MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys :)

Right, as the title says really I've got my lovely rover booked in for her yearly checkup next monday, and just want to know if there's any common things I should check in the mean time. Can't afford for it to be off the road so anything I can check would help

Here's what I've gone through so far:
- Tyres are fine, replaced two in the last week, two still vgood tread
- Brakes bled all round yesterday following rave manual, discs replaced recently and all pads fine
- Handbrake adjusted following rave manual
- All loose wiring cable tied safely in the engine bay
- Exhaust midsection and backbox replaced this year
- All bulbs tested and working
- All washer jets clear and working
- Seatbelts work
- Hardly any play in steering

Only thing I'm worried about at the moment is headlight alignment... as it seems they nearly always fail on this but my angel eyes aren't ideal as whilst they do have screw adjustments you can knock the bulbs about by hand from the back by mistake...

Air filter + Oil seem fine, not sure about the fuel filter as it hasn't been replaced by me. Are there any real causes for a car to fail emissions tests if all filters are clean, exhaust is good and engine runs sweet?

And does anybody know how to remove the washer bottle for cleaning? As it makes a foul smell when sprayed so I reckon somethings gone bad in there.

Cheers guys, any help you can give is much appreciated!

·
Registered
cityrover
7,559 Posts
Put the car facing a wall on flat ground and roughly check the lights that way, make any adjustments, I did this and my headlights were spot on. Take the car for a good drive beforehand to make sure it is nice and warm for emissions, it should sail though the test then.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the car facing a wall on flat ground and roughly check the lights that way, make any adjustments, I did this and my headlights were spot on. Take the car for a good drive beforehand to make sure it is nice and warm for emissions, it should sail though the test then.

I was going to have a go at doing them the way I found on the internet to align them perfectly but bugger me it sounds like a chore.

Tape a cross over the dead centre of the headlight in front of the bulb, and on a flat surface exactly 25 feet from a wall then the most intense part of the beam should be below and to the right of the projected cross.

Supposedly that way you get it the right height for any car... in theory.

·
Registered
mg_zr
671 Posts
another thing that I have noticed mot stations cracking down on for some reason is reg plates, make sure they are in good condition no cracks etc or major blemishes, I also heard something about a reg plate makers mark but not sure on that one tbh, if its true the plates should have the name and at least a postcode of the company that made the plates presumably so that they can be checked up on if any discrepancy came up on the car.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another thing that I have noticed mot stations cracking down on for some reason is reg plates, make sure they are in good condition no cracks etc or major blemishes, I also heard something about a reg plate makers mark but not sure on that one tbh, if its true the plates should have the name and at least a postcode of the company that made the plates presumably so that they can be checked up on if any discrepancy came up on the car.
The plates are the same as were on the car when I bought it, and had only just gone through its MOT then :). Never bothered with any custom designs or borders etc.

I'll give it a check anyway though, thanks for that one ;) never thought of that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My wife's car 200 just flew through it's MOT today. I was worried as it's the first time we've put this car through an MOT. I checked all the items you've mentioned and in addition the following;

The brake hoses both rubber and metal parts. The metal sections near the calipers seem most prone to corrosion.
Also I checked the driveshaft rubber boots and trackrod ends.
Don't forget the number plate bulbs.
The wipers should also wipe without smearing.

I've been caught out on insecure battery in the past too. That was because the previous owner had cross thread the bolt on the clamp.

Are the dampers all fine, not weeping etc?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife's car 200 just flew through it's MOT today. I was worried as it's the first time we've put this car through an MOT. I checked all the items you've mentioned and in addition the following;

The brake hoses both rubber and metal parts. The metal sections near the calipers seem most prone to corrosion.
Also I checked the driveshaft rubber boots and trackrod ends.
Don't forget the number plate bulbs.
The wipers should also wipe without smearing.

I've been caught out on insecure battery in the past too. That was because the previous owner had cross thread the bolt on the clamp.

Are the dampers all fine, not weeping etc?

As far as I know the dampers are ok, never really checked but havent noticed anything while ive been sat in the wheel arch doing the brakes :L, the wipers are ok... number plate bulbs good.

Not sure what to look for on the driveshaft boots and trackrod ends, the boots didnt look split or leaking when I had a peak though. Tracking was done a few months ago by the same garage thats doing the MOT, so if nothing has happened since then the track rods should be ok as surely they would have noticed.

Also have labelled the car so the examiner knows what engine I have :err:

·
Registered
379 Posts
For the driveshafts boots I was just checked for splits etc.

The trackrod ends have a little rubber boot over the joint too. Also I just checked play in them by jacking up the front wheel and giving it a bit of a tug.

Your car is obviously well cared for and looks great so I'll cross my fingers for you :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the driveshafts boots I was just checked for splits etc.

The trackrod ends have a little rubber boot over the joint too. Also I just checked play in them by jacking up the front wheel and giving it a bit of a tug.

Your car is obviously well cared for and looks great so I'll cross my fingers for you :)
Thx very much mate :) still got the odd patch to clean up but I'm very happy with her.

Thanks Roverman that's what I wanted to know. Guess I'll just leave her in the hands of the MOT tester on monday then. I wonder if they'd let me sit to one side out the way and watch... :p.

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Obviously the main thing that's out of your hands is the emissions.

Is your car battery properly clamped down?

Are all the indicator bulbs properly orange?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Obviously the main thing that's out of your hands is the emissions.

Is your car battery properly clamped down?
It seems secure but if I give it a good tug the battery will come out. I'll pop a ratchet on there and tighten it up a bit in a minute when I go to find a wall to adjust my headlights on :L

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,828 Posts
You could just ignore getting the headlights done and swap them with me for a standard (maybe a de-oranged set) with some cash finding it's way into your pocket ;)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You could just ignore getting the headlights done and swap them with me for a standard (maybe a de-oranged set) with some cash finding it's way into your pocket ;)
haha nice try, I've got 1 pair of standard and 1 pair of deoranged ones sat in my garage as backup ;)

was thinking of putting the standard ones in to pass the MOT but tbh i'd rather know the ones i drive with are safe and aligned.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aww man, was worth a try I suppose.

Headlights can wait then. Other things need sorting first.
:L im sure you'll find some mate.

I was waiting long enough to get these ones :p not about to sell them until I sell the car more than likely, or when/if I convert it to a MK2.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,828 Posts
Will definitely have to let us know about the MOT, good luck btw, but by the sounds of things I doubt you will need any luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts