MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my successful MOT. However, as a cautionary note, he spotted a water leak that he suspects to be from the radiator. If this a common problem that can be solved by simply replacing with a new one? If so, how long (in garage labour hours) should it take to swap over? I recently swapped the radiator cap over after noticing a slight drop in levels.

Also, on advice (I think!), I left it in the lower gears on the way to the test, but he said the emissions were really high and they had to used a second test(?) to pass it. Was I right to give it a good blast on the way to the test or should I have driven much more conservatively?

Thanks.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
Very common on the F, have it replaced with a TF radiator.

Yes you were right to give the car a good blast but it may not have been long enough.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Could just be a case of the radiator.

I would also get the under car pipes checked and replaced if looking like they could do with replacing.

Could result in a sudden coolant lek that can then lead to HG failure.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Make sure it is filled and bled properly otherwise a simple changing of the radiator could cost you a lot of money after HGF.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
Just got back from my successful MOT. However, as a cautionary note, he spotted a water leak that he suspects to be from the radiator. If this a common problem that can be solved by simply replacing with a new one? If so, how long (in garage labour hours) should it take to swap over? I recently swapped the radiator cap over after noticing a slight drop in levels.

Also, on advice (I think!), I left it in the lower gears on the way to the test, but he said the emissions were really high and they had to used a second test(?) to pass it. Was I right to give it a good blast on the way to the test or should I have driven much more conservatively?

Thanks.
I had to replace my radiator when the casing around the bleed screw cracked, glad it happened though as it was only then I discovered how bad the old radiator was. I changed it myself and did it in about 1½ hours including refilling and bleeding the system.

As said above, check the underfloor pipes, mine were shot, now replaced in stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Getting my Rad changed this month. It's rusted through. The car is 50K Yr 2000 W-plate. How can I preserve the life of the new radiator.

Also while we were underneath, we - the guy at the garage and myself - noticed the underfloor pipes were in a bit of a state. He's proposing replacing them with copper. A good choice? I've got next to no mechanical epertese in these matters.

He's reccomending the temp sensor from a Landrover (Freelander?) be fitted in a new location to give a better indication of what's warming up.

I've got a feeling this guy is OK. His garage - though back street - is reccomended by the MGOC.

Time will tell after the work - which will also include full service, belt water pump etc.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Getting my Rad changed this month. It's rusted through. The car is 50K Yr 2000 W-plate. How can I preserve the life of the new radiator.

Also while we were underneath, we - the guy at the garage and myself - noticed the underfloor pipes were in a bit of a state. He's proposing replacing them with copper. A good choice? I've got next to no mechanical epertese in these matters.

He's reccomending the temp sensor from a Landrover (Freelander?) be fitted in a new location to give a better indication of what's warming up.

I've got a feeling this guy is OK. His garage - though back street - is reccomended by the MGOC.

Time will tell after the work - which will also include full service, belt water pump etc.

Cheers

Dan

Mike Satur does stainless steel pipes. http://www.mikesatur.com/mgf/mgf-tuning.php

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Its likely that your new radiator is aluminium and won't suffer anywhere near as much as the old one.

With respect to the temp sensor, he might be talking about the LR PRT (pressure relief thermostat) If so he knows his stuff on MGs.
It involves a relocation of the thermostat from its original position on the block to give a larger closed stat water circulation and less thermal shock. It also has a pressure relief to bleed more water at higher revs when cold. Many think this is a very worthwhile mod and effective in reducing the likelyhood of Head Gasket Failure.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
Just make sure it's a alloy rad from a TF that is fitted.

Don't know anything about that, I personally wouldn't bother and put your money towards a coolant level alarm. Although if it is PRT as Balrog suggests then that would be worth thinking about.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Think you'll find the Mike Satur ones are aluminium - but still a very worthwhile thing .... As is a low coolant alarm. :)

I think you'll find that it pays to click the link and read the advertisement.

"........made from thin wall stainless tubing........."

·
Registered
253 Posts

Thanks.
Good to give the car an Italian style tune up ............... but perhaps you should give it the odd 'thrashing' more often to clear out 'the tubes'. What brand of fuel are you using? - may be as well to use main stream brands (if you are not already) with better detergents etc to keep the fuel system, injectors and valves cleaner. Otherwise use a good proprietary fuel system cleaner every 3k miles or so (I use STP product).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I'm looking at replacing the underfloor coolant pipes (stainless steel) and replacing with a TF radiator. Its a 9 year old F so the originals have lasted well enough I suppose.
Can someone please help out with the part numbers/ cheapest locations and finally an approxiamte time to do both jobs so I know what to expect from the garage.
Big thanks once again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts