MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first MG zs last week and I'm loving it. But I've noticed a weird thing with the clutch. Its had a brand new clutch kit fitted (uprated one) about 3 months ago. So the clutch is deffinately NOT slipping but if I'm really rough and boot it in a high gear I get symptons as if its slipping. I know this is not the case as its all been renewed (m/c, slave etc) but I just don't know whats causing it. Does anyone know if theres a safety type feature that prevents you from snapping things by releasing the clutch when you hit a certain amount of torque??? I know some bike engines have slipper clutches on and wondered if this might be the case with the ZS too??
Oh by the way, I'm new so play nice.....

Thought I should also say (trying not to sound arrogant and ego like) I do know about cars. I have built and have a lotus 7-esque car as my sunday drive about and also a series 3 landy that I'm restoring. So when I say its deffinatly not slipping due to age/abuse I know this to be the case! Cheers for any help ppl can provide.....Oli.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
If its slipping then the clutch is fubared I'm afraid. Has the engine been played with with and seriously upgraded? That can kill the clutches very quickly.
Jim

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think it's a normal reaction when you try to pull away with too much revs.
with my little 1.6l k, it's either my fat wheels spinning or clutch slipping and then zoooooom.
there's a lot of torque when you rev the engine above 3k rpm.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
What EXACTLY is meant by an uprated clutch? Is it different hydraulics or a different clutch? A sure way to check if the cause is the hydraulics is to check that the lever thet the slave cylinder pushes on can be pushed in towards the slave cylinder. You will need to lever it using a flat screwriver against a rib ont he gearbox and lever. If it does not move then there is a problem with clutch wear or the hydraulics. If you have one of "my" clutch hydraulic kits fitted then it can be that the pedal stop is too low. This stops a valve in the master from opening and can cause slipping as the clutch wears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts