MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZT CDTi is 3 years old on Saturday, and its first MOT is due.

I've got it booked in for an MOT today - wish me luck. This is the first MOT I've had to do on a car for about 7 years, so have forgotten the anxiety of the past.

Got everything crossed at the moment :D

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I insist on watching my MOT's, I wont let them test unless they will let me.

pop on my toetector boots so they cant complain about crushed tootses.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I insist on watching my MOT's, I wont let them test unless they will let me.

pop on my toetector boots so they cant complain about crushed tootses.
I normally do too, but sadly I'm housebound at the moment, so my Mum & Stepdad are taking it in for me. They are watching it being done.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has passed, but with 8 advisorys!

It passed the emissions ok, even with my tuning box connected.

Test 1 - Smoke 1.81
Test 2 - Smoke 0.93
Test 3 - Smoke 0.93

So average reading of 1.22.

The advisorys were:

1 - Nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil
2 - Offside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil
3 - Front brakes showing distortion
4 - Front brake discs worn and lipped
5 - Both front tyres feathering on outer edges
6 - Nail in offside front tyre
7 - Covers fitted above and below engine and transmission
8 - Near side rear tyre has cut in possibly down to cord construction of tyre

I queried number 7, and he said it is because there are covers fitted, he couldn't check anything in that area, as he can only judge what he sees - so not quite sure why they have put it as an advisory???

I'll get the two tyres sorted out, at a repair place, and it looks like I'll need the tracking done too. And seeing as I'm doing a tiny mileage now, I'll wait to get the brake discs done - they should have another 5,000 miles or so in them. (The car has only done 26,000 miles).

The only one I'm not sure about is the rear shocks - its strange that they have reported both for the same issue - is this normal?

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
The advisories were:

1 - Nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil - CRAP
2 - Offside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil - CRAP
3 - Front brakes showing distortion - Do you notice any judder when braking at speed?
4 - Front brake discs worn and lipped - SO WHAT? Aslong as the min thickness has not been exceeded....
5 - Both front tyres feathering on outer edges - Normal wear on a low profile tyre IMO.
6 - Nail in offside front tyre - Fair enough!
7 - Covers fitted above and below engine and transmission - What an odd remark!
8 - Near side rear tyre has cut in possibly down to cord construction of tyre - Then that should have failed!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Dave for that. You've put my mind at rest.

I have no juddering at all on braking.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
111 Posts
The advisories were:

1 - Nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil - CRAP
2 - Offside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil - CRAP
3 - Front brakes showing distortion - Do you notice any judder when braking at speed?
4 - Front brake discs worn and lipped - SO WHAT? Aslong as the min thickness has not been exceeded....
5 - Both front tyres feathering on outer edges - Normal wear on a low profile tyre IMO.
6 - Nail in offside front tyre - Fair enough!
7 - Covers fitted above and below engine and transmission - What an odd remark!
8 - Near side rear tyre has cut in possibly down to cord construction of tyre - Then that should have failed!
I'd have pretty much said the same for these points! So very very peculiar. If you guys think these things are strange, I invite you up to try an MOT in Perth!! wooooohohohohohohoooo these things are comical!!!

e.g. last year, brakes vibrating slightly, barely "feelable", but was failed as "badly vibrating"

This year at a different place - brakes vibrating like mad due to residue (off the road for a while so it built up on the discs) - was passed and advisory of "22% of permissable vibration level"

And other very comical remarks

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
This year at a different place - brakes vibrating like mad due to residue (off the road for a while so it built up on the discs) - was passed and advisory of "22% of permissable vibration level"
As an ex-tester - I've never heard of that!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
nice one, well done

cars over in NI go for their first MOT @ 4 years old, it is a very strict trsting system as well and there is about an 8 week waiting list!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
MOT- Brake Discs

I'd have pretty much said the same for these points! So very very peculiar. If you guys think these things are strange, I invite you up to try an MOT in Perth!! wooooohohohohohohoooo these things are comical!!!

e.g. last year, brakes vibrating slightly, barely "feelable", but was failed as "badly vibrating"

And other very comical remarks
Spent 2 1/2 months tidying up my daughters Renault 5 as it is in amazing condition for it's 20 yrs.
Front discs& pads, ball joints, rear shocks, wheel bearings, new back brake drums, undersealed and waxoyled etc.
Car stood for 6 months then went 4 miles for MOT.
First failure : badly rusted and pitted discs ! !
They were brand new BREMBO discs with the usual rust, if not used. The pitting : 2 centre pop like/countersunk dimples that on Brembo discs are the wear indicators.
Can only assume, as it was my daughter, they thought .......'we'll ave this one for some work'.

I also will only have MOT's done where I can watch and I also ask (nicely !) "can you show me"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts