MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looked at Windows Update lately? The Windows Genuine Advantage Tool checks your copy of XP and notifies you if it is not genuine. From that point on, you are unable to update your windows anymore.

Mate of mine found out that hard way this morning... I'm glad i get my XP license through the Academic Alliance but just thought i'd pass on the information.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
ah give it a few more weeks and someone will of made an illegal version that skips that bit out on the updates part!

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deelunn said:
ah give it a few more weeks and someone will of made an illegal version that skips that bit out on the updates part!
word has it it's already been cracked anyway :)

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
seo9185 said:
:lol: i'm on a legal copy too, makes life a lot easier i find.
Also means we can discuss it on the forum if we want to - not allowed to discuss illegal software or ways to circumvent copyright law.:twak2:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
im on a legal copy too, only because im not smart enough to build a laptop! so instead i just bought one that came with xp - everyones a winner!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
im o na legal copy too, i have product key from a dell laptop that my last employer bought new then imaged straight over the top so the keys on laptops never got used

andy

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
People panic too much about MS. They really don't give a hoot about the average home user i'm almost sure.

I mean, nobody has given a suitable contender to swap over to.

However in a few years someone might...
Google are the biggest threat to MS - they could be the other option

(Infact MS even got their ass busted for having 2 of their employees working at Google for a bit on a spy mission! They are running very scared)

If google do that, then will MS try and tighten up their security more??
Or will they relax it further, to draw people to use MS??

You decide.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
AndBurG said:
im o na legal copy too, i have product key from a dell laptop that my last employer bought new then imaged straight over the top so the keys on laptops never got used
Which therefore makes the OEM licence agreement null and void, so you're actually using an illegal install of Windows. Sorry

LegitCheckControl.dll was cracked as soon as it was released, as was WPA and any other software based security checks MS are ever likely to bring out.

As Michael said, how many people/home users do you know of that have been prosecuted for illegal MS software use? We know of none...

All of which is beside the point of course. Bottom line, don't break the law people!

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
my copy of XP pro is well less legitimate than what you lot have. if you know what i mean, mainly cause i spent all my money on parts and didnt have enough left over for the OS.
anyway i used every update so far and its been fine, i guess its just certain product keys that theyre after.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Yeah, I think I must have installed an MSDN copy of XP on my PC, although I've got a legit XP license, its not letting me update.

The legit version of XP I've got is one of the first, so I used the MSDN version as it had SP2 included! Save downloading loads and loads of updates.

doh! Oh well, it'll get rebuilt soon anyway, I'll switch to the legit version then.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The silly thing is that our company have OEM licenses on the laptops for XP but for some reason they use a W2K image on them. It's a nuisance when you want to put XP on and it won't accept the key on the sticker.

One of our guys found out the hard way with this too. My laptop seems ok with no issues so far but the other guy got a rather large warning message then his laptop died on him. Must check and see what the outcome was on that and let you know.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
if you downloaded the notification tool by mistake and have a student copy *cough*

look for wgatray.exe and wgatray.dll just name it anything else and thats it.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Ice D said:
if you downloaded the notification tool by mistake and have a student copy *cough*

look for wgatray.exe and wgatray.dll just name it anything else and thats it.

there is no wgatray.dll file.
but removing a nd renaming a couple of files one .exe and the other a .dll file and also substituting the legitcheckcontrol.dll file for another legitcheckcontrol.dll file kindly given to me from a colleague, u can disable everything when using a 'test' machine.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 18 of 18 Posts