MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Tad said:
why the hell are you complaining? it's the car that matters not the number or letter assigned to it.
if that were true we would of still had them today! you need more than just a decent product for it to sell - it would be very naive to think otherwise imo

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
deelunn said:
if that were true we would of still had them today! you need more than just a decent product for it to sell - it would be very naive to think otherwise imo

you're totally wrong, fiat and ford became successful with the focus and the new punto just because they're good cars not named jesus or elvis.

you dont have rovers today because they had very bad reputation on reliability and mg-rover group was handled by a bunch of idiots with no new products in a whole decade.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
alexank said:
So you could have a MG 1.8 LZW (Lempel-Ziv-Welch)

So at least it would still have a bit of Zip

:rotflmao:
Where do you get LZW from? I guess it must be a new compact version of something :confused:

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Windy said:
Where do you get LZW from? I guess it must be a new compact version of something :confused:

LZW (Lempel-Ziv-Welch) is a universal lossless data compression algorithm created by Abraham Lempel, Jacob Ziv, and Terry Welch. It was published by Welch in 1984 as an improved implementation of the LZ78 algorithm published by Lempel and Ziv in 1978. The algorithm is designed to be fast to implement, but not necessarily optimal since it does not perform any analysis on the data.

The method became widely used in the program compress, which became a more or less standard utility in Unix systems circa 1986. (It has since disappeared from many for both legal and technical reasons.) Several other popular compression utilities also used the method, or closely related ones.

It became very widely used after it became part of the GIF image format in 1987. It may also (optionally) be used in TIFF files.

LZW compression provided a better compression ratio, in most applications, than any well-known method available up to that time. It became the first widely used universal data compression method on computers. It would typically compress large English texts to about half of their original sizes.

Hence my reference to the car having some Zip (as in PK Zip)

Oh dear I think I will go away and hide:bgrin:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Tad said:
you're totally wrong, fiat and ford became successful with the focus and the new punto just because they're good cars not named jesus or elvis.
no ford and fiat already have a decent reputation. the cars they produced just backed that up. to make things work with mg/rover they need to produce the full works, not just decent cars.

bmws are classed as a great company because they do everything, not just make a great car. marketing, pr, aftersales service, reputation etc etc

a decent name can help towards how sucessful a product is - fact

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
genpk said:
Interesting ,not much news of any activity at Longbridge as yet ?
Over on the Chinese news thread it says that some of the staff are back at their old jobs at Longbridge. I think that counts as activity!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
104 Posts
Bear in mind that the Chinese will probably use the American pronounciation of the letters, so an MG Zed Tee replacement is an MG 7Zee, and the ZedW would be a ZeeW (sounds a bit like VW ohherr!) :err:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I would have thought the opposite, it seems that worldwide, when English is taught as a second language, its usually the British pronunciations and spellings that are used. Doesn't make much difference to US consumers though, the localized advertising will say "MG Zee Three", but the executives back in Nanjing are most likely saying "Zed".

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I seem to recall the name IZ being bandied about.

Was it something IZ?

coat please!

David Lee Newsham said:
All vehicles produced will wear the MG badge, no Austin and no Rover as SAIC have acquired the brand for ALL markets.
(Just my opinion:) Making the mistake of covering all markets with one brand.

No Rover is expected, but what about Austin?

If SAIC are going ahead and ramping up we can only hope for four things:

1. UK partner
2. UK production
3. Rover name to live on
4. UK R&D

So now we have (AFAIK) 3 and 4 and probalby 2!

MG ZW (former TF)

Dunno about the name...

:idea: Or is it MGW?

Blimey they really are going for cod-BMW naming!

MG 3 (former Rover 25)
MG 3Z (former ZR)

MG 5 (former Rover 45)
MG 5Z (former ZS)

NB: The MG 5 and MG 5Z will only be manufactured as a saloon.
Though I think the ZR mark II can do ok, I question the sales of Chinese made 25 Mk II, 45 Mk II, and ZS MK II models in Europe.

MG 7 (former Rover 75)
MG 7Z (former ZT)

NB: The MG 7 and MG 7Z will be revised versions of both the saloon and tourer derivatives.
Sounds good.

Work is advancing on producing coupe versions of both the 7/7Z and ZW models.
Good!

No UK partner, Nanjing have recently secured funding from 2 American banks and a Chinese bank.

Then what about UK production?

If SAIC and Nanjing end up working together and have lots of Chinese (public, State, Provincial and banking) and US money, then it would be very odd for them not to invest in UK production, given the financial advantage of this.

Are they so inward looking that they have made bad decisions? Or is the real conspiracy between SAIC and NAC all along, to the exclusion of more beneficial production and costs?

Of course, it might be that some local pressure is on Nanjing and SAIC to deliver the Chinese end first, and they are just being quiet about the UK end of things? Could even be to steal a march on any possible competitors...

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
streetrover said:
Though I think the ZR mark II can do ok, I question the sales of Chinese made 25 Mk II, 45 Mk II, and ZS MK II models in Europe.
Latterly, MG ZS sales were actually rising in the UK. If they fit the ZS180 bodykit to all models, then I can see a market for the car in the UK. It looks absolutely stunning.

Rover 45 saw very small rises too - unfortunately Rover 25 sales were decreasing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Bob S said:
I would have thought the opposite, it seems that worldwide, when English is taught as a second language, its usually the British pronunciations and spellings that are used. Doesn't make much difference to US consumers though, the localized advertising will say "MG Zee Three", but the executives back in Nanjing are most likely saying "Zed".
I thought British pronunciation only persisted in former British colonies. Japan seems to follow US practice more than British. Don't know about China though - do any of our southern hemisphere members know?

·
Registered
159 Posts
ZRsteve said:
I thought British pronunciation only persisted in former British colonies. Japan seems to follow US practice more than British. Don't know about China though - do any of our southern hemisphere members know?
I'm no expert, but in my experience mainland China tends to go with British pronounciation, while Taiwan prefers American. I wouldn't be surprised if the People's Republic starts to go for American English more and more, though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mad Naming

David Lee Newsham said:
All vehicles produced will wear the MG badge, no Austin and no Rover as SAIC have acquired the brand for ALL markets.

MG 7 (former Rover 75)
MG 7Z (former ZT)

NB: The MG 7 and MG 7Z will be revised versions of both the saloon and tourer derivatives.

Work is advancing on producing coupe versions of both the 7/7Z and ZW models.
With names like these a trip to the local parts dept for some 75 / ZT badges one thinks!!

I'll get my coat --- flip it's closed for the night..

But honestly half a dozen R40 models to choose from how confusing (Badge engineering gone mad)

One big question has the RWD / V8 platform died or is it being made and if so by whom/s??

Regards
Chris

21 - 40 of 91 Posts