MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded my MG 3 in early in December for a MG ZS Ltd Edition ZS and thought I would share my initial thoughts after 1 month and 750 miles later.

The ZS is a great looking SUV and considering the purchase price was less than a base model Fiesta then it really represents great value for money. There is a lot of space inside and you can easily fit 4 adults comfortably. Boot space is also excellent but should have luggage hooks to save food shopping bags sliding around.

The 1.5 manual engine is smooth and has clearly been remapped from its predecessor in the MG3. It isn’t quick but the dead spots that existed in the 3 have more or less been dealt with. The gearbox is generally smooth with the exception of 3 to 4 which is quite notchy. The car seems to choke quite highly when started from cold and takes a few minutes to calm down otherwise it tends to be quite lumpy and prone to emulating a kangaroo even when releasing the clutch into 1st gear. This is probably ECU emissions related for Euro complience.

Around town the ZS rides really well and deals with broken and rough surfaces with solid dampening from the suspension. This is a major improvement from driving the MG3. I have however found the ZS to be very unsettled on motorway journey’s, so much so that I got the wheel balancing checked out to make sure there were no issues underlying. Has anyone else found this to be an issue? Whilst driving above 50mph the car seems to undulate even over the smoothest surfaces and you feel like the car struggles to get things under control with vibration into the cabin. I’m a bit apprehensive about this as I tend to drive to France every a year for Summer.

The infotainment system failed but I got the unit replaced under warranty. Its graphics are excellent, is touch responsive and easy to use. I was surprised that the Ltd Edition only came with 2 front speakers and 2 tweeters located in the A pillars, and would have expected speakers in the rear as standard. Apple CarPlay however is brilliant at this price point.

The fuel economy has exceeded expectations and I have regularly achieved top 40’s and on occasion over 50 mpg. Bear in mind the engine is still running in and amidst winter temperatures I think this is excellent for an SUV.

It has been a mixed bag so far but looking forward to things improving and again as I stressed at the start the car did cost less than a base model Fiesta. If you have any comments or thoughts feel free to share.

Kind regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
other_mg
42 Posts
I regularly go over to Belgium with the ZS and am happy with the long distance cruising MPG. It handles the higher motorway sppeds well up to about 90, but struggles to get beyond that. Very nice seats on a long jouney, but we have about 2 hours to Dover, then 2 hours onwards.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi Mark,

The NSE+ engine is completely different to the old NSE engine in the MG3 hence different characteristics.

The lumpy running from cold can be dealt with by an ECU update under warranty. You might need to check with your MG dealer if this was done. If your car does not have the ECU fix then it is most noticeable when the engine is very cold and you reach 2000 rpm in second gear and you hit a flat spot. The ECU fix also fixes the issue of the A/C zapping engine power when it is used.

The suspension is very soft and it is known that the car does have a tendency to suffer from bouncing at speed. This can be helped by using the spacers used in the springs like caravan owners use when towing as it stiffens the suspension.

The radio module does seem to be problematic and in some cases either needs replacement or a 1 min disconnection from the fuse box in order to perform a reboot.

The Exclusive has 6 speakers but as your car is based on the Excite, you do not get the rear ones. It is not possible to retrofit rear speakers as the infotainment system has to be programmed in the factory to accept rear output even if you have a wiring loom and speakers fitted.

Enjoy your car.

Cheers..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for your comments and will keep you updated.

Mattykan - regarding the suspension is this something which you noticed with your ZS and did you fit the spacers?

Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your comments and will keep you updated.

Mattykan - regarding the suspension is this something which you noticed with your ZS and did you fit the spacers?

Regards,
Mark.
The car does like to bobble up and down when travelling on non smooth surfaces and I can sometimes whack the back of my head on the head restraint when going over speed bumps. This is a characteristic of the soft suspension which I have kind of got used to.

I've not personally fitted the spring spacers in order to reduce the "springiness".

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This product sounds promising:

MAD Helper / Auxiliary Suspension Coil Springs (assisters, towing, caravan)

Holidays

Going on holiday you want the drive to be a smooth as possible, you may have more baggage than you thought. The extra weight can have an effect on your car’s suspension. MAD helper springs will help keep your car level, improve traction and grip.
MAD helper spring kits offer a quick and easy solution to improve safety and driving comfort. So instead of your vehicle sitting low on its’ rear suspension, or the suspension sagging due to the extra weight, by fitting MAD suspension it will drive a lot more level, therefore it will be:
  • Safer
  • Have better grip
  • Improved traction
  • Not bottom out over speed bumps
  • Better stability
If you pack your car too heavily you run the risk of reducing your car’s grip on the road. The steering will be less intuitive and your braking distance may also be increased. Having your car loaded too heavily at the rear will reduce the grip your front wheels have and all of these reductions in performance reduces the safety of your car on the road.

Keep your Car Safe on Holiday
Your car’s suspension is not built for large amounts of heavy luggage. Carrying over your car’s load limit when going on holiday can reduce your road grip and make the car unstable. What can you do?

This is how helper springs work

Many passenger cars are built for regular use. Most weight recommendations are calculated based on a lighter load. In practice, this can often be exceeded with extra luggage.
Car manufacturers do not count on you to regularly load your car with heavy items; whether it is luggage, a bike rack or a trailer. Heavy trailers or caravans are also a problem. Helper springs are the solution.
An helper spring is an extra spring that you can place next to or in the springs of your car. The auxiliary springs from MAD help the existing suspension to bear the total weight and improve your cars driving comfort.
The car can handle heavier loads through caravans and trailers. Speed bumps and bumpy country roads are no longer a problem! This way you always reach your destination safely.
Helper Springs are Affordable
Auxiliary springs are relatively inexpensive compared to other heavy load solutions. The assembly of the springs is also done in no time so you can set off on your holidays immediately.

Cheers..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information and link. Regarding the lumpy engine when cold and the ECU fix - is this something which MG have informed dealers about and have they been mandated to carry out at first service schedule ?

Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Thanks for the information and link. Regarding the lumpy engine when cold and the ECU fix - is this something which MG have informed dealers about and have they been mandated to carry out at first service schedule ?

Regards,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

I had to take my car back twice to finally fix the issue and both times it was done under warranty. Normally MG dealers will update the car with fixes at the time of the service including updating the ECU. This is to ensure that any warranty issues won't arise further down the line.

The dealer Apple MG also performed a steering fix which resolved an issue with the steering being too light, again under warranty.

Some owners also had a cam sensor replacement done but my car didn't have this issue.

Cheers..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings from Chile

The economic consume is thanks to the Atkinson cicle with a DVVT controlled with a Bosch electronics, inside the engine. Here, MG fail in make public the excellent technologies inside the automobiles.

My "thundertank" have 1200 km of pure happines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts