Pete

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took it to kwik fit as well and pretty much got quoted the same price. Some said it could be welded but others said it was too far gone.

Had a look at rimmerbros but in the cat it lists the following under exhaust....

catalytic converter downpipe
Intermediates
Rear Assemblies

Having look at the pic would you know the name of the bit I need please?

·
Registered
rover_75
207 Posts
Difficult to say without seeing it really. You'll have to decide where the three pieces join together by looking for the clamps on each section, then you'll know which to get, seperating them could be fun depending on the amount of corrosion.

Pete

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, sounds like my best bet is just to get the whole back box which is fine, but rimmerbros don't seem to list any (I'm prob being blind)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the pic wotsupnow, v helpful. I do have a 160 VVC - not sure if this is a k series? I thought all 160 VVC's were K series though?

If its going to cost £255, I might as well go for a perforance back box which would be cheaper and should last longer.

Think I will call my insurance company first though to see how much my premium would increase (if any) and then compair the differences.

So now its just a case of finding the right performance back box (see top of post for my requirements. Any advise would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Blueflame do a twin pipe version that looks almost the same as the factory version & there are no badges fitted if you get my drift.£150.00 + postage & there stainless steel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts