MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im gonna attempt to debadge my bubble 200's front grill..

ive colourcoded and meshed one before but never cut the middle pillar out..

my question is do/can you cut a bit less and sand the plastic flat?

or cut into the grill and smooth with a filler?

also would a small hand hak-saw be right for this job?

i thought if i did the first option it would be better incase i cut at the wrong angle or somthing!?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no sawing involved in debadging a 200, it's just unscrewing the middle part.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
believe me there is no screws holding the middle bit in place.. (i wish there was!) i just dont want to **** it up and waste a good grill! :)

anyoneÉ

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I know the 25 grille and 200 grille are different.. but similar, i think? anyway.. this is how i did mine..

take it off (the grille)

Use a jigsaw (hack saw would be fine too) to cut the slats out (it will leave little stubs)

Then cut the badge out...

Sand down the stumpy bits :D and then place fibreglass over where the badge was (from the inside!!) make sure tis strong... then when dry, simply just use filler over the fibreglass, now on the outside.. and just smooth away .. Sorry if it didnt make perfect sense.. :(

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

diddnt go bad.. after using all the crap sandpaper i had and a killing arm i managed to get the boterm edge smooth. will do the top tomorrow. the top bit that has the dent looks tricky to fill. what filler should i use that the paint wont crack and flake?
if i leave it there will just look a bodge i think

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the 25 grille and 200 grille are different.. but similar, i think? anyway.. this is how i did mine..

take it off (the grille)

Use a jigsaw (hack saw would be fine too) to cut the slats out (it will leave little stubs)

Then cut the badge out...

Sand down the stumpy bits :D and then place fibreglass over where the badge was (from the inside!!) make sure tis strong... then when dry, simply just use filler over the fibreglass, now on the outside.. and just smooth away .. Sorry if it didnt make perfect sense.. :(
i think you just answerd my question.. lol :D im thinking with the price of fiberglass and filler and sandpaper and wet&dry i would have been beter buying one off ebay and saved some time

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:D:D

Looking at the picture, i would cut abit more wehter the badges were etc.. so you can rebuild it better with filler.. but maybe its the angle im looking at.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D:D

Looking at the picture, i would cut abit more wehter the badges were etc.. so you can rebuild it better with filler.. but maybe its the angle im looking at.
yup all done now! got a question can you prime directly over sanded fibre glass?? if so what primer do i need plastic? i used plastic primer on my old grill by wet&dry down the chrome and the finish was good.

It took me a wile but i got it perfectly smooth ready to paint and mesh. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
you need to sand it down completely, then use bodyfiller all over the top and bottom lips. then leave it near the boiler for a few days then sand it down so its flush.

prime with 3 coats, then 3 paint coats and finally 3 coats of laq.

its abit of a process, if you dont take your time you will make mistakes.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When i do it, i leave it for 15 mins and its completely dry and solid. But yeah, deffo use filler, dont sand down the fibre glass! thats there only for support and something to put the filler onto!

·
Registered
416 Posts
sand fibreglass

hi i did mine not so long back and i used a grinder to take out the badge and then cleaned it up

i used fiber glass filler and i had no problems sanding it i only used body filler as last light skim then filler primer few coats rubbing down with 1200 in between

didnt any of you peel off the chrome ?

i have heard about this on here. i peeled the chrome off mine and now its all completley plastic with the exeption of the modding to the gaps.

also i found if you do the job over few days (letting filler and filler primer cure fully between processes) it gave me more confidence in it lasting

i.e. i primered it at work just before going home and carried on when i got to work in the morning (lol yes i know your meant to work at WORK lol)

MACKA

·
Registered
547 Posts
When i do it, i leave it for 15 mins and its completely dry and solid. But yeah, deffo use filler, dont sand down the fibre glass! thats there only for support and something to put the filler onto!

chemical process takes time, not minutes!! longer you leave it the better the result.

short cuts are risky!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi i did mine not so long back and i used a grinder to take out the badge and then cleaned it up

i used fiber glass filler and i had no problems sanding it i only used body filler as last light skim then filler primer few coats rubbing down with 1200 in between

didnt any of you peel off the chrome ?

i have heard about this on here. i peeled the chrome off mine and now its all completley plastic with the exeption of the modding to the gaps.

also i found if you do the job over few days (letting filler and filler primer cure fully between processes) it gave me more confidence in it lasting

i.e. i primered it at work just before going home and carried on when i got to work in the morning (lol yes i know your meant to work at WORK lol)

MACKA
i painted over the P40 mate as the plastic primer i got said can be used directly over fibreglass..

you cant notice a differnce in finish over the plastic and the p40 so as long as it stays that was there is no problem! all i need to do now as get some more of the same mesh and go the botterm grill. going to cut the slats out of the lower grill aswell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts