MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 75 Contempory SE is now a year old having covered 31,000 miles. I was very excited when picking up the new facelift model after 2 yrs with my 2001 75, but from day one it has been a let down!

Some of you may remember that I had an awful whining noise when I left the dealership on day 1 that has never been cured, eventhough the injector pump was replaced in a desperate attemp to fix noise. The dealers (2) has been great but has not, even with MGR's help been able to cure the whine. The list of things that have gone wrong is as follows;

18 days off road in 1 year
Broken spot welds on body causing horrendous noise
Injector pump replaced,
Clutch and pressure plate replaced
clutch damper fitted
clutch damper leaked dry and I was left on side of M5 with no clutch
Wrong wheels from factory
All wheel nuts replaced due to rust
Bulkhead squeaking noise on accel and deccel (Dealer failed to fix)
Vibrating noise behind instruments( dealer said and I quote'' we could not find it but we moved and bent a few things, see how it goes''!)
Vibrating dash vent vanes (dealer could not fix)

This is not the sort of quality I expect for 20K and I am for the first time seriously considering buying a non MGR car, unless something dramatic happens to update the 75 and improve build quality.

The dealer accepts that this is unnacceptable but MGR do not seem to want to know about it. :mad:

G

·
Is it a CDTi? The clutch problems are BMW faults not MGR's even though MGR fit them.

The vents can easily be fixed - I pulled out my dash to fit a bluetooth car kit and inserted little bits of foam around te vents - deathly silence in the car now - not that it was noisey before. Still a rattle at between 2000-3000 revs from passenger front somewhere - I suspect the bracket behind the Airbag.

Overall superb car. Got some comments of some kids today saying good choice, nice car, bet thats fast etc

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
u should not have to fit foam yourself to cure rattles etc on a 20k car IMO. would u have to do this on a bmw or a jaguar????

i would expect it on a ford or vauxhall but never a rover!!!!

unfortunately i think build quality and quality control is sumwhat lacking in rover cars at the moment.

i changed from a 200 to a 25 and the difference in quality is amazing. poor quality materials and poor fit/finish seem to be the norm now.

on the whole the cars are reliable but the niggles in build are letting rover down badly at a time that confidence in the rover name is at an all time low.

my 25 has been back numerous times due to build quality issues that just weren't there in the 200.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I'm just hoping that this is not the start of a trend or a sign of things to come with R-60 or any other models. It is stupid that this is happening really.

Tell MG-R to get off their **** and give you another car!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yeah I get rattles in my ZR, gets a bit annoying sometimes, drivers side door trim seems to ever so slighty "tatter" when driving, and the odd tat and squeak here and there, I susspose its because its a stiff car. However my father has a 5 series BMW (Company car) and its a very very nice car, you cant knock that, but even that rattles and its a Beemer.

My Mother has a R-Reg Ford Mondeo V6 Auto and that rattles like mental, still a fine car though, fast as ****.

It aint just Rover at bloody all, Renault IMO are the worst built cars, I mean pulling a door shut on a Clio and the trim nearly pulling off aint exactley pleasing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
niggles......

these are mechanical machines, there are bound to be some minor things , out of many thousands ,that are not quite right, or that appear sooner rather than later.even in the quietest, smoothest vehicle im sure you could find something amiss if you wanted to ! ive recently had a slight vibration coming from the sun roof when closed ( 214 sli 60,000 miles) which is slightly annoying but does not compare to my current van, citroen (8500 miles), where the indicator/light switch came off in my hand at only 4 mnths old, the rear door lock either does not lock or decides to lock and jam completely after 6 months. give me a rover any day.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
rubicor said:
My 2004 75 Contempory SE is now a year old having covered 31,000 miles. I was very excited when picking up the new facelift model after 2 yrs with my 2001 75, but from day one it has been a let down!

The dealer accepts that this is unnacceptable but MGR do not seem to want to know about it. :mad:

That is really unlucky, I hope you get sorted out properly. Trust me though, you must be unlucky with this car. I've had two solid cars from MGR and one which was a bit problematic. My dad has had 6 new cars from MGR and they have all been fine.

It is bad though when things drag on like this. A chap at work has just had the AA out for the umpteenth time to recover his Mazda RX-8 as it is flooded and won't start. He's refused it back from the dealers too, as he (correctly) says they have not fixed it, as the car is prone to these problems.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think most 75's are good kit. I've had two magic ones. I've had a little clutch trouble but not much. Its sad because actually the list is long but its all similar stuff and rectifiable and you've obviously got a bit of a rogue.

I hope it doesn't put you off and perhaps with a well placed letter to MGR they might cut you a good deal. They're worth it I think. 75 equals awesome to me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
From my dad's P reg 414, I have noticed a gradual decline in the quality of MGR vehicles. I still believe that MG/Rover should be seen as a class above Ford, Vauxhall etc. A 20% cut in the cost of carpets is great if you get them 20% cheaper for the same quality, but if you get 20% less pile, what is the point?

My 25 is rife with rattles and squeaks, even though I love it. My dad's ZS180 has had a rattle under the dash from when he bought it (which I will make sure he sorts before I think about buying it.)

·
Registered
rover_75
940 Posts
My 75 was well built and I didn't have any rattles or mechanical problems but it certainly was a step down from the early built 75. The plastic dash was not a patch on the early wood dashboards and it scratches easily. The cheaper wing mirrors pick up wind noise and there is more road noise due to the liners missing. The horn sound would be embarassing on a City Rover and the ride isn't as good.

Seems the cost cutting and other problems at MGR have resulted in downgrading a step to far and in some cases the quality control has slipped.

If Skoda can build a £6000 Fabia that doesn't rattle and is solidly built then I'm sure MGR should be able to build a solid £20k 75.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
My '52 plate 75 has a lovely macho horn, dual tone. Also, the wood is very impressive, even if its not wood. And by all accounts, quality was put up when the 75 was moved from Cowley to Longbridge:)

G

·
logiclee said:
My 75 was well built and I didn't have any rattles or mechanical problems but it certainly was a step down from the early built 75. The plastic dash was not a patch on the early wood dashboards and it scratches easily. The cheaper wing mirrors pick up wind noise and there is more road noise due to the liners missing. The horn sound would be embarassing on a City Rover and the ride isn't as good.

Seems the cost cutting and other problems at MGR have resulted in downgrading a step to far and in some cases the quality control has slipped.

If Skoda can build a £6000 Fabia that doesn't rattle and is solidly built then I'm sure MGR should be able to build a solid £20k 75.

Cheers
Lee
I've been in a few recent Skoda's and they rattle much more that my 04 ZT

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
Rover have been looking at lots of ways to reduce costs, and bits of foam and padding here and there were probably the first to go. It is unacceptable on any new car, let alone a £20k one, but it's a long way off the £100k Bentley Continental GT that Clarkson drove on Top Gear last year, the centre arm rest creaked and groaned to distraction.
Kev.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MICHAELB said:
u should not have to fit foam yourself to cure rattles etc on a 20k car IMO. would u have to do this on a bmw or a jaguar????
Yes you would. A colleagues S-Type had a couple of bits of folded card wedged into a couple of places on the dash to keep it quiet. One of the places was the glovebox door, which meant he could never open it. That car cost £30K.

My BMW 3 (E46) cost my employer 21K way back in the 90s also had these kind of things going on. One was the door insert moulding was not trimmed properly and didn't fit into its place. Another was the side airbags going off for no reason one morning when I was driving along.

The 75 1.8T I had from a rental company had no such squeaks or rattles. It's luck and its not a specific 75 or MGR problem. Fact is that in the last JD Power satisfaction survey the 75 got number 31. Most cars are below including Mercedes and Audis.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
rw9zt said:
My 25 is rife with rattles and squeaks, even though I love it.
I have noticed that actually. I went to view a 1997 Rover 220SDi today and the difference between interior plastics and quality between that and the 25 sat next to it are numerous.

The 220's dash plastic was soft, yet firm, and didn't creak when you pressed hard on it unlike the 03' 25 sat next to it. Overall it doesn't paint a nice picture when you are paying more for more or less the same car, with less stuff put onto it. Not very nice, all this cost cutting in materials will do the Company name no good...

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Woah! Was giving serious thought to replacing my 2003 Conn SE with a new Contemp SE later in the year. This is making me think twice....

Not that I actually want anything other than a 75 right now TBH.

CAM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts