MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my friend owns a Honda Integra Type R but doesn't use it to visit me (100 miles away) on the motorway. He has driven it once to mine, since then he uses his girlfriends 106? I asked him why he does this and he explained he finds the drive in his Honda doesn't suit motorway driving due to his high gears?? or something like that.

Anyway, to my point. I am becoming more and more interested in the MG range of cars, my impression is they are performance cars, so my natural thought is will I experience the same driving an MG on the motorway. I currently drive a 45 TD.

An example of the type of MG I am interested in would be the MG TF.

Thanks .

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Depends which one, the TF160, IIRC has the same gearbox as the ZR160 and that does tend to be a bit loud - 70-80 at around 4,000. The 135 has different gearing so its not too bad.

Best thing to do is grab a test drive from a dealer near a motorway and explain the problem and ask if you can go up a junction or two and back to see...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
motorway driving will be fine in the TF - However its going to be noisy i would imagine due to no tin top and engine right behind your head...

its never going to be a luxury cruiser - and it wont be a good as your 45

test drive be the best way to find out

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
marvli said:
Hi, my friend owns a Honda Integra Type R but doesn't use it to visit me (100 miles away) on the motorway. He has driven it once to mine, since then he uses his girlfriends 106? I asked him why he does this and he explained he finds the drive in his Honda doesn't suit motorway driving due to his high gears?? or something like that.
Yes you're right but it's the other way round, by the sounds of it the Honda is too LOW geared, meaning a low "MPH per 1000rpm" value. A good motoway cruiser would do something like 25mph per 1000rpm in top, so at say 3000rpm (still nice and quiet) you're doing 75mph. The ZR160 actually only does 19mph per 1000 rpm in 5th.

As Steve says the ZR160 is low geared in 5th and if the TF160 is the same gearbox then this will also have a low fifth gear and be noisy on the motorway.

But I'd expect most small convertibles to be noisy on the motorway past 80mph anyway due to wind noise.

If you're into comfort beware of the sports suspension option on the TF160.

The best MG cars for motorway cruising are the diesels (any), and of the petrols the ZS180 is best, with the ZR120 and ZT160 good too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks guys for the information, I'll archive this and more towards the time ask for assistance sway my choice if that's ok.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Well i find the ZS fantastic for motorway driving. It's not exactly the quickest (120, so only a 1.8) but will pull happily enough at motorway speeds. It's seems that 1-4 are quite short but 5th is just that bit longer making it ideal for cruising. The other good things i find with it is that it's fairly quite once on the motorway (which is odd cos its bloody noisey everywhere else lol), around 4000rpm sees me at 90mph (erm estimated cos i've never done that!!) and that's just about right, returns decent mpg, engine is nice and quiet and there's still plenty of grunt left to over take if ya needed to.
The other pluses are the suspension, what is a harsh ride on back roads and poor ride surfaces becomes a solid a reassuring feel to the road on the motorway. It does have it's drawbacks however, the ride is so solid that 70 and 110 feel exactly the same, and it's all too easy for the car to slowly greep upto that point without you ever realising.
I try to stick at 80mph myself buts thats cos i don't wanna get pulled.
Every other weekend I do a 480 mile round trip to the girlfriends and the ZS never feels hard work or un-relaxing so i give it thumbs up on the motorway.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This bloke might be using a 106 instead of an Integra Type R on a motorway because he'll lose his licence opening up the Honda on the motorway!!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
santa20 said:
Laws of friction, the faster you want to go the harder you have to do it because the force of friction is greater
yeah I didn't think you'ld every be able to do it, I meant in theory if had the power thats what you should achieve

150mph would be around 4.5k wouldn't it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts