MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to follow is the footsteps of a few on here and spray my front fog surrounds body coloured. XPG.

Will I get a good finish if I primer them and use the official XPG spray can and lacquer or will it begin to flake if it gets chipped or from wear and tear? I don't know anyone to get them sprayed professionally and have no idea of the costs. I'm worried about a can splattering, would I need to use wet and dry or anything or should it apply smooth by default?

So, to spray with the can myself or to get them done professionally? People could make money by selling these prepainted on the net. Would be nice to keep my originals too I suppose.

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Check prices with a bodyshop, sometimes works out cheaper than you having to buy the paint yourself.
I got mine done but luckily know a man who can.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much would say it should cost to get em both sprayed, and do they just mix the paints themselves or do bodyshops and repair places have most paint types in stock?

I am hoping it would be less than 20 quid, if not then it is cheaper to buy the can and laquer but would I have an inferior finish?

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Bodyshops either buy the paint or mix it themselves.
you may be looking at anywhere £30-£50 at a bodyshop but the results will be far better.

you will need the following to do it yourself:

Plastic primer
Colour paint
Laquer

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just spray it with primer and let it dry, do a few coats.... then spray it with the paint again a few coats, then lacquer, a few coats and then thats it? Or should I wet and dry in between?

I have not sprayed much myself.

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Light sand in between.
You also need to remove any dirt and grease before you begin to spray either using panel wipes or just give it a good wash in the sink !

·
Registered
330 Posts
i got a local garage to get someone to do it, it cost me £50 for both, a week later i crashed in the snow and mashed one of em up!!! need to get it re-done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts