1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nanjing Auto to launch U.K. output of MGs this month

Reuters |
May 17, 2007 - 10:00 am

SHANGHAI (Reuters) -- Nanjing Automobile's first British-made MG TF sports cars will roll off the Longbridge assembly line late this month, ending the plant's two-year production halt as the Chinese automaker moves to revive the venerable brand.

Nanjing Auto, which took control of collapsed MG Rover two years ago, unveiled its first China-made MG sports cars and sedans in March.

The Longbridge plant will produce its first MG TFs on May 29, Nanjing said, as the company gears up to start selling MG cars in China and elsewhere in the second half.

So far, 98 British dealerships have expressed interest in marketing the vintage brand in Britain, along with others in Germany, Australia and several British Commonwealth countries, it added.

Non-China sales may account for more than half of global MG car sales in the first few years, Zhang Xin, general manager of the Nanjing Auto unit making the cars, told Reuters in April.

But China could become the single biggest market for the MG marque as more Chinese drivers are exposed to the brand, he said.

Nanjing Auto surprised the industry in 2005 when it outbid China's biggest car maker, SAIC Motor Corp., to acquire the major assets of failed MG Rover for $105 million (53 million pounds).

The acquisition underlined Chinese automakers' eagerness to produce higher-end models and to expand into developed markets.

China became a net automobile exporter for the first time in 2005 and its 2006 exports nearly doubled to 300,000 vehicles. But Chinese companies have so far had little success in making volume sales to major, developed markets.
SOURCE: Automotive News

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Nice bit of PR to go with the Re opening of the factory.

Just genuinely hope that this time there is a raft of them behind the one they are going to drive off the line !!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Nice bit of PR to go with the Re opening of the factory.

Just hope that this time there is a raft of them behind the one they are going to drive off the line !!
Even if there are, you will still say that they where all built in Nanjing :shake:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Even if there are, you will still say that they where all built in Nanjing :shake:
See, i try and be positive and all i get is slated ! :flipa:

They havent built anything in Nanjing have they ? I know where this car will come from !! It will be one that has been stashed inside CAB 1 for the last 2 years !! I can be a t**t aswell Windy !

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah but although all the Longbridge cars will secretly be built in Nanjing, all the Nanjing cars will secretly be built at Longbridge. :lol:
Are they going to have secret workers like Willy Wonka and his Umpah Loompah's :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are they going to have secret workers like Willy Wonka and his Umpah Loompah's :lol:
Makes sense now, the chocolate coloured bubbles on the website. Must have a chocolate river as a moving production line. Maybe cars that taste like the colour they are painted. Oh the possibilities are endless...

I just know someone won't see the lighter side of this

·
Registered
881 Posts
:banghead: :banghead: I presume you havent read my other contributions to other threads about NAC then ?

My sense of humour must clash with a lot of others here !
its not your sense of humour or your views which are quite witty, sometimes it just comes across a tad aggressive, thats all.

anyway back to the topic....
Good news about the TF, i cant wait until the 29th to see if the media make a big fuss about it, and I agree with you, thats its a nice bit of PR for them.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
its not your sense of humour or your views which are quite witty, sometimes it just comes across a tad aggressive, thats all.

anyway back to the topic....
Good news about the TF, i cant wait until the 29th to see if the media make a big fuss about it, and I agree with you, thats its a nice bit of PR for them.
And what was "aggressive" about my original comment?

To a person that saw the pictures from Nanjing that had four cars on the line with nothing behind them, i hope NAC dont make the same mistake of taking a "false" picture this time. At least get it taken in such a way that the rest of the line cant be seen if there is nothing else on it !

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
when surely a faked picture is better than the deafening silence of no pictures at all from SAIC? Are they that embarrassed by their Roewe factory?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
when surely a faked picture is better than the deafening silence of no pictures at all from SAIC? Are they that embarrassed by their Roewe factory?
I thought this thread was about NAC and the TF launch not SAIC and Roewe ? Why would SAIC have a launch in China and show it all around the world when 750 isn't destined for Europe or anywhere else as yet ?

My point was make the launch of TF and LB a showpiece, show the doubters they mean business and make sure there are some more cars on the line, if there are not take the picture in the right spot ! I dont think for one minute the pictures will be fake either.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought this thread was about NAC and the TF launch not SAIC and Roewe ? Why would SAIC have a launch in China and show it all around the world when 750 isn't destined for Europe or anywhere else as yet ?
Maybe not showing the pictures around the world, but you'd expect to see some pictures from the Chinese Press at the very least.

Their silence is deafening. ;)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Maybe not showing the pictures around the world, but you'd expect to see some pictures from the Chinese Press at the very least.

Their silence is deafening. ;)
By the time Roewe release their 750 in Europe, the MG-7 maybe long gone or be in a different shell and NAC-MG will have moved on with the times within the Western Market.

SAIC seem to be burrowing themselves in defeat after losing the chance to snap the MG-Rover assets (which they thought they had in the bag). Drifting along not really making any presense and trying to rely on their "Britishness" they have no understand of. If I had seen massive launch of the 750 like NAC did of the MG brand, then I may of changed my mind about SAIC. Also, they seem to be embarresed they only have "1" active car in their Roewe brand. Hardly inspiring.....

Did they not boast about the couple of thousand orders they had? Shame SAIC can't get realistic about their success (which is nothing).

Anyway, back on topic.... very good news it's going to happen 100%. British jobs, development, and active presense to stay involved in the UK/European market. I haven't seen one bit of negative press on NAC here in the UK yet.... *fingers-crossed*. Almost 100 interested dealerships!? The only way is up :D. I bet SAIC could only wish they had the possible chance to gain extra sales in Europe and stopping being narrow-minded about their 1 car.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Hmmm. Reading this, maybe NAC-MG are planning to build cars like the new Skoda Fabia.

I presume you've seen the TV adverts for the new Fabia? I suspect chocolately build quality and spongey handling from that one...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts