MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't use your car for a while the alarm, clock and other things will eat away your vehicles battery power.
Whist the car is running down it's voltage it will damage your cars battery. So before long your car
will need a new battery.

I never have this problem with my cars they always start and run as required. Each has a solar charge controller fitted under the bonnet and a largish solar panel.

The MGF has a flexi PET panel £35 the 75 a glass monocrystal panel £25. The mono panel is the best but it's glass and not best fit for the MG. For big panels you must have a charge controller.

The MGF the other day with panel aligned into a full sun was charging at 1.2amps at 13.2 V which is 16W. This is enough to quickly charge your battery and keep it in good condition. Whilst being even lightly charged a car battery will not degrade.

Most of the time If you don't align the panel with the sun you won't get 16W but even 1 or 2W is enough to defeat power drain from the vehicles systems and keep the battery bubbling and less likely to sulphate up. A small panel rated <5w will work only on the best of days so really they are useless extra weight.

I have tested the 75 with the solar setup for 10years and it's totally worth doing in my opinion. The suprise for me was how good it works even in winter. Winter sun is enough to keep your battery lively for extreme cold starts.
 

·
Registered
classic_mg
Joined
·
25 Posts
I keep mine in a garage and have mounted the solar panel (1.5w) in a sunny place outside. I had to extend the lead and i plug it in when the car is not being used.

I have also disconnected the under boot and bonnet lights as carelessness on my part had caused them to flatten the battery.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top