MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, was topping up, and you know the plastic ring inbetween the oil filler cap and the engine, well that was a bit loose, was going to remove it but wasnt sure, put the filler cap on and it seems the plastic ring has fell into the engine as its nowhere to be seen.so which bits of my engine do i take apart to get to it ?

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
just the rocker cover by the sounds of it, dont start the engine up whatever you do. just undo the 8mm nuts around it i think they are and pop it off.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
right, was topping up, and you know the plastic ring inbetween the oil filler cap and the engine, well that was a bit loose, was going to remove it but wasnt sure, put the filler cap on and it seems the plastic ring has fell into the engine as its nowhere to be seen.so which bits of my engine do i take apart to get to it ?
If it is plastic, i am sure the engine is strong enough to break it up into little pieces. Those pieces will probably fall down to the sump eventually, so i would just remove the sump after a week of so. Good excuse for a oil change!! :broon:

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
the bits might get stuck in places like the cams/valves. Personally I would do as said and take the rocker cover off.
exactly, if it melts and turns into a gas it will stick on somewhere. its only a 10minute job to take the cover off and you should just see it there, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
should be interestign im not an amateur to doing stuff on my car as me and uncle changed clutch, but done nothing like this, oh even after adding that litre of oil, mystick still says im below the minimum so where that litres gone is anyones guess

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
gotta agree with dac on this one, not a hard job to get the rocker cover off and could save you a hell of a headache in the long run mate

just DONT overtighten the bolts when your putting it back on, they might not feel very tight but they will be :broon:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers guys especially the mention of not over tightening the bolts , i once was tightening a nut on my mates clio for the temp gauge casing , and yup you guessed it i snapped the end of the bolt off!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Think they mean the engine oil filler cap sealing ring.
But that's rubber not plastic and is required to seal the cap.

No it's not a good idea to try and let the engine chew it up, you are relying on the cambelt to turn the cams and you don't want that skipping a tooth. Best just to whip the rocker off and retrieve it. Not a big job by any means.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yer well after mag light check pre removing rocker cover, its not in there, doesnt seem to be under the cap unless it is jammed right up making it seem flat, just drove it about 20 miles seemed fine, this still doesnt solve my oil drinking and my low mpg though !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts