MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that even with the heater off, the consul and gear stick are gets very hot. Naturally, it makes the car very warm in the summer, any advice welcome please guys please?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,655 Posts
Generally, they do get quite toasty, if it is anomaly hot it is possible that the valve that stops hot water from going into the heater matrix isn’t working. When the car is hot and you put the fan on do you get hotter air than ambient?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I notice that even with the heater off, the consul and gear stick are gets very hot. Naturally, it makes the car very warm in the summer, any advice welcome please guys please?
Might be something to do with the cooling pipes running under the center console. In the summer, stuck on the M25 , it used to remind me why I had a soft top and drop the hood...

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
367 Posts
Thanks Chris, it was very hot this week, but I think the Air on cold was about right. At my next service, is this An easy fit, look at buddy?
I have the same problem, my heater valve does not work and I've been led to believe that they are not repairable or new ones available. Its quite a job to take them out, removing the bottom part of central console, draining cooling system etc. I've just learnt to live with it, its not too bad when the hood is down. Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Are you turning the hot/cold all the way down to cold? My vents bleed air even when turned off, but as long as the dial is turned down to cold the airflow is not hot.

Agreed that it's a boon in the winter as they get super toasty really quickly. The worst for me is when it's a warm wet day and the hood soaks in heat but you can't drop the hood because it's raining, and opening a window when it's raining gives me a wet leg from the constant drip that comes from the front corner of the roof lol. Steamy windows time.

·
Registered
cityrover
13 Posts
I have the same problem, here in Spain sun and hot is high in summer time, i broke the centre console heater control selection from cold to warm, so i open the hood of the car and open or close the heating tap from outside. I am used to do that twice a year, no problem, it is an old car, many things to be damaged lol.
I used to park on the shade where the sun doesn't hit it or if it is not possible i put a sunshaded on the windshield.
It is a hotty car with its carpets and confortable seats, in winter is good.
Air condicionater is broken too, lol.
It is a car of 25 years old, goes good, minor problems.
I put on the dashboard a fan with the cigarrette electrical connection, it do something not much.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the same problem, here in Spain sun and hot is high in summer time, i broke the centre console heater control selection from cold to warm, so i open the hood of the car and open or close the heating tap from outside. I am used to do that twice a year, no problem, it is an old car, many things to be damaged lol.
I used to park on the shade where the sun doesn't hit it or if it is not possible i put a sunshaded on the windshield.
It is a hotty car with its carpets and confortable seats, in winter is good.
Air condicionater is broken too, lol.
It is a car of 25 years old, goes good, minor problems.
I put on the dashboard a fan with the cigarrette electrical connection, it do something not much.
Hi there is no heater tap under the bonnet of an MGF. You must be talking about a different car. But thanks for your input. Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you turning the hot/cold all the way down to cold? My vents bleed air even when turned off, but as long as the dial is turned down to cold the airflow is not hot.

Agreed that it's a boon in the winter as they get super toasty really quickly. The worst for me is when it's a warm wet day and the hood soaks in heat but you can't drop the hood because it's raining, and opening a window when it's raining gives me a wet leg from the constant drip that comes from the front corner of the roof lol. Steamy windows time.
Hi, my heater control knob is all the way down on cold setting but as the control tap is not stopping the hot water from circulating (ie its broken) it gets hot. Turn on the fan and it blow hot. Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi, my heater control knob is all the way down on cold setting but as the control tap is not stopping the hot water from circulating (ie its broken) it gets hot. Turn on the fan and it blow hot. Regards. D4KGP.
Are you sure it is the valve that is broken and not the control switch/knob? They are notoriously flappy in my experience and can slip around the metal central control arm. Try removing the round plastic dial and turning the central metal part anti-clockwise with some pliers. Might work 🤞

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you sure it is the valve that is broken and not the control switch/knob? They are notoriously flappy in my experience and can slip around the metal central control arm. Try removing the round plastic dial and turning the central metal part anti-clockwise with some pliers. Might work 🤞
Hi yes I'm sure. I checked all of that before and that works ok, it moves the valve back and fore ie open & closed. But as I say it is not closing the flow in the closed position. Thanks for you input. Regards D4KGP.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi I was looking online yesterday (as we do) and I noticed that there is a company who does a refurbished heater valve for Fs/TFs. But I have forgotten the name and where they are (age I suppose) I'll look again later and let you know. That's if you are interested. Regards D4KGP.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
292 Posts
I know that technically its a non serviceable part but has anyone taken one apart? I presume the cable shuts/opens a butterfly or something similar and that's probably the failure point.
I have never seen the part but looking at images on line it appears similar to many others, the mounting bracket looks as though it could probably be altered to take an alternative, preferably one that's readily available.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know that technically its a non serviceable part but has anyone taken one apart? I presume the cable shuts/opens a butterfly or something similar and that's probably the failure point.
I have never seen the part but looking at images on line it appears similar to many others, the mounting bracket looks as though it could probably be altered to take an alternative, preferably one that's readily available.
Hi, this company does refurbished units: Discount MG Rover Spares 02380 001133, [email protected]. Regards D4KGP.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi I believe there is something about these valves and taking them to pieces on this forum by CJJ. Check it out. Regards D4KGP.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, did you get this sorted? I managed to find and purchase a new unit (yes new) that had been in storage for some time. Hope to fit it later in the year. If everything is ok with cancer op. Regards. D4KGP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts