MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a trip!
Went to France over the long weekend and had a blast generally, appart from a few things...
Surprisingly, they just HAD to happend 1000 miles away from home...
Anyhow, here's a list:

1. Tyre exploded at 160KPH, fortunately, after 4 or 5 360s i managed to keep her on the road. Put on a spare and had to travelled further 100 miles at 80KPH....
2. Local tyre place didnt have wheels my size... frenchies...:daft: Had to travel to Paris to get a set of 4 Michelins for 260 GBP fitted and balanced.
3. Managed to lock my car keys in the boot... Spent 2 hours removing the roof/engine cover and still couldnt get access, so off goes the boot lock and some paint around it...
4. Rear windscreen cracked as the poor plastic couldnt handle the climate change.
5. French cheese... Bought a bucketload of French cheese and had no space left in the boot... So had to drive for 400 miles with a stench of one month old socks inside... smell is still there....
6. Caught a speed camera 200 meteres away from my house...:rocker:

Meh... Mad, mad holiday...

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
That's strange green, didn't you mention the tyre thingy before you went off ?
Gutted for you, bad one :(

Glad to read you're okay mate, that's most important :broon:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

what bait did you use?:dddc::run!:
A black MGF with a full TF coversion, worked like magic :D

Sounds like a good one! :)
Indeed :D

That's strange green, didn't you mention the tyre thingy before you went off ?
Gutted for you, bad one :(

Glad to read you're okay mate, that's most important :broon:
Cheers matey! Yeah i was fortunate enough to stay on the road (or super driving skills :dddc:)
But yeah this tyre had a patch in it, after a screw went in, so im not really that surprised. Just wasnt expecting it at 160 :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its 130kph but everyone seemed to be doing between 140 and 180 in the fast lane so i settled for a relatively sane speed :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
What a trip!
Went to France over the long weekend and had a blast generally, appart from a few things...
Anyhow, here's a list:

1. Tyre exploded at 160KPH, fortunately, after 4 or 5 360s i managed to keep her on the road. Put on a spare and had to travelled further 100 miles at 80KPH....
2. Local tyre place didnt have wheels my size... frenchies...:daft: Had to travel to Paris to get a set of 4 Michelins for 260 GBP fitted and balanced.
3. Managed to lock my car keys in the boot... Spent 2 hours removing the roof/engine cover and still couldnt get access, so off goes the boot lock and some paint around it...
4. Rear windscreen cracked as the poor plastic couldnt handle the climate change.
5. French cheese... Bought a bucketload of French cheese and had no space left in the boot... So had to drive for 400 miles with a stench of one month old socks inside... smell is still there....

Sounds like a proper adventure! :jealous: One to tell the grand kids!

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
What a trip!
Anyhow, here's a list:

it never rains but it pours.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The main thing is you enjoyed it!!!! Err I think you did anyway from your light tone lol.

I wonder, do you have a lot of speedbumps round your way? The small ish ones that everyone seems to go over the middle of can cause problems. I have a mate with a TT who had a tyre wall explode. The garage rekoned going over the edge of speed humps (all along his road) regularly had worn a thin patch in the tyre wall.

Time for a BAS glass screened hood!!:dddc:

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Sod's law for sure fella... you wouldn't get clocked speeding 1000 miles away and have the blow out 200 meters from home... oh no, that'd be too easy... :( ;)

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
ouch unlucky?

sounds terrible we should donate to the green 1997 charity or something

well i thought about it so i don't need to donate, pay up guys!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers guys!
I have to say, i did actually enjoy the trip. Nothing beats changing wheels in under 2 minutes as you are parked dead on the motorway exit... Adrenaline through the roof i tells ye.

Also taking your car appart in pitch black is fun too (keys in boot)

But yeah, what doesnt kill us makes us stronger :)
Went to DisneyLand, drove around Paris, had a nice meal at Johnny Depp's restaurant, met some old friends, nearly had a heart attack (beer>sauna>beer>sauna>beer>beer>sauna>freezing river>sauna)
heart was pumping at double rate and had chest pains! Dont try this at home kids...

Also showed Frenchies what a British sports car looks like. :)

All in all a fun weekend :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The main thing is you enjoyed it!!!! Err I think you did anyway from your light tone lol.

I wonder, do you have a lot of speedbumps round your way? The small ish ones that everyone seems to go over the middle of can cause problems. I have a mate with a TT who had a tyre wall explode. The garage rekoned going over the edge of speed humps (all along his road) regularly had worn a thin patch in the tyre wall.

Time for a BAS glass screened hood!!:dddc:
Dont know about the hood tbh, i was considering just getting a smoked plastic bit from Lucky and just refitting the window.
As for the speedbumps, Buck is sooo low i actually cant get the speedbump "between his legs", i have to crawl over them on the side :(

Ouch! I woul;d probably be on Prozac if that happened to me, glad you are an optimistic chap
I was high on life mate :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts