MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
8 Posts
Hi there.

My dad died last week, leaving his wife with my grandfather's white 1996 (P plate) Rover 620 (ice blue leather interior) parked outside, which he'd been driving since my grandfather's death 10 years ago. The car has been maintained regardless of expense but it's obviously quite an old vehicle now. It's a white 620GSi, with ice blue leather interior and 109544 miles on the clock.

Here's the only image I have (for now)

I don't know very much more about the car - My grandfather bought it new and kept it garaged for the first 12 years of its life - it was used only fairly occasionally as my grandpa was fairly elderly by that point and wasn't a big driver.

My dad put most of the miles on it (it's had no other owner apart from my dad and grandpa) - about 8,000 miles a year over 10 years, mainly on holiday trips to Cornwall and Wales from his home in Derbyshire. The car was obviously very special to my dad and he made sure that everything that needed doing on it was properly attended to by a local ex-rover mechanic.

The car is currently parked outside my father's wife's home in Bolsover, Derbyshire but the Tax runs out at the end of the month so it will be securely parked off-road at the premises of the afore-mentioned mechanic.

It's a sad story and I would obviously like to spare my dad's wife the upset of having to have a car with such sentimental attachment towed away for scrap - especially when it has plenty of life left in it.

It's on the other side of the country to me and I have nowhere to keep it (I looked into how much it would cost to have my son insured on it as a first car and that's not going to happen!) - So ideally what both myself and my dad's wife would like is for it to go to an enthusiast who will appreciate it for it's quality and keep it running - she's not looking for massive amounts of money for it - but the money will go towards paying my dad's funeral bill.

I'll endeavour to answer any questions asked but please be aware that I don't have access to the car and my dad's wife is not a car enthusiast :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Really need more info. on car, such as general condition, mot etc.
Nobody is going to buy an old car without this.
Plus more photos all round.
Also price wanted.

·
Registered
mg_tf
10 Posts
It's worth about 400 quid depending on condition/faults and where abouts the vehicle is. If you study the market you will see that I'm right. Discount the traders they're waiting for a mug.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's worth about 400 quid depending on condition/faults and where abouts the vehicle is. If you study the market you will see that I'm right. Discount the traders they're waiting for a mug.
i normally pay more but depends on the optional extras :))) i love big engines and lots of extras..
can someone tell me what optional extras car have and whats engine inside is it 2.3 or ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. The car has a 2.0 engine. Needs brakes (front pads and discs only) to pass MOT (was tested last week). Price would be open to offers. Car is in Bolsover, Derbyshire.

·
Registered
mg_tf
205 Posts
My grandfather's/father's Rover 620.

Hello Dominic,
I really sympathise with you over the loss of your dad, and the fact that you are left to dispose of the car - which I understand is located some distance away.
I can understand you wishing to 'find a good home' for it and indeed to realise the highest price for it, but the combination of the two can be a most difficult task, even if you were controlling this from your door step.

In my book, 'open to offers' is simply not enough, and being pessimistic, is quite likely to lead to the car sitting where it is now and deteriorating, and obviously decreasing in value, and may eventually lead to it being scrapped, on the basis of its deteriorated condition not warranting the expenditure.

Is it possible your dad inherited the car from your grandfather? If so, the car doesn't owe anybody anything, and finding the 'good home' and of paramount importance - quickly- becomes the prime mover here.
If it were mine, the open-to-offers would be out of the window, and a very realistic minimum price set. - and advertised - to ensure its rapid disposal and removal, to miniimise the risk of it being left around and invoking memories.
I hope you have some luck with it in the very near future.
Kind regards,
Austin

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sincere condolences.

If you can't keep it in the family - which would be a shame considering the provenence - and there's not enthusiast interest here - if I were you, I'd get the work done to put it through the MOT and then no reserve it on a well known auction site, starting the reserve at the cost of the MOT.

Good luck with it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts