MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly about myself. I have been driving for about 50 years and have owned many makes/models of cars from Hillman via vw beetle (4 of) through sierra, Montego etc. My last car before the MG was a VW Passat 2 ltr tdi bluemotion. I am very motoring aware and follow many motorsports.

The car. I started looking for a new car late last autumn and looked at several different models but nothing really interested me so I ended up buying my wife a new car instead! We regularly pass a MG garage and decided to go in and look at the new ZS SUV. We were surprised and impressed and had a test drive, followed 2 days later by a second , longer, test drive. The rest is history!

We like the car, it drives well and suits us. The engine seems quite quiet and the auto box works well. It is the excite trim with one litre turbo engine. I have read some reports that it is a bit bouncy and there is one piece of road near me that catches it out. It is an uphill tight s bend with potholes and is not comfortable in any car that I have been in. Speed bumps are best taken carefully also.
For a budget car it is good and the only things I would like to have would be an interior light for the rear seat passengers and better trim on the back of the rear seats although this is not normally seen of course.
I will try to update this every so often if there is any interest. If there are any questions I will do my best to answer hem.
All the best... Chris.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris. Keep the updates coming with the ZS - it'll be interesting to hear the first-hand experiences of an owner.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Welcome to New ZS ownership. I test drove the 1.0t and I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was as an overall package.

I think the reviews have been unfair to the vehicle a lot. Yes it's not German and probably not class leading but for the money can't see anything that can really touch it.

Same with my 3 for what I paid for it nothing else comes close for the spec and what it is.

Hope it serves you well and would be interested in further ownership updates good and bad.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I would also be interested to hear what fuel consumption on the 1.0t auto is like as well if you can let us know. Real world figures are important not quoted figures.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry was partway through putting in a reply when my computer crashed. will try again tomorrow. Is there a time/size limit on posts?
All the best...Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only one journey of note of 21 miles. This consisted of some town, some single carriageway and some dual carriageway. Driving up to the speed limits and in good conditions 46mpg showed on the display. Incidentally the same journey on my previous Passat tdi bluemotion gave 58 mpg so the zs is not too bad. The return journey was in the rush hour and with much heavier traffic and showed 41.5mpg. Driving at a steady indicated 70mph on the dual carriageway the display showed 51.5 mpg. On a 5 mile journey yesterday, starting from cold, 35mpg indicated.
My experience is that we need to look at bhp and not engine size when assessing fuel consumption. A 1 ltr turbo giving 110bhp is similar to an normally aspirated engine giving the same power except perhaps at a steady speed when the turbo engine is probably slightly better. Incidentally it seems well documented that other manufacturers small turbo engines do not achieve their stated mpg figures. My expectations are that 40+mpg figures will be reasonably easily attained.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Only one journey of note of 21 miles. This consisted of some town, some single carriageway and some dual carriageway. Driving up to the speed limits and in good conditions 46mpg showed on the display. Incidentally the same journey on my previous Passat tdi bluemotion gave 58 mpg so the zs is not too bad. The return journey was in the rush hour and with much heavier traffic and showed 41.5mpg. Driving at a steady indicated 70mph on the dual carriageway the display showed 51.5 mpg. On a 5 mile journey yesterday, starting from cold, 35mpg indicated.
My experience is that we need to look at bhp and not engine size when assessing fuel consumption. A 1 ltr turbo giving 110bhp is similar to an normally aspirated engine giving the same power except perhaps at a steady speed when the turbo engine is probably slightly better. Incidentally it seems well documented that other manufacturers small turbo engines do not achieve their stated mpg figures. My expectations are that 40+mpg figures will be reasonably easily attained.
All the best...Chris.
Thanks for that. But what I meant is real world actual figures not regarding what figures are quoted. I. E real brim to brim figures as an average as that is what interests me as OBC can be optimistic as well.

I find my 3 to be fairly accurate but only manage around 36mpg currently in the winter but summer can get it up to 40mpg.

It would be nice to know an actual measured figure over a thankful that's all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello simcor. At the moment most of my journeys are short ones so meaningful fuel consumption figures are hard to come by. I hope to be able to get some tank to tank figures in the next month or so.
All the best...Chris

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Hello simcor. At the moment most of my journeys are short ones so meaningful fuel consumption figures are hard to come by. I hope to be able to get some tank to tank figures in the next month or so.
All the best...Chris
Would be good to hear when you get chance to get some more meaningful figures. I'm interested as I quite like a number of things about the ZS but other things I don't like so much. Would be interesting to see how good fuel economy seems to be with the different 1.5 engine compared to the 1.5 in the 3. I may yet be able to be tempted to buy one. Might even be tempted by a GS in the right spec and colour at the right price.

I would be sorely tempted by the new 6 but can't see it coming over here.

Just consideration stage at the moment though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Two months on and nothing to report. Just two idiosyncrasies,
1. The radio default position is on. If you don't want the radio on you have to mute it. Not a problem but seems odd to me!
2. The key buttons are very sensitive. To lock or unlock takes the slightest touch, beware when you put them in your pocket! Conversely the tailgate button has to be held for a couple of seconds to unlock the tailgate. This happens with both keys. Again not a problem but worth keeping an eye on as I have inadvertently unlocked mine a few times!
All the best... Chris.

·
Registered
mg_tf
407 Posts
The key buttons are very sensitive. To lock or unlock takes the slightest touch, beware when you put them in your pocket! Conversely the tailgate button has to be held for a couple of seconds to unlock the tailgate. This happens with both keys. Again not a problem but worth keeping an eye on as I have inadvertently unlocked mine a few times!
All the best... Chris.
I think this is common to most cars. if it's the same as my GS (and most others cars) if you unlock the car but don't open any doors it'll lock itself again after 10-15 seconds. The boot though requires the button to be held for a longer period because it can't lock itself.

Keep up the reports, I had a look at them when they first came out and was impressed but I haven't driven one yet

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LeRich...I was having a bit of a senior moment! You can switch off the infotainment system which turns off the radio but this leaves a bland screen with a digital clock in the middle. If you do this it stays like this the next time you start up. I prefer to leave the infotainment on and then just mute the radio.

mgbob...yes the doors will relock themselves so no problem but it is still easy to inadvertently push the lock button when putting the key in your pocket or in my wife's case in her handbag. This sets off the "where did I leave my car" alarm which is rather noisy! I have never had this problem with any previous car but I am more used to it now and it is happening much less.

All the best...Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3 months ownership and , due to various reasons (not car related) only 1200 miles covered. It is time to look at some of the points brought up by various magazine test reports...

1, wind noise...I have never noticed it and no passenger that I have carried have commented on it.
2, road noise... yes on certain surfaces there is some tyre noise, on other surfaces it is fine. I think it is probably tyre related and would improve with better tyres.
3, flimsy panel where usb connector is situated. It is a little flexible but if the memory stick is inserted properly it is fine.

I would like to comment on the brakes as I think that they are really good and have just the right feel for me, however my wife thinks that they are too sharp! each to his own I suppose.

I cannot comment on how easy it is to wash as I haven't as yet worked up the energy to do this! I soon will though...I promise!

All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4 months in and first wash/clean completed although I had to use steps to reach the roof! Serves me right for being vertically challenged!
Time to look into an issue that some road tests have commented on and that is the steering. It almost seems that there is slight "stick-tion" in the steering which can make the car seem slightly wandery on some surfaces. This is more of an idiosyncrasy than a problem. I have also tried out the 3 steering modes and just leave it on the normal setting now. I don't find the lighter or heavier settings necessary. My wife has driven the car on a few occasions and finds the steering fine as it is even when manoeuvring in small spaces. It is proving very practical with trips too the tip, garden centre etc. Economy varies considerably and is usually between 35 to 45mpg with a high, so far, of 49.9 on a late night 7 mile trip.
That's all for now,
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Everybody it's time for the 5 month report and as usual it's very little.
It has been back to the agent for a minor trim issue which was fixed quickly and efficiently.
I've also got in a two journeys of a hundred miles or so which have been no problems. Coming back from the North Norfolk coast and keeping up with the traffic flow the mileage reading was showing 52 mpg, which I was pleased with, and then a big traffic jam approaching the Bartons Mill roundabout due to an accident. A diversion into and through Mildenhall caused a delay and subsequent hold ups meant that it was down to 47 mpg by the time I got home, I'm happy with that. I always have difficulty getting a comfortable driving position in any car and the MG is no different but I think that I have it as good as I can get it now as after 2 & 3/4 hours I had no after effects!
That's it for now, any questions please ask.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
15 Posts
Hi just wondering Does the ZS have any type of alarm or imobilizer fitted, I asked about this when ordering my ZS , and the salesman told me it had but it seems oddthere is no mention of this anywhere

1 - 20 of 32 Posts