MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to take my car off the road due to "financial restrictions" (i.e being very skint).

Basically my tax, MOT ran out end of april/start of may, then my insurance ran out on the 13th May. So, cos I couldn't afford any of it, I took my car off the road and declared the SORN to the DVLA.

This is where my questions begin. I've been starting her up every weekend for 5-10 mins, and it sounds like a bag of spanners.

I leave it in gear with the handbrake off, and there is very little petrol in.

What sort of things should I do while its off the road, to make sure she's ok when I get her out (hopefully soon)?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
How low is the petrol? Nearly empty? If it is I would put a bit more in to ensure the fuel pump remains submerged in fuel and doesn't start to rot.
Running the car up to temp once a week should see it fine. Pump the brakes aswell so the calipers don't seize. Maybe give the steering a bit of a jiggle.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Yeah fill it up with fuel even if it is going to be sat there. You dont need to start it up every week but when you do start it up, then I would say leave it running more than 5 or 10 minutes. As ashy said pump the brakes and jiggle the steering. Also operate the handbrake a few times.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Rover_King said:
Yeah fill it up with fuel even if it is going to be sat there. You dont need to start it up every week but when you do I would say leave it running a bit more than 5 or 10 minutes. As ashy said pump the brakes and jiggle the steering. Also operate the handbrake a few times.
You need to bring the engine up to temp to open the thermostat so coolant can flow around the engine properly. Coolant contains corrosion inhibitors and will prevent the engine from rotting internally.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
ashy said:
You need to bring the engine up to temp to open the thermostat so coolant can flow around the engine properly. Coolant contains corrosion inhibitors and will prevent the engine from rotting internally.
Yup. Thats why I said he needs to run the engine for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts