MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2002 MGF. Never owned one before, have always wanted one, and i absolutely love it. The problem is i dont know a lot about MGs. Is there anything in particular i need to look out for? What is its safty record - i could find the MGTF record but not one for this model. Ta!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Apart from suspension changes, there is not a lot of difference between the F/TF. The TF has a very high ENCAP rating, so presumably so has the F.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Here are the (relevant) differences....

MGF - MGTF

Single door intrusion beam - Double door intrusion beam
Glass lens headlamp - Perspex lens headlamp
2 piece side cills - Single piece side cills​

And that's about it. The glass lenses aren't really relevant in my opinion, the theory is that the structure of the light should be as far away from the surface as possible (to prevent damage to pedestrians) and in both cases the light gubbins itself is mounted away from the surface of the car. Only in the case of the F the glass lens makes them heavier and therefore potentially more damaging. Side cills and door intrusion beams mean that the TF is better at protecting the occupants from a side impact and it is for this reason that i would put the TF slightly ahead of the F in the crash stats.

(from memory)

TF scored the following in the EuroNCAP tests:

Passenger = 4*
Pedestrian = 3*

Making it the top Roadster when tested.

I'd say (educated guess) the F should score the following:

Passenger = 3*
Pedestrian = 3*

The reason both cars do so well is that the front is a giant crumple zone designed to absorb impacts pregressively with no large lump of engine to enter the cabin, or be hit by a pedestrian's head in an accident. Windscreen surround provides good roll over protection and engine is protected from behind by the boot space (also a crumple zone). Both cars are very safe. :D

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all

Thats real nice EikB:sick: very useful though, ta.i'm just a bit paranoid 'cos i had a nasty experince in a friends small car once. BU t i feel better now!!Cheers!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Anybody know what the MX5 rating is ?

... I ask because over Easter I watched loads of old Top Gears on some satalite channel.... and by the end of it, I was really really really sick of them going on about how wonderful the MX5 was.... now that maybe is the case... but I think the MGF got one obscure mention, the TF has to my understanding never even been mentioned (let alone driven).... just a small point.... the F/TF is the best selling sportscar in this country for like the last 10 years ?.... and its never been mentioned !!!!!

edit... apologies for the rant, I only intended one line, but just got more and more angry as I was writing it :ziplip:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
...I wonder if the TF had a spare fitted, when they did the frontal impact.

... anyway (call me :evil: ) ... but who cares about pedestrian safty ? (unless of course you forget your handbrake and it runs you over)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts