MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Having bought my very first MGF (1999 tahiti blue) last week, it has spent this week (well the last 2 days) in the garage getting serviced. So now I am looking forward to the weekend when I will get to drive it for any distance for the very first time!

Just a bit excited, so thought I would share it with you all, as I am sure you'll all remember your first time! Hopefully the sun will shine and the roads will empty!

Rob

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Rob

I certainly do remember my first time !!

I've no idea of your background but ....

Please don't forget that it is a mid/rear engine with rear wheel drive - something that a lot of new owners forget or ignore.

Explains the relatively high number of new owners who complain of dangerous or unpredictable road holding in the wet and end up in ditches or resting damaged wheels against kerbs.

Looks like being a great weekend - hope you enjoy the ca as much as we all enjoy ours.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,285 Posts
Have fun!

I do indeed remember the first top down dive in the TF. It was Boxing Day 2004 two days after I had bought the car and decided to take the HT off to cheek the condition of the hood and then went for a topless drive around the block, shame it was –3 degrees C at the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey sprinter and chris T.

Thanks for your replies. Sprinter, those were very wise words, and good to see people looking out for others on here. It is my first rear wheel drive car and that is part of the reason I bought it....many people claim it is the REAL way a car should be powered and with the mid engine it should perform beautifully. Going to take it easy though as don't want to prang it! Will make hay while the sun shines though as I expect a rear wheel drive car to be a bit of a nightmare in the snow/rain/ice of winter!

Chris, sounds like you enjoy yours all year round. -3 brrrrr, hope your heater worked!

:) Have a great one if your out and about on the roads this weekend!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just remember

Check the water level regularly to help avoid dreaded head gasket failure!(you will read lots about "HGF" and its not a new model)

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks brian, yeah, just had its major 60,000 service as I thought i would get it done as soon as I bought it, to get its cam belt sorted, sparks and filters all freshened up. Also got the geometary sorted as it was a bit out on the front and the rear.

So fingers crossed all will be well. I know this may appear to be the dumbest question on this whole forum, but I assume there is a line on the water bottle where it should roughly stay filled to?

Wanna keep my new baby in top shape!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Supersonic.

Wow an event just down the way, I may well head down to see what everyone's up to. I have heard that once you start going to these events, it becaomes a bit addictive......must try to remember the g/f.....LOL!!!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums chap :)

I am 3 months into ownership of mine (first RWD car also) and as Sprinter said,if you play safe you will be fine - I believe the key is to drive smooth and not have the revs too high entering a corner :)

I love mine and couldn't be without her now:) I'm sure you will feel the same.

Pictures please!!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Stampy said:
.....and not have the revs too high entering a corner.....
depends what you want to do thru the corner :hyper:, but yes, for a RWD novice, your spot on Stampy.

......and welcome to the mad world of .org :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks petervick, stampy and supersonic.

Cheers for the cornering advice.....i'll try and keep it smooth and power out of the corners, not into them.

Cheers supersonic, I'll take a look at that site for MG meets.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Welcome to te mad-house, Rob!

Good colour choice, by the way ;)
You can be in the Tarty Blue Club now! :bgrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts