MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a mk1 rover 25 and none of the central console buttons are working (AC, rear fog, rear heated window), neither they light up, except for the hazards.

Is there a way I can test the buttons with a multimeter? All the fuses in the cabin seem to be ok as all the other instruments in the car work fine, so I suspect all of the three buttons are faulty as I do not find any relay or fuse controlling only these.

Any information will be useful. Thanks in advance.

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Can I ask what you mean the buttons are not working? Do you mean when you press the button it does not provide action which is intended (e.g. fogs do not work,rear heater do not heat, etc), or you mean that buttons are not illuminated when sidelights are on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I ask what you mean the buttons are not working? Do you mean when you press the button it does not provide action which is intended (e.g. fogs do not work,rear heater do not heat, etc), or you mean that buttons are not illuminated when sidelights are on?
They have a backlight that does illuminate when the headlights are on as the rest of the dashboard, but nothing happens when I press them, and the orange bulb does not turn on. Thanks

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Then you either have faulty switches - question is when they last worked as expected? - or you have multiple problems with functions which these switches operate.

There is no single relay or fuse for these switches. Each switch has its own electrical circuit and each of them correspond with one function.

You would need to inspect each switch by itself.

For each switch you need its wiring diagram as they are not the same switches. I will see what I can find ...

One more question: you are sure that switches are mk1 and not that someone tried to make interior look like mk2?

EDIT:

Here are pins you need to check:

AC switch (latching switch): when pressed pins 1 and 4 should be connected directly without resistance.
In case that when pressed this switch has pins 1 and 3 connected, they switch might be replaced with old switch from Rover '95-'99

HRW switch (momentary switch): when pressed pins 1 and 4 should be connected directly without resistance

Rear fogs switch (latching switch): when pressed pins 1 and 4 should be connected directly without resistance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. Id go to a scrap site or something but where I live it鈥檚 very difficult to find rover parts and I need to be sure before ordering parts from the uk.

If this helps I remember years ago when I used this car on summer the orange AC button bulb turning on and off when driving and cooling some times and some times not.. and one year i came back and wasn鈥檛 working at all

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Thank you so much. Id go to a scrap site or something but where I live it鈥檚 very difficult to find rover parts and I need to be sure before ordering parts from the uk.

If this helps I remember years ago when I used this car on summer the orange AC button bulb turning on and off when driving and cooling some times and some times not.. and one year i came back and wasn鈥檛 working at all
What you described is usualy switch on its way out, and at one time it stopped working.

Registered
Hi, its a bulbs, which needed to be replaced - I had the same problem with my MGF, just replaced and everything is fine. You need to take out switches and you'll see yellow or green or red circles on their sides - that's a bulbs. They should look like this:

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, its a bulbs, which needed to be replaced - I had the same problem with my MGF, just replaced and everything is fine. You need to take out switches and you'll see yellow or green or red circles on their sides - that's a bulbs. They should look like this:
View attachment 136900
Good luck!
View attachment 136900
Good luck!
This was it. Thank you very very much

I don鈥檛 really know what I did but the only button I was interested was the air con one because where i live a car without air conditioning is almost unusable in summer. I took both of the bulbs out and it鈥檚 working (???). It has no backlight at all but it鈥檚 cooling like the first day. I don鈥檛 actually believe how the whole air conditioning system was not working just because a useless bulb鈥 my family and I thought it was the compressor or something very expensive.

I鈥檒l see where I can order the bulbs to get it properly working in the future but this is it for now.

Thank you both again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts