MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right i must be doing something wrong,i`ve just been reading different threads and in one of them Rover ron says on a trip he got nearly 48 to the gallon,i cant get near that,
i dont do much millage approx 160 miles per week and around 120 miles of that is motorway and thats only 30 mile per day to work and back.
the car is a 2.0 cdt, its just had full service including all filters,i`ve also got one one rons tu3 boxes at setting 2 and also a mafam set at around 11.00 o`clock,I dont drive like a madman, tend to stay around 80 ish on motorway,
and i`m getting around 37 to the gallon.
What am i doing wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
don't know what your doing wrong but once I had serviced mine top to bottom did a 500 mile trip at 80mph most of the way (motorway) which involved a 1 hr 2-3mph bit near an accident and plenty of 80mph-0mph-80mph stuff....and a little town work and it did 47.5mpg calculated brim to brim....and I was booting it to overtake (awaiting my TU4 to cure this issue)...

I know this doesn't help but shows 48mpg is about on the money...

Have you checked the airfilter???.....mine was the dirtiest I have ever seen in my whole motoring life!!

BR Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Well something is not right
I just did around 2,500 miles around Scotland 5 up and fully laden going there I was seeing 45MPG and it was back to my normal 47-49MPG during the outings

I suggest you do an experiment ,go back to basics take off tuning box and mafam and unplug the Maf

Then drive for a tankful or two to get a baseline
With my maf unplugged (whilst waiting for a replacement) I did a return trip to Farnborough (just over 400 miles) the trip computer showed 51.3MPG! for the entire journey.

If you find with the car in standard trim and maf unplugged it is still giving poor MPG then you need to start investigating further.
 

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
Joined
·
48 Posts
I've had my 2004 2.0 cdti for 2 months and the 3 tanks of diesel I've used in that time have all given me almost exactly the same i.e. 400 miles @ 37mpg. I travel 35 miles a day 95% of this is motorway @ 70mph ish the rest @ 30mph ish. I have to admit I thought I was going to get better mpg than that when I bought it. I wouldn't have thought there was anything wrong with the car as it has only done 9000 miles. But then again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I've done 65k miles in my ZT-t cdti the best drivin painfully slow i got 46 mpg my average has been 40.5 which is disapointing considering the mileage i've covered in 2 years mainly on the motorway but the car otherwise is fantastic mpg did improve after i had it chipped. I do drive faster than most but keep it to around 80 on motorway but drive rapidly on twisty roads. When i managed 46 i cruised at 65 on motorway and did not rev beyond 2600rpm. Around town i can easily only manage 33.5 mpg! I only calculate my mpg from brim to brim as don't trust computer but have found it to be quiet good as long as it is reset each time u fill up with fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
May sound a bit daft this but........

For the first couple of months of cdt ownership drove very sedately and the mpg wasn't wonderfull, Since then I have drove not aggressivley but to keep up with traffic shall we say and the mpg has shot up, I mainly do town miles and I am getting a good 40-50 miles more per quarter tank.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
4,589 Posts
P.Smith said:
Right i must be doing something wrong,i`ve just been reading different threads and in one of them Rover ron says on a trip he got nearly 48 to the gallon,i cant get near that,
i dont do much millage approx 160 miles per week and around 120 miles of that is motorway and thats only 30 mile per day to work and back.
the car is a 2.0 cdt, its just had full service including all filters,i`ve also got one one rons tu3 boxes at setting 2 and also a mafam set at around 11.00 o`clock,I dont drive like a madman, tend to stay around 80 ish on motorway,
and i`m getting around 37 to the gallon.
What am i doing wrong?

Is yours an auto?
Mine's a manual and these do give upto 20% better mpg.
The mafam setting can make a difference around town if its set too high.
Try it a bit lower - say 10 0clock for a week and see if this helps.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No ron its a manual,i tried the tu3 on setting 5 and got the same mpg,also tried turning the mafam down but it didnt feel right,i didnt get the same pulling power,like i said i dont hammer it only go to around 3000rpm in each gear and on the motorway i`m doing 80mph at 2400 rpm in 5th,i also dont have the climate control on.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
4,589 Posts
P.Smith said:
No ron its a manual,i tried the tu3 on setting 5 and got the same mpg,also tried turning the mafam down but it didnt feel right,i didnt get the same pulling power,like i said i dont hammer it only go to around 3000rpm in each gear and on the motorway i`m doing 80mph at 2400 rpm in 5th,i also dont have the climate control on.
I don't usually take it to 3000rpm myself, 2500 is high enough as the improved low down torque doesn't leave a torqueless hole when you change up. In fact my engine spends most of its time between 1400 and 2400rpm - this makes for brisk progress and without using much throttle.

