MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to take the plunge and go it alone, after earning everyone else money for the last decade it's now my turn (giving up the company car as well, gulp!).

I'll be setting up my Design & Draughting company slowly over the next six months alongside my full time work.

Having trouble coming up with a good name though (i'm an engineer, not a salesman you know!), so anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
STEVEN_NORFIELD said:
I'll be setting up my Design & Draughting company slowly over the next six months alongside my full time work.
How about Norfield Genuine Draught. and have a beer label type logo.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Easy mate - you need to be called Steve Norfield design and Draught services.

Anything else would be daft - Fatal buisness mistake, not calling it what you do.

Say you call it spiffing jobs (or something) How will anyone know what you do? especially if they are searchign for a desinger / draughter on the interweb.

Think simple mate. Believe me - my company name still haunts me to this day. Should have called myself james web services or something....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi steve,

im doing exactly the same!

im only 20 and currently an engineer/manager and over the past 2 years ive been setting up Robo Challenge. We do educational 'Robot Wars' style workshops and shows around the country. We also do corporate events and bday parties.

i had a real hard time chooseing the name of the company but like wildmurphy said it had to contain a clue about what i do hence the name Robo Challenge. People kind of get an idea of what its about roughly.

check out www.RoboChallenge.co.uk its an old site now but you get an idea lol

good look steve! belive me its not easy to make a busines and most the times it sure isnt fun either as the work hours are horrendous for me lol!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
IMPORTANT thing to do as soon as you have an idea is search the Patent Office website for registered and unregistered Trademarks.

Could save you gettng sued further down the line.

I was at a course last week given by the Patent Office and they cannot stress this enough.

Apart form that Northfield Draught and Design, or SN Draughts and Designs. None of these have registered tradmarks.

If there is an identical or even similar name make sure it is not a similar type of business, but then if you have Design or Draughts or something in the title, then you will only have to worry about other design or draught companies

Oh and check Companies House for any similar names too

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
petevick said:
what kind of work do you do Steven
Mechanical and Structural design & draughting. (which includes being on the design team for the Lola B98/10 Le mans car that became the MG Le Mans car).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts