MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a fledgling member to this forum I would like to thank and commend the knowledge provided on here, the information has gotten me through some rough months with my wee car.
In January of this year I bought a 2002 Rover 75 115 CDT, 55K on clock. It has been an interesting few months of the usual faults in very quick succession, ABS sensors, air flow meter, fuel tank pump, air bag light!!
Strangely enough this hasn't made me drive the car over a cliff, instead I feel that all that should go wrong has gone wrong and hope I am in for a hundred thousand miles of near care free driving.
However since I got all the above fixed and the car serviced I have noticed that the car is extremely jumpy and erratic as I play on and off the accelerator, this is noticed when driving behind another car or driving slowly in traffic. What happens is while in all gears from first to fourth if I am taking my foot of the accelerator and touching again I get a heavy lull and a kick of power. This leads to tortuous driving in traffic and slight frights when over taking as a little lull of power is experienced before the car picks up.
All this doesn't happen to any great effect in 5th gear and I can amble along the country roads at 50mph without any problems easing off and on the accelerator.
On my last visit to my local Rover dealer (to fix the other back ABS sensor!) I commented on the problem but was told "nothing appeared on the diagnostics", unless the machine detailed a fault they were unwilling to do anything, suggested it could be an intermittent fault and sent me off on my merry way with some injector and general engine cleaning fluid.
So here I am seeking knowledge and advice. I love my car but just feel that the performance is not what it should be.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
James.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club, unless I read your post wrong, it sounds like turbo lag, that is a momentary lack of power until the turbocharger gets up to speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response.
I don't think it is turbo lag, the turbo cuts in between 2200 and 2500rpm and is a nice clean boost.
The problem I have is most noticable when I am in traffic, when driving in first and switching from brake to accelerator I get a kick in the acceleration, no matter what rev I am at, is this caused by the heavy flywheel? Does this happen in all Rover 75's?
I just find it strange that acceleration is not smoother at the initial touch of the accelerator, I do not expect such a heavy kick at the first stage.
James.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The throttle is Fly by Wire I think.
It could just be a dirty pot.

The dealer Diagnostic are not all they are cracked up to be, normally they seem to be used as an excuse not to open the bonnet and get ones hands dirty

Does the car pickup and decellerate smoothly if you tread on and then gradually release the throttle throughout its full range? over a long stretch of road (the more gradual the better) i.e are there any permanent jerky points in any specific throttle position?

Or do you need quite extreme on off throttle movements to make it happen?

You said you have replaced the maf but have you tried driving the car with it unplugged?

Have you done Rons trick of cleaning the fuel rail sensor and its contacts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply keith, it will keep me busy over the weekend. The car does pickup and decellerate perfectly throughout its full range with no jerky points, she is sweet to drive on an open road and sails perfectly. Absolute nightmare through towns though, no matter how easy I touch the accelerator I still get a jerky responce, tis lucky I live in the middle of the country and seldom visit towns!!
On the other note I have only drove diesels! Numerous Renault 19's and Lagunas, it is all a county boy like me knows!!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Your symtoms sound exactly like a knackered Maf to me but just a thought, has it been re mapped or fitted with a tuning box? if it does have a tuning box remove it for now.

Rons boxes are fully adjustable one feature he offers at one setting is much improved throttle response (tr) possibly in town or to the unwise such a feature could be ott

If you can't pinpoint the problem and don't already have a tuning box fiited you could try one of his boxes which may then on a low tr setting solve your problem and make it go like stink as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought Rover Rons Tuning box and would have to agree with everyone in that it is some piece of wizardry, sends the car from under me, nice feeling!!
My wee kangaroo still haunts me though and I am now thinking that it may be knackered engine mountings.
The problem exists in a town, on and off the accelerator, or on the open road, in a low gear/high rev on and off the accelerator. I notice that when I release the accelator in a low gear/high rev there is a kick and the rev's handle increases slightly before going down again.
Is there anyway I could varify this, reving the car not in gear doesn't appear to cause any great kick in the engine, it is only when driving. Has anyone experience something similar. The car is due for a service soon and would like to get this problem sorted, what is the standard cost for replacing the two engine mountings?
Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
All the best
James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts