MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been sat backstage for a while, ever since I got my Rover really, but I though't I'd sign up and fire away with a question or two...

I've got a 200. I'm looking to get some new speakers and crank the sound up a little.

I'm probably going to get the Pioneer DEH-P88RS headunit, http://pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/DEH-P88RS/index.html

If that's a bad choice let me know!

The front doors have small tweeter-like bubbles to the left of the handle, I'm pretty sure these are for tweeters, but I'm not sure what kind I need to be able to fit properly? The midrange/sub at the bottom of the door is 6" I think. Will I need to bodge the tweeters to the door?

The parcel shelf already has some Infinity Reference 6x9's, but I will probably be replacing them. I'm guessing components would be better but the 6x9 holes are already there. I do want some kind of midrange and treble at the back. I've heard alot of people on here saying to ditch speakers in the back and only have a sub, and speakers in the front. I want passengers in the back to hear some treble!!

So I'm guessing components in the front and 6x9's in the back, all with roughly the same power rating, will sound alright?

Now, I also want to get a sub for that extra bass, and I know that requires an amp, but I would like to amp my speakers too, so what should I do? I've heard of 5 channel amps, but from what I gather the power output for the sub is fairly low. I'm probably wrong.

Lastly what speakers/subs do you guys recommend?

Oh and also, I'm having a nightmare trying to remove the door panels!! There are screws behind the actualy inside door handle but I don't know how to get to them!

Wow there's a few more questions there than I intended!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Firstly, get some components in the front, and forget the 6x9's in the rear. You should find a cheap parcel shelf in the scrappy or on the net. You only really need some coaz's in the rear, 13cm ones fit perfectly into the factory holes on the sides of the parcel shelf. You also dont really need to amp these, simply running them off the headunit is fine.
As for a sub/amp, you could get a 4/3 channel amp, then use it to run both the front components and the sub.
With the tweeters in the front, I basically cut out the old tweeter grills and secured my tweeters on to the door handle surround, which luckily fit very well. Pic here: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/tomp216si/DSC00200.jpg
For mounting the amp, the boot is the usual option, though some people manage to fit theirs under the passenger seat. I did have my amp mounted to the back of the rear seats, but have now made a wall for my amps to be secured to, pic here: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/tomp216si/DSC00203.jpg

Finally, with removing the door panel, you have to prise away the door handle cover using a screwdriver/knife, but be very carefull as damaging the cover is very easy!! mine are now in a bit of a mess, as a result of removing them countless times!

Hope that helps a bit!
Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
door panels should just screw off also theres a little screw on the door handle surround. I cant understand people not liking 6X9s because i think they are good speakers but if they dont like them its up to them are the ones in anygood (working) as infinity speakers are one of the best around if so just keep them and see if they are to your liking first before you get rid of them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And if you are gonna get rid of 'em you could always send 'em my way;).
My missus has got a set of infinity 6x9s in hers and the sound quality is sweet as.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Tom, good work those speakers look great on the doors, I'd like to do something similar.

And i've got the door panels off at last!

Thanks for the advice, but I have one question regarding the 4/3 channel amp suggestion (using a 4/3 c. amp to run speakers and sub...
I thought you were supposed to use a mono amp for subs? What is the difference?

Cheers guys! :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The reason it says 4/3 channel is that means you can run 4 speakers or two speakers and 1 sub by bridging two of the channels together to provide the sub with enough power. I had a Maystar 4 channel amp (think they are now QX series amps) and i ran my alpine components in the front and one 12" Kenwood sub and that sounded really good for not a lot of cash!

I disagree with the infinity speakers...i had 6x9 ones in the back of my last car and although sound quality was excellent the cones cracked like the sun had affected them. Looked different to if they had been up too loud. They may have changed the designs now though.

I now think the best sound will come from very high quality components in the front and a sub in the boot and no 6x9s. When i took out my 6x9s and adjusted the amp settings, i found no real difference unless i sat in the back (it was a large mondeo though). Providing the components can handle a great deal of mid bass then you should be ok. Like whats already been said here, you could use some small speakers in the back just connected to the head unit just for a little bit extra.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts