MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MOT is due in a couple of weeks, and whilst washing the car last night I found a small rip in the side wall if one of my tyres, where the alloy had been curbed !!!. Anyway, as I understand it, this becomes a failure if you can see the canvass through the rip. So, is it possible to repair this damage, by 'sticking' down the rip with some sort of silicon adhesive??, or will I have to fork out for 2 new tyres on the back ?? The local garage is offering some Maxis (225x40x18 ZR) @ £75 each, whilst his best price for a 225x45x18 is about £150. I've got 4x40 profile at the mo, and with that sort of price difference I can see why !!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Craig.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

The reason damage like that is an MOT fail is because it massively increases the probability of a blow-out at speed. You're not going to be able to put back in sufficient strength with any sort of adhesive to prevent this happening. Your life is worth more than the cost of a couple of new tyres.

Having now got the sanctimonious public service announcement out of the way, you might want to go to www.justtyres.com and see if they have a branch near you. They are currently doing an offer on the Conti's our cars originally came with for £92 something a tyre if you order online. If you haven't used them before, you can also print off an additional £5 discount voucher :bgrin2: Given the rrp, getting them at that price (I'm having 2 fitted on Monday) almost makes it a pleasure to wear the old ones out!

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
craigdm said:
My MOT is due in a couple of weeks, and whilst washing the car last night I found a small rip in the side wall if one of my tyres, where the alloy had been curbed !!!. Anyway, as I understand it, this becomes a failure if you can see the canvass through the rip. So, is it possible to repair this damage, by 'sticking' down the rip with some sort of silicon adhesive??, or will I have to fork out for 2 new tyres on the back ?? The local garage is offering some Maxis (225x40x18 ZR) @ £75 each, whilst his best price for a 225x45x18 is about £150. I've got 4x40 profile at the mo, and with that sort of price difference I can see why !!
If its a small rip most tyre places should be able to fix it for a few quid, but generally if its on the side wall then it won't be safely fixable. Best bet is to swing by one and ask though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts