MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the coolant in my MGF as the current water is looking a bit grimey and I think the previous owner might have mixed the two different types normal/OAT...

Anyway if the coolant types have been mixed then what is the best type of coolant to use? I plan to "flush" the system using the bleed screws so as not to introduce any air into the system. The drawback being some of the mixed coolant may remain in the system. Should I use the normal coolant or the OAT to refill it with?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Flush all the old coolant out with lots of fresh water then refill with what ever coolant takes your fancy.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Agreed - aslong as the system is flushed through and clean,there should be no problems with whatever type you use.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Yeah from what i've heard i'd choose OAT, and being the newer stuff. From what i've read about the F/TF OAT sounds best.
Sure you'd find a fair bit searching for "coolant MGF" or somethign like that.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I know you shouldn't, but what is the effect of A) mixing the two coolant types and B) not changing the coolant regularly enough??

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Mixing them means that you lose the effectivness of the OAT and it becomes a standard Ethylene Glycol based coolant that needs to be changed every 2 years.

Sometimes certain coolants when mixed can thicken, not nice in a car engine.

If you don't change it often enough the cooling/anti-freezing properties are reduced and the anti-corrosion properties are dramatically reduced.
You will end up with a rusty radiator and it would overheat in the summer and may freeze up in the winter.
For 2 litres of OAT from Texaco (stuff Rover use) is £6.50.
Then use de-ionised or distilled water to mix up 50/50 concentration.
Total cost less than a tenner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On your expansion tank in the engine bay there should be a yellew label in the top which should have OAT on it if this label is not there then it should be filled up with normal Antifreeze.

One word of advise though make sure you bleed the cooling system correctly as it will cause the engine to overheat and blow your headgasket.

There are 3 bleed screws on MGF's one on the metal coolant pipe that runs from the back of the engine to above the gearbox, the other is on top of the rad on near side front corner of rad and the other is the heater matrix which is in the middle of the bulk head near the clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
On your expansion tank in the engine bay there should be a yellew label in the top which should have OAT on it if this label is not there then it should be filled up with normal Antifreeze.
Not 100% true!!

From my RAVE CD

Coolant Specification changes bulletin.

RAVE CD said:
SERVICE RECOMMENDATION
For future servicing convenience, it may be desirable to update the specified coolant in an earlier vehicle by replacing it with Unipart OAT (XLC), e.g. at the next change interval. This is permissible providing that the cooling system is first drained and flushed at low pressure as described in the Workshop Manual, repair number 26.10.01.
When Unipart OAT (XLC) coolant has been added to such a vehicle it will be necessary to replace the existing black filler neck label with the OAT warning label coloured yellow, part number PAK100410A (see illustration). This will indicate that coolant specification has been changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts