MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i bought a 51 MG ZR 2 litre TD, took it for a run and noticed lower end lack of power and black exhaust smoke when accelerating (felt like James Bond on the M1 with a smoke screen). Garage says its the MAF, is the smoke usual with MAF problems or is there another problem that they are not telling me about until the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
the poor power you are experiancing does sound like the MAF, they will probably just replace it rather than trying to clean it, they are known for going out of calibration. The balck smoke may be down to a dirty air filter or just in need of a decent hard run

Ben.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Tripper zrtd said:
Last week i bought a 51 MG ZR 2 litre TD, took it for a run and noticed lower end lack of power and black exhaust smoke when accelerating (felt like James Bond on the M1 with a smoke screen). Garage says its the MAF, is the smoke usual with MAF problems or is there another problem that they are not telling me about until the warranty runs out.
Yeah, go for a good thrashing before the garage change the MAF. That should cure the smoke problem. Also tip a bottle of injecter cleaner in approx 1/4 of a tank of fuel before going for a thrash.

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts