MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
rover_800
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Morse Code) S.O.S. Calling Richard Branson... Come in Richard we need you!

Dear Mr. Branson as a successful Businessman who embodies everything that is right about "That innovative British entrepreneurial spirit", How would you feel about investing 50 million pounds or so in MG-Rover?

Your involvement in MG-Rover would serve as a sign that you believe it is still a viable business proposition. It is also possible that with the gravitas that you would bring to the proceedings, that PVH/MG-R could then attract additional investment or loans from the Financial institutions. I'm sure a preview of future MG-R products can be arranged for you, and my hope is that what you see will excite you. Hopefully your excitement after seeing these fantastic future developments, will manifest itself in the form of your desire to invest in the last (not counting Morgan, Bristol, Noble etc.) truly 'British owned' car manufacturer.

For your 50 million investment, you will of course be placed on the Board of Directors, and will be afforded a share in what promises (With your help) to be a very profitable enterprise. We would hope that you will also serve as MG-R's de facto Spokesperson/Pitchman, (a la Lee Iacocca) in much the same way that you represent the other business ventures your are involved with.

Time is running out to find a solution that will secure as many jobs as possible. Please don't let 100 years of Motor Manufacturing at Longbridge, and the noble Viking Longship sink ignominiously beneath the waves. MG-Rover and the hard working Men and Women of Longbridge need your support. Please do anything you can to help. Rule Britannia!


Signed MG-Rover fans the World over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
I feel really bad for saying this, but I don't think Mr. Branson would be interested in the slightest. He seems to go for new markets or markets where the level of competition is low, which is not the market MGR is operating in.

Although saying that, new is good Mr Branson.
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
5,867 Posts
airlines are neither new markets nor low competition. The airlines on the whole are in far worse shape than car manufacturers. Rising oil prices will probably see half a dozen airline collapses worldwide in the next 6 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Patrick, don't be ridiculous.

Branson has already caused the loss of thousands of UK manufacturing jobs by choosing cheap, off-the-peg foreign made trains, the Pendolino (FiatFerrovia/Alsthom, Italy) and the Voyager (Bombardier, Brugge, Belgium.) over British equivalents.

No they were NOT made at Washwood Heath, Brum - they were painted and fitted with seats there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,157 Posts
If you remember, Richard B did have a large order in for cars which went toes up. I don't think he'd be interested, but who knows. On thing's for sure, he's an amazingly astute businessman and MGR would go from strength to strength (sorry, Pug - don't sue me;) ) with him behind them. I think he would be a great figurehead for the brands personally, but he may just think they're not viable any more... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
What about Alan Sugar?? Can anyone think of any other top UK businessmen, who could be brought in to join PVH??

If a credible team of wealthy UK business men such as Branson & Sugar could be brought in as a consortium, put up some money, perhaps this would give a boost the MGRs ability to get finance from the banks etc.

It's got to be worth a go, hasn't it?
 

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
Joined
·
4,589 Posts
I think RB would see investing in MGR like buying steam trains for Virgin.

If they'd had innovative world beating designs ready to roll, he may have been interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
Steve McF said:
What about Alan Sugar?? Can anyone think of any other top UK businessmen, who could be brought in to join PVH??

If a credible team of wealthy UK business men such as Branson & Sugar could be brought in as a consortium, put up some money, perhaps this would give a boost the MGRs ability to get finance from the banks etc.

It's got to be worth a go, hasn't it?
You are ticking the mick.

An Amstrad rover managed by one of the 'apprentices', only £99 at your nearest pound shop.

Have you ever owned any of the electrical crap he makes?
 

·
Registered
other_rover
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Greg said:
If you remember, Richard B did have a large order in for cars which went toes up. I don't think he'd be interested, but who knows. On thing's for sure, he's an amazingly astute businessman and MGR would go from strength to strength (sorry, Pug - don't sue me;) ) with him behind them. I think he would be a great figurehead for the brands personally, but he may just think they're not viable any more... :(

Do you mean Virgin cars. If so RB does not own Virgin Cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I’m sorry to say … I highly doubt that Richard would be interested. It’d be great if he was, and I’m sure MG-Rover Group could become a very profitable company under him … though what’s in it for him?
 

·
Registered
rover_800
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
¼Pint said:
I’m sorry to say … I highly doubt that Richard would be interested. It’d be great if he was, and I’m sure MG-Rover Group could become a very profitable company under him … though what’s in it for him?


Errr? You just said....PROFIT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,679 Posts
Steve McF said:
What about Alan Sugar?? Can anyone think of any other top UK businessmen, who could be brought in to join PVH??
John Bloor, the founder of Bloor Homes, who used his £millions to buy the rights to Triumph bikes and build it up into what it is now. But I think to rebuild MG Rover would be too much even for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Errr? You just said....PROFIT!
I also said could. I’m not sure whether Richard would feel the risk is worth it … just because I and others here believe Richard could turn MG-Rover Group into a profitable business doesn’t mean he will 100% for certain be able to, since none of us know all the details about MG-Rover’s finances and so on.
 

·
Registered
rover_800
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
¼Pint said:
And on top of that, maybe he just doesn’t want the hassle?


You call it hassle but perhaps he would call it excitement. Guys like RB like a challenge. If they are told it can't be done etc. It's like a challenge to them. If after looking at all the details he thought there was even a glimmer of hope, (and was told "Even you can't do it Richard") I think he'd consider it.
 

·
Registered
rover_800
Joined
·
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
¼Pint said:
I also said could. I’m not sure whether Richard would feel the risk is worth it … just because I and others here believe Richard could turn MG-Rover Group into a profitable business doesn’t mean he will 100% for certain be able to, since none of us know all the details about MG-Rover’s finances and so on.


Well let's face it doesn't he risk losing his ass on pretty much any Venture he engages in? After all that is the nature of business and the Stock Market. You Prosper because someone else has failed or lost their shirt. You can calculate all the angles and have a contingency plan for problems, but it generally comes down to a crap shoot imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
Anyone know any ridiculously wealthy people?

Duke of Westminster?

Bill Gates?

Chelsea Fella (forget his name)?

Do they like MGs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Richard Branson isnt all that rich- most of his investments were complete flops like the cola and trains. He's a celebrity because of his round the world balloon races etc thats why he's mentioned so often. No way he could afford to buy MGR even if he is interested
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top