MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i am guessing big time with this but if Nag bring back the ZR i was told that a stripped out "Clubsport" type model was in the offing:-

Facelifted to new "Nag" front end with Golf/Audi honeycombe style front grill.............wind up windows, 1.8 k series as before, Euro 4 will hurt BHP so expect 147 bhp (167 with kit). But a 6 speed box.

No Air-con
Lightweight seats
4 Pot brakes

Any other thoughts?
Mega

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yes they might but i wonder if it will be offered at a "Bargin price". I mean they tried to price the ZR 160 at almost Honda CTR price!

Nope, i hope this time they understand that they need to move Metal.....................That of course IF they import it.

Mega

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
The trouble is that firstly for what you get for your £15k in the CTR, is one hell of a good package, and Honda did well to sell that car at such a competitive price anyway!
Secondly the ZR was never aiming at the CTR, and it should have been priced in line with the Clio 172, and 206Gti etc.

The one thing i don't like about the idea of a clubsport ZR is that at just 147 or 167bhp, you are not going to get a serious level of performance, to compete or even beat the class leaders like the Clio 182 Cup etc. The ZR160 is quick enough for a hot hatch in it's size bracket, but you need more power and a fair bit less weight to make it into a truely class leading and really exciting track focused car IMO!

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends were they post it, below 10K i say fine, but after that your into Seats Ford etc.

Anyone here good at photoshop?
Mega

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhapswe are looking at this the wrong way. We know that the K series is going to struggle to make big BHP and torque..........Why not go with Skoda...........a ZR based on the G series Turbo Diesel?

I mean the l series made a round 123 with twecks, so a imagine the G might make 140, plus a shed full of torque. Run it on the "Red stuff", cheap fast motoring!

Mega

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
what about one of the petronas engines they are supposed to be sorting
isn't there a 200+bhp one supposed to be being developed?! now that would be some zr!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
aye, stick the Petronas 250bhp 2.2 into it! lol ;)

btw, the 160bhp EUIV engine was finished and it was still 160bhp, so that bit about EUIV hurting BHP - rubbish Mike.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
lol

Mega said:
Now i am guessing big time with this but if Nag bring back the ZR i was told that a stripped out "Clubsport" type model was in the offing:-

Facelifted to new "Nag" front end with Golf/Audi honeycombe style front grill.............wind up windows, 1.8 k series as before, Euro 4 will hurt BHP so expect 147 bhp (167 with kit). But a 6 speed box.

No Air-con
Lightweight seats
4 Pot brakes

Any other thoughts?
Mega
This would make sense of the rumours about stripped down bargain ZR's and would make it a bit cheaper to ship the cars over from China.

Will Nanjing be importing normal ZR's? If we see the ZR replacement some time soon (I hope), this could be it's Saxo scooby cousin!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Mega said:
Perhapswe are looking at this the wrong way. We know that the K series is going to struggle to make big BHP and torque..........Why not go with Skoda...........a ZR based on the G series Turbo Diesel?

I mean the l series made a round 123 with twecks, so a imagine the G might make 140, plus a shed full of torque. Run it on the "Red stuff", cheap fast motoring!

Mega
Seem to recall hearing (and I'm damned if I can remember where) that the G Series could have developed 160bhp plus.

As for going with Skoda... it makes as much sense as your idea of cheap motoring courtesy of running a car on red diesel :wtf:

John

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
tanvir said:
Just out of curiousity, will there be a GV6...?
Doubt it. It would effectivly be a brand new engine, it would be cheaper to buy one in.

160PS was the target for the 16v version of the G Series, it was in a thread on here by Rincewind.

Likewise, that was the source re: the EUIV 160.

Otherwise, it wouldn't have been called the 160 engine, would it! lol

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
climbsyke said:
You know the kv6 fits under the ZR's bonnet........
Only just, but it wouldn't be practical, you'd have to drop the engine to change the plugs in the rear bank of cylinders!!

Plus I very much doubt it would pass any crash tests or more to the point, handle very well.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
that's why platinum tipped spark plugs were invented. courtesy of having to remove the entire inlet manifold to change the rear bank on my car I get to pop in platinums every 90,000km

1 - 20 of 24 Posts