MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm afraid I can't believe that.

After speaking to Noble Motorsport after mine and Donnys runs, we were only losing about 17% through transmission. You're losing a lot more.

·
Registered
551 Posts
sorry cant read the figures from the pic, could u right down the fogures
Very good figures indeed there Scott although a little suspect as i thought it was near impossible to get over 150bhp from these engines without serious mods? I'm not questioning the results as i don't want to be the one starting off the handbag session but could you list exactly what had been done to your car at the time it was dyno'd please? Might help clarify things a little, cheers.

@ Mad

figures are

Max Power :-160.5hp
Power Tyre :- 106.9hp
Dispersed :-53.5hp
corrected :- 164.1hp
Torque :- 240.5

Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Well maybe i should go for a run on this rolling road because if you do the maths on this and apply the figures/ loss's that are equated in the results from this Dyno i would of been running 200.79 bhp!

151.2bhp at the flywheel - 20% (genarally agreed max loss through the PG1 gearbox/transmission) = 120.96 bhp at the wheels.

160.5 bhp - 66% (to the nearest 1%) = 106.4 bhp at the wheels.

So taking the 66% loss's from scotts dyno and working backwards

My bhp figure at the wheels 120.96 + 66% transmission loss's equated off scotts RR figures = 200.79 BHP at the flywheel Hey i broke the 200 BHP mark!

Sorry i wish!! Because that would mean that my 400 is more powerful and faster than Dave's R25 i don't think so since i had a ride in his and mine is still some bit slower than his!

Applying the figures in the case of scotts car 106.4 BHP at the wheels +20% loss tansmission loss's
= 127.68 BHP at the flywheel which seems a far more acceptable figure depenant on the spec that the car is running. No disrespect ment Scott Just think Chipped uk's rolling road is well out on its calibration.

Cheers Mark

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just a quick one here from somebody who understands dyno charts a bit better, Is there something wrong with corrected figure seeming as the Max power stat is 160.5hp, but the corrected is 164.1? Is that possible?

Can the corrected figure actually be higher than the Max power figure?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know the figures are wrong that chipped uk gave me, but its nice to dream:cloud9: the figures were given with only a superchip and an induction kit!!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
i know the figures are wrong that chipped uk gave me, but its nice to dream:cloud9: the figures were given with only a superchip and an induction kit!!
If that what you are running then i would be very happy with my suggested figure of 127.68BHP at the flywheel and i bet it won't be
far off what the car is acually running, not to far off the gains that superchips claim either of a 130ish! BHP.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just a suggestion, but could these massive discrepancies in the rolling roads have anything do with the gearing on diesels, the higher gearing may be throwing it off?? most people that mod are pet. heads, and so it seems only logical to me that rolling roads estimate with that in mind, i.e. based on the charactersitics of a petrol engine, maybe this is having an effect also???

·
Registered
865 Posts
Feels like he is banging his head against a brick wall!!!! please people i dont wish to sond rude but maybe look at Wingy's thread, especially the last page and then come back and review your comments. If you understood the workings of a rolling road then you would realise how silly the comments are on not believing these figures.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just a quick one here from somebody who understands dyno charts a bit better, Is there something wrong with corrected figure seeming as the Max power stat is 160.5hp, but the corrected is 164.1? Is that possible?

Can the corrected figure actually be higher than the Max power figure?

Cheers.
Any chance anybody out there with dyno knowledge could answer this for me please as i'm a little baffled by it! I thought corrected power was power at wheels + dispersed power, but the corrected power doesn't add up, and it's more than max power hit?

Maybe Scott has a car that's been previously fettled by somebody that has done the injector modding route but unless the car's dyno'd again i don't think anyone will know for sure. This is the problem with rolling road results from what i've read on here, Unless everyone gets dyno'd at the same place we'll never know power stats for sure.

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Phil corrected power is the max power corrected to a given atmospheric pressure and temperature. I believe for the din 70020 the vales are 20 c and 1000 mbar pressure so as the pressure is below this and the temp above a positive correction value is added (ie there is less molecules of air as it is less dense becase of both pressure and temp)

As for the figre the only figre that is wrong is the WHP figre as the losses (i hate the transmission loss phrase as it clearly isnt just transmission) are wildly out. Without repeating myself to much the only measured figure is the torque. If you work that back to the flywheel power sing torque x engine rpm/5252 then the figure quoted is spot on. I would suspect the WHP figure (which is worked out last NOT first as all believe) and the losses are so wildly ot as it has not been calibrated correctly and so drag de to bearing wear etc is part of this figure. Just have a look at the other thread if you want more details and remember just because some "expert" tells you it is fact doesnt always mean it is the case.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Evening chaps,

yes chipped uk seem to have figures that are debatable! There is something that is out on the calibration of the whp.

Just for a matter of interest all who doubted my R25 and the power claims I have just recorded a 11.6 seconds 30-90 in fourth.

Put that into perspective 130-150 bhp dervs are taking approx 15-16 seconds to do the same measure.

As we all know donnydiesel has just put his 400 on the rollers at probably the best RR in the uk and got 151 bhp and a shade over 200 lb/ft of torque which is a very credable result, 6 months ago 150bhp from the L series was unheard of, so welll done Mark. To take nearly 4 seconds off his 30-90 time takes some significant extra power across the rev range.

Whether chipped uk fudged my figures or not what i do know is that with the times that my R25 is posting with a detuned pump suggest that the flywheel power recorded is within 10-15bhp of the dyno printout.

Just wait till i get the 4 branch inlet manifold manufactured and maybe a vnt blower, then we will see some serious hot hatch beating times.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Evening chaps,

yes chipped uk seem to have figures that are debatable! There is something that is out on the calibration of the whp.

Just for a matter of interest all who doubted my R25 and the power claims I have just recorded a 11.6 seconds 30-90 in fourth.

Put that into perspective 130-150 bhp dervs are taking approx 15-16 seconds to do the same measure.

As we all know donnydiesel has just put his 400 on the rollers at probably the best RR in the uk and got 151 bhp and a shade over 200 lb/ft of torque which is a very credable result, 6 months ago 150bhp from the L series was unheard of, so welll done Mark. To take nearly 4 seconds off his 30-90 time takes some significant extra power across the rev range.

Whether chipped uk fudged my figures or not what i do know is that with the times that my R25 is posting with a detuned pump suggest that the flywheel power recorded is within 10-15bhp of the dyno printout.

Just wait till i get the 4 branch inlet manifold manufactured and maybe a vnt blower, then we will see some serious hot hatch beating times.

Cheers.
i wouldnt doubt your power figures as the times speak for them selves but these dyno results are out by a big way chippeduk are takin the mickey a little now with people and everyone should question the results and get a retest or refund just not fair on people paying for results like these. please everyone find another dyno to use dont waste your money.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Evening chaps,

Cheers.
Dave, I totally agree i don't doubt the your R25 is producing a Flywheel figure close or around what the Chipped Uk dnyo graph shows in the 180 bhp+ region my judgment on this simply i've had a ride in Dave's R25 and using mine as a benchmark running 151 BHP it makes mine look and feel like its a standard 101bhp sdi that how much of a difference there is!!

And again as Dave said the wheel hp figures is where the questions have asked.

Maybe a trip down to Noble motorsport as a group/club booking on a saturday morning might be in order (reduced rates) for Dave and some more of us to get some accurate indications of what our 'machines' are really producing i know i will be up for another session down there in about 5-6 weeks time when i've got my new gearbox and clutch fitted and bedded in along with Dave's modified injectors and some other odds and ends done.

If that sounds like plan then i'll start a thread to organise something along those lines, another .org meet oppurtunity?

Cheers Mark.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts