MG-Rover.org Forums banner

My Rover 620 GSDI Stood For 2 Years

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  E_T_V 
#1 ·
Boy how time flys, i had my 620 GSDI stored for over 2 years and have now come to try to start it up, have changed the oil and filter, charged the battery but its just not firing just little wisps of smoke from exhaust anyone give me any tips on getting her started?

Dale

#4 ·
I have put 5 litres of fresh fuel in the tank, i don't have the workshop manual for the Diesel just the petrol, how do i prime the pump ? i have squeezed the balloon thing near the filter a couple of times till it became firm , the battery has been recharged at my local garage and could power a small town at the moment, engine turns over fast enough. heater plug light comes on and goes off has normal, only done 200 miles since it was last MOT'd 2 years ago

#5 ·
Loosen the fuel bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter.
Pump the priming bulb till bubble free fuel comes out of the loosened bleed screw.
Tighten up the screw
Loosen the injector fuel unions
Turn over the engine until fuel comes out of the loosened fuel unions and tighten them up.
Then with any luck the engine will start.

#8 ·
Well i did the pump priming and there is no air in there now and then i backed off all the injector fuel line nuts but there does not seem to be any fuel coming out of the fuel injector fuel pipes when i turn the engine, i can though hear a quite loud electrical type of buzzing coming from the fuel pump area at the front of the engine???

#11 ·
:idea: just a thought when was the injection pump belt last checked or changed?

is it possible that with it been sat 2 years that the pump has seized and maybe when you have tried to start it you have snapped the belt?

if theres fuel upto the pump but nothing coming out it doesn't sound to promising to me check all the connections electrical wise to pump because if the pump solonoid isn't getting a signal from the ECU again you won't get any fuel out of it.

Cheers Mark

#12 ·
Hi All

Sorry to crash in on a thread,but I have almost exactly the same symptoms on my 220 sdi.It has been idle for about 3 months.
It will not start,no sign of it firing at all.
Just disconnected the fuel injection pipes at the cylinder head and no fuel evident when cranking over the engine.
I have changed over the stop solenoid and am getting a good 12v supply to the solenoid.
The pump injection belt looks OK and I can see no obvious electrical connections not in place.
I am fearing that it is the Pump which is faulty.
Is there anything else,I could try.
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Johnmac

#14 ·
Hi Ron

Many thanks for the reply,will get some easystart and give it a go.

Just been making sure that the stop solenoid is OK and again cheking electrical connections,still not starting.

Can anybody help with which sensors can stop the fuel pump from delivering diesel to the injectors.Can I test any of them or test the supply from the ECU to the injector pump.

Cheers

Johnmac

#16 ·
Ron

Many thanks for the advice,after 3 or 4 attempts at spraying the easy start into the air inlet and running the engine on the easy start,I got diesel through the injection pump and flowing through the pipes to the head.

Been running the engine for 20 mins with no problems.

Hopefully it will start up again tomorrow,with no air leakage problems.

Cheers

Johnmac

#17 ·
Back to life after 2 years

Thanks everyone she fired into life this afternoon needed to charge the battery again, this time Diesel started coming from the injector unions tightened them up and she fired on the key considering shes been stood for 2 years the engine sounded fine ran her on idle till she reached normal running temperature.

One thing i forgot about was before i put her into storage i recalled that the gear changing had become very stiff this was while i had been using her in normal everyday use, the stiffness is still there obviously but i am going to put a seperate post on the forum about this see if anyone can suggest a cause and a cure?

Thanks again. Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.