MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve just bought an mg tf 52 plate sunstorm 135 Bhp.
has a few problems and I’ve tryed looking but can’t find anything for the earlier cars.

My driver side window doesn’t work goes up and down about half a centimetre, the horn doesn’t work, the front and rear fog lights don’t work and the indicators don’t work but when you push the hazard button nothing flashes but the switch stays illuminated.

keep finding information on the laters cars pointing to the pektron units but mine is an early car with the square fob so don’t think it’s that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,949 Posts
Obvious question...have you checked the fuses under the dash...as in removed, checked and reinserted? If you've done this and all works fine there may be a wiring issue which can be more difficult to find. The horn can be check easily enough to see if its working just by putting 12v directly to the horn contacts....if it works problem is elsewhere, if it doesn't the horn is the issue!

Indicators could be bulbs all blow, but unlikely, still worth a check just in case though.

One other thing, the Sunstorm wasn't introduced until October 2003 and as your reg indicates i was first registered in November 2002 its unlikely yours is a Sunstorm but could have just been made to look like one.... I've a 2003 TF which has the "Spark" interior, chrome handles and ashtray so internally and externally it looks like a Spark. The spark wasn't actually introduced until I think 2005

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obvious question...have you checked the fuses under the dash...as in removed, checked and reinserted? If you've done this and all works fine there may be a wiring issue which can be more difficult to find. The horn can be check easily enough to see if its working just by putting 12v directly to the horn contacts....if it works problem is elsewhere, if it doesn't the horn is the issue!

Indicators could be bulbs all blow, but unlikely, still worth a check just in case though.

One other thing, the Sunstorm wasn't introduced until October 2003 and as your reg indicates i was first registered in November 2002 its unlikely yours is a Sunstorm but could have just been made to look like one.... I've a 2003 TF which has the "Spark" interior, chrome handles and ashtray so internally and externally it looks like a Spark. The spark wasn't actually introduced until I think 2005
I will check fuses, I just figured it might be something specific as a lot isn’t working.

ah right wasnt aware, just figured it’s a sunstorm as it has all the upgrades even the4 pot ap brakes.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
If the fuses are ok I would start with inspecting the wires that run next to the boot hinge for damage. If that is ok then move onto removing the radio and inspect the wires at the rear of the dashboard for damage.

It looks like the original owner got tick happy with the option boxes!

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
36 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum, I am also a newbie, but have found this forum tremendously useful!
Dert & Chris T have made excellent suggestions, and you will find very useful information on location of fuses, relays etc elsewhere on the MGF TF forum. If it helps, I have a standard TF of a similar age to yours (Registered end of November2002). Mine has no "extras", but the wiring should be identical, even without the fog lights etc.

I am happy to take photos of fuse boxes etc. and surrounding wiring if it helps.
As you mentioned:
My driver side window doesn’t work goes up and down about half a centimetre,
Assuming that it's going up& down under it's own power, and not via you pulling & pushing, It sounds like that there IS power to the motor, but a mechanical jam or limit-switch problem is preventing proper operation. It is not too difficult to remove the door card (I did this recently to try to locate the source of a rattle) and get access to the motor, so you could check for mechanical jamming etc. Hope that helps!
John E

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,651 Posts
I may sound ignorant here but do TFs earlier than 2004 not have a BCU box then? I ask because no one has mentioned the BCU and on my (Pektron fob) 2004 TF it controls a lot of similar functions to the one Phyllis has mentioned and it's well known for duff relays...

·
Registered
'10 TF135
390 Posts
Rectangle Box Audio equipment Font Gadget
I reckon this is the more correct part for a 52-plate TF.
It contains 'iffy' relays which can easily be upgraded.
There's loads of useful info on the Technozen w/site:-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 136945
I reckon this is the more correct part for a 52-plate TF.
It contains 'iffy' relays which can easily be upgraded.
There's loads of useful info on the Technozen w/site:-

I messaged Technozen on eBay he said that as mine is a 2002 model it wouldn’t be that as only Tf’s after 2003 have the pektron unit.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
390 Posts
Sorry, but happy to be corrected. Did he have any thoughts about what could be wrong?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Reagarding indicators and hazard switch, I would suggest to find new hazard switch and replace it, as this might solve some of your problems. Hazard switch is responsible for indicators working, and by your description I am assuming you have faulty hazard switch.

·
Registered
mg_tf
186 Posts
Regarding your indicators, locate the relay on the fuse panel and remove and reinsert. My 52 plate TF does occasionally the same when I haven’t used it for a while. I suspect it may oxide build up on the relay terminals that builds up if the car is not used and removing the relay and reinserting is enough to clean them up. Recommend doing the same with the relevant fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding your indicators, locate the relay on the fuse panel and remove and reinsert. My 52 plate TF does occasionally the same when I haven’t used it for a while. I suspect it may oxide build up on the relay terminals that builds up if the car is not used and removing the relay and reinserting is enough to clean them up. Recommend doing the same with the relevant fuses.
It was the relay I bought an original mg relay off eBay the indicators now work.

rear fog works now was the fuse.

just the front fogs,drivers window, and the horn to fix now 😂😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts