MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted on the Autocar web site:

When MG Rover collapsed in 2005, the government provided a £6.5m emergency 'loan' to keep the factory open for another week. But that's nothing next to the £8.5m that's already been spent on the as-yet-unfinished official inquiry into MG Rover's collapse.
The inquiry is being paid for by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) – aka the UK taxpayer – and so far it appears to have established exactly nothing in the two years it has been running.
In July 2006, a report from the Public Accounts Committee said that the collapse of MG Rover cost the UK tax payer around £270million.
There is no news yet on when the DTI report will be finished. Meanwhile, MG buyer Nanjing Automotive looks likely to restart limited production of the TF roadster at Longbridge later in May

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Just another example of this Governments waste of our cash.

No money to keep 6,500 folk in a job ,but loads of money for endless inquests ,millenium dome ,illegal wars etc....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
They were saying in my local rag,there is a call for an enquiry as to why the enquiry has taken so long!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
wouldn't it have been better to put the money into the company and joint venture and getting money back from sales and stuff in the future rarther than paying out for something which is pointless as we know the cause of the collapse bad-ish management and a serious of unfortunate events.

This goverment is so short-term minded.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
They were saying in my local rag,there is a call for an enquiry as to why the enquiry has taken so long!!!
I too think there should be several enquiries into the previous enquiries ... with no expense spared.

It's what us Brits really excel at ... getting it wrong.

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
I think there should be an enquiry into why the Government allowed MG Rover to fold, as the costs of doing so have apparently far outweighed the amount of taxpayers money that would have been needed to assure MG Rover's solvency long enough to allow the SAIC joint venture to go ahead.

It appears that almost £300 million of public money has been swallowed up by the collapse of the company while a loan of £100 million was all that was required to make sure the deal went through. Talk about short sighted, ham fisted incompetence. . . :shake:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe MG-Rover should have declared an illegal war on a country somewhere. They'd have got Government backing then.

Anyone want to nominate a country?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
going off topic, but wow, that is seriously wierd. Sealand, it doesnt look like a very nice place to live. Soon that will be more difficult to keep afloat than MGR!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The government would have been better to have given MG Rover that £300m, which would have easilly seen RDX60 into production.

But then again, that would be against European law, and as Longbridge is not in France or Germany, it probably would have been vetoed by Strasbourg.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
This heading is total tosh. How would £8.4m have kept MGR running?
Would have paid one year's pension contributions for the p45.

Why didn't they put their pension pot into keeping it running? Why did they even need such a large pension pot?

That's what the enquiry will resolve...

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
Funny how the UK always abides by the rules when it has something to do with manufacturing or business (i.e. not giving MG Rover any aid because it would contravene EU regulations), but seems to have no trouble disregarding international law when it feels like engaging in a little war.....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Funny how the UK always abides by the rules when it has something to do with manufacturing or business (i.e. not giving MG Rover any aid because it would contravene EU regulations), but seems to have no trouble disregarding international law when it feels like engaging in a little war.....
Incredible really ,it's wrong to try to save peoples jobs and 100 years of car making heritage with it ,but perfecly o.k. to blow things up (and get our own people blown up) for the sake of the PM's vanity.

I must be missing the point somewhere.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
well that's the funny thing, at least in a non-democratic country, when people get really mad they just go out in the street and start a riot to get some change while in democratic countries, the "elected" people just do what they want. hey they were elected by you so there's nothing you can say.

tony blair's government is the best example, he was pretending to be such a nice guy before being elected and then all of the sudden he's a blood thursty dictator sending people to their deaths and not caring for people losing their jobs, all he cares about is that those same people can at least find a small paying job to shut up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts