MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get rid of the black plastic dotted all over my car, so today I finally got the paint etc. Had to start again once because the dog decided she liked the smell of the paint and wanted a silver nose. Turned out like this...





Lol i was quite pleased... full respray next... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
that looks really good mate, I've gota do this really, want to do the door handles but dont know how to get them off the car! Whats the finish like in the flesh?
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plum25 said:
that looks really good mate, I've gota do this really, want to do the door handles but dont know how to get them off the car! Whats the finish like in the flesh?
It looks a lot shinier in the flesh. Think I might take them off and put a few more coats of lacquer on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
gbarton86 said:
It looks a lot shinier in the flesh. Think I might take them off and put a few more coats of lacquer on.
Could you tell me the paint laquer primer and equipment you used? May aswel do it this week.
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Halfords Paint Preparation Wipes
Halfords Grey Primer
Halfords Rover Platinum Silver Metallic Paint
Halfords Clear Lacquer

lol.

Also, get a gun to attached to the top of the can, makes things a lot easier. Got mine from B&Q. Oh.. and i wore a glove because the cans kept giving me static shocks every time I released the trigger. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
gbarton86 said:
Halfords Paint Preparation Wipes
Halfords Grey Primer
Halfords Rover Platinum Silver Metallic Paint
Halfords Clear Lacquer

lol.

Also, get a gun to attached to the top of the can, makes things a lot easier. Got mine from B&Q. Oh.. and i wore a glove because the cans kept giving me static shocks every time I released the trigger. ;)
I bought one of them guns for spraying from Halfords when I bought some cans from there. Guess what....it didn't fit Halfords own tins...WTF? Bloomin' geniuses!:bigeyes:
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 30 quid all together, and I did the 2 back bumper inserts aswell. It's pretty simple to be honest. I don't know if this is going to make sense but start spraying off the insert and move across it, so the spray is even. I used 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of paint, and 2 coats of primer.

ashy said:
I bought one of them guns for spraying from Halfords when I bought some cans from there. Guess what....it didn't fit Halfords own tins...WTF? Bloomin' geniuses!:bigeyes:
LOL! Lucky I got mine from B&Q then... :)
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cerberus1983 said:
hey man that looks really well!!! were the inserts easy to get off?
They're held on by 6 clips. I managed to break 2 clips on both getting them off using a screwdriver and prizing them out, but they're still secure with 4 clips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
plum25 said:
that looks really good mate, I've gota do this really, want to do the door handles but dont know how to get them off the car! Whats the finish like in the flesh?
**** easy to take the handles off. open the door, take the door card off and then you'll see two bolts...undo these and detatch it from the metal rod and out it pops...wow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Hincey said:
**** easy to take the handles off. open the door, take the door card off and then you'll see two bolts...undo these and detatch it from the metal rod and out it pops...wow!
cheers hincey, I'll have a stab at this later in the week. Will post pics up when I'm done :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Door handles are easy-ish to take out, but it's time consuming. The worse part is stripping them down to paint them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
ashy said:
Door handles are easy-ish to take out, but it's time consuming. The worse part is stripping them down to paint them.
nah its not that bad really. only takes a few minutes per door handle to strip. get a pointy metal tool, knock the pin out, and pull the rest out with a pair of pliers. the ***** is when it comes to spraying them!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top