MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mk2 MY95 214 which has recently been losing a lot of oil. The oil appears to be coming from the join between the cylinder head and the camshaft carrier on both front corners of the block. It is more noticeable on the distributor end than the timing belt end though.

I've asked Mr Haynes, and he was somewhat vague and not very illustrative. From the little he did show me, i've come to the shaky conclusion that it is probably either a botch during an earlier repair (i.e. not using sealant when replacing the camshaft carrier), or the oil seals on the end of the camshafts.

Now Gurus, please answer me these simple questions, if you would be so kind:

1. does this like a reasonable diagnosis. If not, what then?
2. What sort of repair bill would i be facing to fix these things?

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
1.Yes

2.not much diy!!

the 4 camshft seals are mega easy diy and the camshaft carrier is not to bad either I assume you have you haynes so yuo have all the info.

My preferred way to do the cam carrier is to set the engine at 90 deg BTDC and turn the cams at TDC for no 1 cylinder so no lobes are away from the valves as that is the correct method of reinstallment.You will need a cam locking tool clicky if you treat this as changing the timing belt then you will not go far wrong.If you take the cam gears off then set the cams to TDC- the roll pins should be at 8 oclock for the exhaust cam and 4 oclock for the inlet cam.Make sure you install the gears with the repective keyways -Exhaust onto exhaust roll pin and Inlet gear Inlet keyway into the inlet camshaft roll pin then when you turn the gears EX--IN><EX--IN they will be correct for refitting the belt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts