MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MOT runs out next month. It's gonna be my first time i take a car to have it tested. Thing is i want to have it serviced at the same time. I have no idea what is a good price for servicing a car? I've heard you can get it done for around £60 but im guessing thats not a thorough job.

Basicaly, i have a 97 214 Si 16V, spark plugs, HT leads and oil has been changed in the last 2 months. Head gasket was skimmed about 9 months and a new radiator fitted about 6 months ago. I would not no even where to begin to check the brakes, exhaust, suspension, wheels etc etc. So considering those, what price range im i looking at to have it serviced? What is exactly involved in a service? Do they just check the car and let you know what needs replacing? Does anybody reccomend a aprticular garage... like Kwik-Fit..? Or something else?

Just that i really don't mind spending a few hundred now as i intend to keep it for a while. But i wanna be sure i'm getting my moneys worth!

Thanx in advance, as usual! :)

G

·
Ask around amongst your mates and their dads - someone will know a GOOD independent chap who can do it all at a decent price.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
doesnt sound like it needs a service....only other things i can think of are brake pads, air filter and cam belt (which im assuming will have been changed when u had your head skimmed) so its down to ur brake pads and air filter, which can be done yourself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yep,sounds like most of your service items have been done recently.your other stuff brakes exhaust etc will be checked at the mot.even if it passes you could ask the mot guy if there in good nick or will they need sorting soon.

ian

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gueesed as much that a service would involve much of what i have done myself already. Seems like a sensible idea, have it Mot'd then ask what may need changing.

It's just that i'm convinced there's some other things that can be done to make the drive abit well better. Changing the spark plugs got rid of the idle speed problem and it i have more "bite" at lower speed and the ride is smoother. In the mornings, the idle speed seems to float above the 1000rpm mark, but after a 5 min drive its down to 700-900 revs which is reccomended but it feels like the cars gonna stall at the traffic lights. I wonder if changing the Distributor cap will help? How can you tell if it needs changing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.