Maybe my intake mod will help. See

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?p=1372424

I can't believe this is the answer, but you can only try it.
Otherwise its hard to see why you are getting worse consumption than many of us.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i`ve been looking into your intake mod and totally agree with you,i`m goin to get some tin plate,sealent,rivets etc and make new intake.
I dont think it will improve mpg but it wont make it any worse.
I will be going on a decent run at end of month so will see whats its like over couple hundred miles on motorway,(mind you i m going to have to put a clutch in it before then methinks).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
If you get anywhere I would be very intersested

75cdt tourer 29mpg urban, 40mpg constant 70

Tried Rover Rons MAFAM, and an ECU remap

No better with the MAFAM, hovers around 30/31 since remap

Very dissappointed tbh
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
261 Posts
P.Smith said:
Right i must be doing something wrong,i`ve just been reading different threads and in one of them Rover ron says on a trip he got nearly 48 to the gallon,i cant get near that,
i dont do much millage approx 160 miles per week and around 120 miles of that is motorway and thats only 30 mile per day to work and back.
the car is a 2.0 cdt, its just had full service including all filters,i`ve also got one one rons tu3 boxes at setting 2 and also a mafam set at around 11.00 o`clock,I dont drive like a madman, tend to stay around 80 ish on motorway,
and i`m getting around 37 to the gallon.
What am i doing wrong?
Hi,
I have just made a round trip to Liverpool via the Lake District both ways and returned a mpg figure of 37.2 over a distance of 653 miles. This includes some local running about Liverpool etc.. However this was achieved by my 1.8 petrol engined Club SE Tourer,with manual gearbox, which I think is a very creditable figure. Motorway cruising speed was an indicated 75/80. We turned off at Penrith and travelled down the A592 to Windermere and Ambleside. On Leaving Ambleside we travelled down the side of Lake Windermere and rejoined the M6 at Junction 36 and continued on to Liverpool. On the return journey we again left the M6 at Junction 36 and took the A591 to Ambleside. At Ambleside we purchased 5 tubs of daffodils which were at a special price which naturally appealled to the Scottish instinct and explains the yellow nodding heads at the tail gate window. From Ambleside back to Kendal and then took the A684 rejoining the M6 at Junction 37. Then we headed North to Scotland and home to Inverkip. The weather was quite warm and the A/c was in action a lot, so I think the Fuel consumption was very good for the 1.8 engine. Trust this is of interest and sorry for being a Petrol interloper into your Diesel world.
On this journey I was struck by the number of vans & cars travelling at speeds well into the 90s, with what appeared to be complete impunity to the speed limit.
Regards
Telfer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
telferstr said:
Hi,
I have just made a round trip to Liverpool via the Lake District both ways and returned a mpg figure of 37.2 over a distance of 653 miles. This includes some local running about Liverpool etc.. However this was achieved by my 1.8 petrol engined Club SE Tourer,with manual gearbox, which I think is a very creditable figure. Motorway cruising speed was an indicated 75/80. We turned off at Penrith and travelled down the A592 to Windermere and Ambleside. On Leaving Ambleside we travelled down the side of Lake Windermere and rejoined the M6 at Junction 36 and continued on to Liverpool. On the return journey we again left the M6 at Junction 36 and took the A591 to Ambleside. At Ambleside we purchased 5 tubs of daffodils which were at a special price which naturally appealled to the Scottish instinct and explains the yellow nodding heads at the tail gate window. From Ambleside back to Kendal and then took the A684 rejoining the M6 at Junction 37. Then we headed North to Scotland and home to Inverkip. The weather was quite warm and the A/c was in action a lot, so I think the Fuel consumption was very good for the 1.8 engine. Trust this is of interest and sorry for being a Petrol interloper into your Diesel world.
On this journey I was struck by the number of vans & cars travelling at speeds well into the 90s, with what appeared to be complete impunity to the speed limit.
Regards
Telfer.
I got just short of 35 MPG from my 1.8 turbo 75 out of a tank of fuel, thats a mix of town and country roads. I know the threads about a diesel but thought I'd add mine after the last post.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
4,589 Posts
REMF said:
If you get anywhere I would be very intersested

75cdt tourer 29mpg urban, 40mpg constant 70

Tried Rover Rons MAFAM, and an ECU remap

No better with the MAFAM, hovers around 30/31 since remap

Very dissappointed tbh
Those are typical tourer with auto 'box figures.
Is it an auto?

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
paranoid said:
May sound a bit daft this but........

For the first couple of months of cdt ownership drove very sedately and the mpg wasn't wonderfull, Since then I have drove not aggressivley but to keep up with traffic shall we say and the mpg has shot up, I mainly do town miles and I am getting a good 40-50 miles more per quarter tank.
This is exactly the same with me when I bought my 2002 CDT in April 2005.

It has done nearly 98k miles, I do about 20k miles a year, a mix of mostly motorway miles, but a fair amount of town driving and I usually average about 45mpg from a tank.

On a run to Wales recently, cruising at 70 to 80mph on the M4 with the cruise on I achieved 50.4mpg out of the tank. Fantastic I think and no worse than my previous car, a Citroen Picasso 2.0 HDi.

Rob
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
22 Posts
Sorry - Petrol interloper! - Was I being stupidly optimistic when I bought my 54 plate ZT 160+ (1.8T) to expect more than 30mpg?

My last car - a Calibra SE9 with 120k on the clock, 2.5 v6 auto achieved almost exactly the same figure for exactly the same use.

I don't know the drag factor for the ZT but I do know that the Calibra's is 0.29 which is probably the more slippery of the two.

I can't believe that an extra bit of drag would bring the consumption of a relatively modern turbocharged 4 pot manual down to the same as a fairly old, but very good, v6 with an automatic box.

Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Mickster said:
I can't believe that an extra bit of drag would bring the consumption of a relatively modern turbocharged 4 pot manual down to the same as a fairly old, but very good, v6 with an automatic box.

Any ideas?
Drag is no really relevent at normal traffic speeds, probably the weight of the car and maybe even its rolling resistance have a bigger impact
plus the ZT has lower gearing than the 75 so more rpm being used may = less MPG

The 75/ZT is also quite a heavy beast

The 4 pot K engine is not that new and they do seem to be a bit thirsty
:getcoat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
ROB75 said:
On a run to Wales recently, cruising at 70 to 80mph on the M4 with the cruise on I achieved 50.4mpg out of the tank. Fantastic I think and no worse than my previous car, a Citroen Picasso 2.0 HDi.

Rob
Yep exactly I have a Citroen Potato 2.0 Hdi SX as well ( a red one and yes there is a red Potato called "Picasso")

My Rover despite with a tuning box being a much quicker and heavier car still equals the much lighter 90 BHP Picasso re fuel consumption regularly and as said above it does not seem to drop significantly even when driven hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
There are plenty of threads covering this topic to which many have replied. So to add my experience once again my ZT-T 135 CDTi manual but chipped to aprox 160 gave 46mpg best, 39 worst and averaged 42/43 on mixed urban, m/way etc driven enthusiastically but not stupidly. My 75 Contemporary SE CDTi 135 Tourer automatic chipped to aprox 150 gave an average of 38/39 mpg driven with less verve than the ZT. Hammering it gave 35 mpg and the best was 41 mpg. They are big heavy cars on wide sticky tyres. My Astra Sporthatch CDTi chipped to 200 is so far giving 44/49 mpg mostly driven with 2 adults, 2 dogs and holiday luggage on board. ALL my figures are true brim to brim calculations and not dubious computer figures.

In over 18 years of driving/owning many types of diesel car old and new I have NEVER acheived manufacturers claimed mpg but generally VW/Audi have given best mpg.

Diesels require a different driving style to petrol to get the best out of them, fuel brand can also affect consumption, I try and stick to Shell/Esso/BP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Hi there....

Adrian raises an interesting point...on where fuel is sourced from

I once bought from my local hypermarket fuel station (AS*A) and it did nowhere near as many MPG.....I adjudged the couple of pennies saved per litre to be false economy and now also exclusively use Shell which gives me a consistently excellent (47+MPG)

Cheers guys

Jason
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top