MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAC to announce new MG franchises in time for TF’s return
12 May 2007

Nanjing Automobile Corporation (NAC) plans to appoint the UK’s first MG dealers this month. The company is remaining tight-lipped about their identities.

However Stephen Cox, NAC MG’s UK sales/ franchising manager, expects five dealers to have signed franchise contracts by the end of May.

NAC wants a contracted dealer network in place by September, ready for an autumn launch of its re-born MGTF roadster. Cox wouldn’t reveal how many sales points he wants, but says 96 franchise information packs have been sent out.

“A lot of interest has come from the old MG network but there’s been more from the outside,” Cox tells AM. “We’re more interested in the quality of dealers than numbers. We won’t fill locations with just anyone.”

He wants MG’s dealers treated equally and says all franchises will receive the same discounts and there will be no bonus structure.

Dealers will not receive monetary support for their marketing, although Cox says they will all benefit from Nanjing’s launch promotional activity.

Start-up costs are being kept low as Cox expects the MG franchise to be added to an existing franchise. The new corporate identity will be a subtle alteration of the old style under MG Rover in order to indicate the brand’s new ownership.
SOURCE: AMOnline

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well if they want quality rather than quantity, I will believe that when they do NOT sign up SMG in Bristol as MGR were about to revoke their franchise agreement, but went bust as this was underway. They had already appointed a replacement a couple of miles away (now Hyundai)

·
Registered
rover_800
309 Posts
SMG in Bristol are still going having recently moved premises. I'm guessing they're in the frame to get an MG franchise as they haven't changed the branding on their website and still have stacks of Rovers and the parts dept.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
SMG in Bristol are still going having recently moved premises. I'm guessing they're in the frame to get an MG franchise as they haven't changed the branding on their website and still have stacks of Rovers and the parts dept.

Yes I know I was quite upset, a mate phoned me to tell me they had gone bust, it turned out they just moved. Perhaps they are trying to avoid a few customers they have upset!

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
From a conversation I had with Stephen a while ago, they were, I believe, aiming for the smaller dealerships anyway. My personal experience does tend to backup the general consenus that smaller 'owner-driver' dealerships tend to look after and value their customers more than the large, multi-franchise dealership chains.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
There are two sides to the coin...

1. Big dealers have cash and have nicer more prominent sites but poor customer service (on the whole)

2. Small family owned dealers know customers, have excellent service (on the whole) but have less accessible and scruffer sites (on the whole).

There is no happy medium

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
5 dealerships .....

If Longbridge is to begin assembly at the end of this month, shouldnt dealers be ready to take orders otherwise just who are they going to be assembling cars for?

Wasn't that exactly MG Rovers problem, they were assembling and therefore paying for the parts for cars that actually no-one wanted, possibly why more than 2 years later you can still buy a new one?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats 5 dealerships to be signed up by the end of this month - whats the point of having dealers if they have nothing to sell? Especially as the car won't go on sale until the Autumn.

The fact that they sent out 96 dealer packs bodes well. Even if 50% duck out, thats still 48.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Don't forget NAC can sell to companies like Virgin and various car super markets. Not ideal, but acceptable whilst NAC bring the dealer network back on line.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I hope NAC offer an insurance backed warranty, if not I wouldn't even darken their door. Having been bitten twice, yes I bought two new MGs a few months before they went under and my supplying dealer followed them, I do not plan to be in the same situation again.

I should add those two British Built cars from a British owned company are only a summer away from a succesfull 3 years no faults record other than a faulty wheel bearing at 50k on the ZT (I was told it would not have been covered by the warranty anyway). No regrets, but I will be a lot more cautious next time.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
If there's anyone in East Shropshire/South Staffs with a large wod of cash burning a hole in their pocket, the old Kia dealership in the posh end of Wolverhampton (Wergs) is up for lease. It would be perfect as an MG showroom and quite fitting as the old Brindley MG Rover showroom now sells Kias!

If only I had the money....

·
Registered
mg_zr
917 Posts
Don't forget NAC can sell to companies like Virgin and various car super markets. Not ideal, but acceptable whilst NAC bring the dealer network back on line.
If I recall didn't Virgin Cars offer MGR a deal for a large order before MG went bang and were turned down because of potential complaints of Virgin undercuting the main dealers.

Perhaps if MG had researched other avenues of revenue things may have been different.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If I recall didn't Virgin Cars offer MGR a deal for a large order before MG went bang and were turned down because of potential complaints of Virgin undercuting the main dealers.

Perhaps if MG had researched other avenues of revenue things may have been different.
Almost. The way I remember it is that Virgin Cars did sell MGR cars on their website, and dealers did get upset.

·
Registered
mg_zr
917 Posts
No it was more than that.

Yes Virgin did sell MG's and infact I bought my TF from them as a Pre reg.

The deal I'm refering to was large and would have brought a sizeable income to MGR but they declined. Its in the archives somewhere.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There was a much-trumpeted Virgin deal- it was for something silly like £100million worth of cars at bargain prices. The dealers kicked off and it was abandoned. Then they went pop a short while later.

They ought to have done it- the dealers needed a kick up the arse, and it would have demonstrated huge confidence in the company at a time when it really needed it- those credit limits wouldn't have been shortened quite so quickly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts