MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not been on here for a week or so, whats the latest fron Nanjing? whats the current longbridge situation?

Basically, whats going on?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well, it's been a busy week.

On Monday we heard absolutely nothing from Nanjing or out of Longbridge whatsoever.

Tuesday was similar, except for it was a different day.

By Wednesday, things were really hotting up and we heard... er, nothing.

Thursday is normally a quiet news day anyway, so when nothing happened we were fairly philosophical about it.

Now were half way through Friday and the anticipation of no announcement is really building. We're pretty confident that there will be no news announcement by the end of the day.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Excelent summary Mike :)

Even the Chinese News has been quiet and so the Chinese press started asking questions like:

Is the British people stupid?

"To put it simply, (Nanjing Auto) using less than 800 million yuan got more than four billion yuan worth of tangible, intangible assets in return. Does not the Chinese people stand proud? "

:confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Presumably you all missed the announcement that Nanjing had recruited a 5000-strong workforce to recommence production of the Austin A35 at Longbridge. The car has been updated to incorporate disc brakes and a KV6 engine.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ian Senior said:
Presumably you all missed the announcement that Nanjing had recruited a 5000-strong workforce to recommence production of the Austin A35 at Longbridge. The car has been updated to incorporate disc brakes and a KV6 engine.
Will they be making a Countryman version?

·
Registered
941 Posts
tanvir said:
No, but there will be an XPower MG Z35 V with a supercharged 220bhp KV6
I missed that part of the announcement. Are you confusing it with the bit about using the old Rover V8 engine with twin turbos?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ian Senior said:
I missed that part of the announcement. Are you confusing it with the bit about using the old Rover V8 engine with twin turbos?
I heard a rumour that the KV6 was a little underpowered and the Rover V8 a little overpowered. Hence the new Twin Supercharged Rover KV7.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
e668ecp said:
NAC-MG are recruiting senior staff at present. Approx 200 people now work at Longbridge
Thanks for the only serious answer !

Although the rest were funny.

When you say senior people, what do you mean?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boxwellm said:
200 people now at Longbridge? That is good news. Some momentum is starting to be built up then.
It certainly is when you consider that Longbridge only really needed around 2000 at full swing, so were 10% there already.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
e668ecp said:
Plant managers, legal team, buyers/sourcers, dealer network managers
Do we know any of the people working there, any former employees? where do they advertise, I want a job there.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Windy said:
Excelent summary Mike :)

Even the Chinese News has been quiet and so the Chinese press started asking questions like:

Is the British people stupid?

"To put it simply, (Nanjing Auto) using less than 800 million yuan got more than four billion yuan worth of tangible, intangible assets in return. Does not the Chinese people stand proud? "

:confused:
Sadly Windy, I think all of us here know the answer to that question :(

Worse the British people think that it's been no great loss.

On that basis alone I wish Nanjing sucess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
e668ecp said:
Plant managers, legal team, buyers/sourcers, dealer network managers
Nope, I hear all 200 are Marketing staff.
Which means Nanjing will only need to recruit another 400 to get back to MG-Rover levels.

A Nanjing spokesman commented -
"We are determined to resurrect the previous MG-Rover ethos. Once we reach the previous Marketing Staff numbers of around 600, we will provide a huge office where they can sit around doing absolutely bugger-all for large salaries.
Once the Marketing organisation is in place we might even build a few cars."

:)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MGR had marketing staff?

Are you sure they wer'nt actually employed by a competitor?

Or where they to busy on "From the Jaws of Victory" training days to get involved in the company per-say

1 - 20 of 20 Posts