MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cars has been in for it's MOT today (glad to say it passed:bgrin:).

I just looked at the emission test result, and wondered if the numbers are typical. I was quite surprised how low they are. Here they are:

Fast Idle Test
Limit Actual
CO 0.2 %vol 0.00 %vol
HC 200 ppm 1 ppm
Lambda 0.97 1.03 1.01

Natural Idle Test
CO 0.3 %vol 0.02 %vol

Then I dug out the last result for my other car:
Fast Idle Test
Limit Actual
CO 0.2 %vol 0.00 %vol
HC 200 ppm 2 ppm
Lambda 0.97 1.03 1.00

Natural Idle Test
CO 0.3 %vol 0.00 %vol

Also very low, and some are even zero (obviously not actually zero, but below the resolution of the equipment).

So here's a question - can anyone tell which one is my 2003 ZR105 (1.4L), and which one is my 1994 XJ12 (6.0L)?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Impressive, must admit I've always been impressed with how far in the limits my Rovers are when tested. Especially the 200 which is 11 years old and used for general running around.
Whichever the XJ is, it's excellent and shows that a well maintained bigger engine need not be as environmentally damaging as some would have you think. HE engine?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I'll have a go and say the second result is from the XJ.....

I think.......

Both results excellent though, hope you are proud :D

Rik

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have a go and say the second result is from the XJ.....

I think.......

Both results excellent though, hope you are proud :D

Rik
Nope. The first one is the XJ.

I can't take any credit really. They just get the normal service once a year.

And the results are all % or ppm, so although the XJ looks about the same as the ZR, the fact that it gets through 2 or 3 times as much fuel must mean it emits 2 or 3 times as much exhaust gas and therefore 2 or 3 times as much CO and HC. Still not bad though for a 1994 car, and it does have more than FOUR times the capacity of the ZR. It is one of the last incarnations of that engine (the X300 had a slightly different version with Denso ignition) and it is derived from the HE version, but enlarged from 5.3 to 6.0. Still only 2 valves/cy.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
What I was meaning is one of the environmental claims against older vehicles is that they are not as clean as a new one. Seems like it's not always the case, is it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts