MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a Rover 400/600 TDi as a cheap runabout and also to tow a caravan. I would like to boost the low down torque output of this engine to improve its towing ability.

What I had in mind was to get a RoverRon tuning box, boost the turbo by 2 to 3 lbs (tighten wastegate bolt by 3 turns) and was also wondering about buying a £30 decat pipe off eBay.

My question concerns the decat pipe - what I don't want is lots of horrible raspy noises in my cabin (I'm 58!!!), what I do want is a turbo that comes in at a lower rpm, but with no loss of torque below the turbo switch on rpm. Anybody tried one of these £30 eBay pipes - what exactly do they do for a turbo diesel?

Thanks
Henry

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
right you will not get raspy noises but you will hear the turbo much more, i wouldn't bother with getting a pipe from ebay, remove the cat on ur car and destroy the insides with a long chisel. It will pas MOT fine without it as the L series is very clean for its age.

andy

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
not on a diesel, i had no rasp neither did my brother no has stu, load of ppl i know with L series diesels none have any kind of rasp of exhaust note whatsover

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
I have gutted the cat on my derv R25.

Complete lack of turbo lag is what happens when you gut the cat. I do hear the turbo whistle though, not enough to be annoying though. Does actually sound quite nice.

Welcome to the advantage of diesel.

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts