MG-Rover.org Forums banner

My Car Does Not Like Hills Or Going Fast

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Broon 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a Rover 214i (P reg Bubble) I was driving on a country road yesterday and began to climbs this moderatly shallow hill doing 35mph in 3rd gear. As I accended the hill the car looses power and if i press down on the accelerator nofin happends. So i went down into 2nd gear the same happend so i ended up in 1st gear just about gettin up this shallow hill. if i were to stay in 3rd or 2nd gear with my foot to the floor i would of stoped. What really naffed me off is that a ford transit van with a full trailer took over me!!

I am wondering what could be the problem. mayby the fuel filter? Spark plugs, leads etc are fine,

Thanks

Jack

#11 ·
Does the car rev freely right up to the red line? Mine once started losing power and would not go above 4000 revs in any gear. So in my infinate wisdom, i dipped the clutch and floored it. There was a huge bang from the back end and when i brought the clutch up, the car shot off sounding like a tractor. The exhaust packing material had come lose and blocked the rear silencer. The bang was the silencer exploding!

#12 ·
I know naff all about ecu's and whatever.
if the car had a carb and had these same symptoms it would be the accelerator pump /fuel enrichment device.

or if it had a dizzy it would be something wrong with the vacuum advance/retard

now then ........going by that logic
it could be two things ..
your injectors are gummed up.
or your ecu map sensor is duff .
Ive also heard that the pipe on the map sensor can get full of oil .....and needs emptying and cleaning now and again ........or the oil will get into the ecu and bugger something up in there .

all the best...mark

#14 ·
I doubt its the injectors, so forget that until you've ruled out the simpler (and more likely stuff) first:

MAP sensor line - its the rubber pipe running from ECU (silver box) to the inlet manifold. As Paul says, DO NOT blow into this whilst one end its connected to the ECU or you will be sorry. Also careful when you detach make sure you don't snap the outlet.

HT side - little more difficult to diagnose.. when were the plugs changed last? Spark plug leads look ok? Does it have a dizzy cap and rotor? If so when last changed? etc..

Is it using any coolant? Excess smoke out of exhaust?

#15 ·
Erm am not sure when the plugs were changed last, they look fairly new. the leads look ok. it does have a dizzy cap n am not sure when that was changed because i recently bought the car with a HGF which was successfully fixed. no exxcess smoke is coming out of the exhaust

Thanks

Jack

#16 ·
Just to add my tuppence worth..

To quote what I read here somewhere, you can't tell the condition of HT leads just by looking at them.

I would suggest that you start cheap and work your way through replacing.. Spark plugs, rotor arm and distributor (dizzy) cap, then HT leads. All available from Halfords and relatively easy to fit. Unscrewing and unplugging is all that's required.

I had the same symptoms and it was the HT stuff that ws causing it. Not the ECU as Paramount Swansea tried to sell me (GRRR!).

--Alan

--Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.