MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
Omg guys I am so relieved to find this forum!! I had my MG ZS 1L automatic in June 19 and exactly the same as you guys I'm experiencing lumpy juddering driving now on a daily basis ! Ive been told it's cause I'm new to automatics then it was cause of the GPF and told to basically go away as it's a characteristic and unless a light comes on the dash then there's nothing they can do 馃槧 I hate my car the stress it causes !.
I have taken to my garage so many times and even replicated the fault with them in the car but then when they have it they come back and say it's run perfectly and there's no fault with it !!! What the hell do we do !?? I've now put a letter to regret the car as I am within my first 6 months
I was given a demo car Saturday for a week with 80 delivery miles on the clock and guess what .... As soon as I started driving it it juttered 馃槧 please all fight this we need answers

Registered
I am classic MG fan of 35 years standing. I decided to add to the 'fleet' ('B' & 'TF') with a brand new ZS. Soon after taking delivery it was apparent that the car had an intermittent running fault which I described as being like a 'misfire'/timing problem. I returned the car to the dealer to rectify but was told that they didn't need to drive, or even look at the car, because they knew about the fault on that particular model. I wrote down the key parts of the conversation:
The automatic version of the MGZS is fitted with a particulate filter to the catalytic converter which burns off deposits when the car reaches a certain temperature ('Regeneration'). The service chap said that when he first experienced the fault himself on a pre-inspection delivery assessment, he thought 'this isn't going too well'. He said that the fault couldn't be fixed, nor could he offer advice as to when it would happen nor for how long. I asked him to check and he came back and confirmed that the manual version did not have the filter. I was subsequently told that the regeneration process takes power from the electrics - which would fit with the symptoms.

I don't expect a 拢17k car to drive like a BMW or even VW and am happy to put up with other issues but this fault can go on for 25+ miles and over the weeks has become wearing.

I would be keen to hear from other ZS Auto owners (cars built from 2018).

Thank you for reading, JB
Omg guys I am so relieved to find this forum!! I had my MG ZS 1L automatic in June 19 and exactly the same as you guys I'm experiencing lumpy juddering driving now on a daily basis ! Ive been told it's cause I'm new to automatics then it was cause of the GPF and told to basically go away as it's a characteristic and unless a light comes on the dash then there's nothing they can do 馃槧 I hate my car the stress it causes !.
I have taken to my garage so many times and even replicated the fault with them in the car but then when they have it they come back and say it's run perfectly and there's no fault with it !!! What the hell do we do !?? I've now put a letter to regret the car as I am within my first 6 months
I was given a demo car Saturday for a week with 80 delivery miles on the clock and guess what .... As soon as I started driving it it juttered 馃槧 please all fight this we need answers
hi did you see m
I am classic MG fan of 35 years standing. I decided to add to the 'fleet' ('B' & 'TF') with a brand new ZS. Soon after taking delivery it was apparent that the car had an intermittent running fault which I described as being like a 'misfire'/timing problem. I returned the car to the dealer to rectify but was told that they didn't need to drive, or even look at the car, because they knew about the fault on that particular model. I wrote down the key parts of the conversation:
The automatic version of the MGZS is fitted with a particulate filter to the catalytic converter which burns off deposits when the car reaches a certain temperature ('Regeneration'). The service chap said that when he first experienced the fault himself on a pre-inspection delivery assessment, he thought 'this isn't going too well'. He said that the fault couldn't be fixed, nor could he offer advice as to when it would happen nor for how long. I asked him to check and he came back and confirmed that the manual version did not have the filter. I was subsequently told that the regeneration process takes power from the electrics - which would fit with the symptoms.

I don't expect a 拢17k car to drive like a BMW or even VW and am happy to put up with other issues but this fault can go on for 25+ miles and over the weeks has become wearing.

I would be keen to hear from other ZS Auto owners (cars built from 2018).

Thank you for reading, JB
[/QUOTE
Hi did you see my post below I'm having exactly the same issues

Registered
other_mg
I would have liked an auto, but certainly not going to be one of these, have been fed up enough with the irritating problems with my 1.5 manual excite as it is. Looks like my next car, (in the next 6 months) won't be an MG (chinese) will avoid the Ssangyong which uses a derivative of the 1.5 T engine.

Registered
I'm very pleased to find and print off this forum to take to my Local MG dealer tonight when I go to collect by 1L ZS for the second time. After 2 visits now and over 7 days in the garage they have failed to find any issues with my car yet it is suffering from all the drive issues in this forum. To me rather than a misfire it feels more like a gearbox issue as if a clutch slip within the gearbox. When its playing up I get very jerky acceleration, failure to down shift gears when needed & when running at constant speeds I get a kangarooing effect even using the cruise control. This continues for the full journey and does not rectify itself until the car has rested up for a while. I keep getting told its probably the particle filter regenerating but I do not believe this as it happens far to often and goes on far too long. last week it misbehaved for an entire drive from Windsor to Reading on local roads and at constant speed on the M4 and when I reached my destination there was a horrible burning/friction smell. Its so frustrating that when the dealer have it its usually behaving and they have not re reacted it yet. I wish MG would agree the car is unfit for purpose as mine is not evn 6 months old and only done 1600 miles !

Registered
I'm very pleased to find and print off this forum to take to my Local MG dealer tonight when I go to collect by 1L ZS for the second time. After 2 visits now and over 7 days in the garage they have failed to find any issues with my car yet it is suffering from all the drive issues in this forum. To me rather than a misfire it feels more like a gearbox issue as if a clutch slip within the gearbox. When its playing up I get very jerky acceleration, failure to down shift gears when needed & when running at constant speeds I get a kangarooing effect even using the cruise control. This continues for the full journey and does not rectify itself until the car has rested up for a while. I keep getting told its probably the particle filter regenerating but I do not believe this as it happens far to often and goes on far too long. last week it misbehaved for an entire drive from Windsor to Reading on local roads and at constant speed on the M4 and when I reached my destination there was a horrible burning/friction smell. Its so frustrating that when the dealer have it its usually behaving and they have not re reacted it yet. I wish MG would agree the car is unfit for purpose as mine is not evn 6 months old and only done 1600 miles !
Omg I have exactly the same issues I have now instructed a solicitor as I also feel the car is not fit for purpose and I have put a letter of rejection in. Keep in touch I feel your pain !

Registered
Omg I have exactly the same issues I have now instructed a solicitor as I also feel the car is not fit for purpose and I have put a letter of rejection in. Keep in touch I feel your pain !
Well my local garage have taken this forum away to read up as MG refuse to agree this engine / gearbox has any known issues ! I鈥檝e collected my car on the basis I鈥檓 taking it straight back the minute it happens as they cannot re create it - I鈥檓 fuming that MG can say this is normal. It鈥檚 pathetic !!

Registered
Hi Michelle

I bought a MG ZS 1.0 AUTO and have the same issues. Mine was bought in late dec 2019 so its about 7-8 weeks old now (700 miles on the clock).

Mine first went back into the MG dealers after about 2 weeks. At that time I made sure that it went with the car whilst its in the 'kangaroo' mode. Their engineers went on test drive with us and witnessed the problem first hand and said it was to do with stop start system initially and it needed an electronic reset. So they reset that and then I learned that they put on the worksheet for the service repair that there was no fault seen on the customer test drive! They were trying to falsify records!!! Luckily, my partner nipped this in the bud by demanding to see the engineer who tagged along on the test drive.....and he was not available ... but then the head engineer came out and asked if they could have the car for at least 4 or 5 days as their is a known issue with resetting the GPF that causes these problems. He also said that dealership has a number of other 1.0 auto ZS customers with the same issue so it would help a lot of people out. They agreed to give us a courtesy car if we let them have to for an number of days so I thought - why not. If it gets fixed and it helps all the other poor owners then great.

Two weeks later and 7 days in the dealer service workshop and the GPF was still not resetting in seconds making the car drive like a dog with loss of power, hesitation, horrendous mpg constantly. I was getting 15-17mpg. Hence, I came come to the end of my patience with the car and the dealer. The whole comedy of errors from driving it off the forecourt has been stressful. A new car experience should be all about enjoying a lovely drive in reliable car that you are proud of. My car is none of those things and is dangerous. I have nearly had an accident pulling out of junction with and the power loss occurs.

So...My car has been in the garage for 7 days out of 7 weeks. The problem arises intermittently at first and then becomes permanent so the car is a dog to drive the full length of any journey. The MG dealer even told me that if I don't take it on a long run down the motorway at 60-70 mph regularly I cannot expect the car to run properly.....wtf????? The even said the GPF and stop start on all modern cars causes these running issues - well that is pure BS. I had a Mercedes with stop start and never had it run like a dog for even one second!!!

Now I have written to the dealer and finance company asking for a full refund. The dealer who has treated me and my partner like a pair of idiots by telling us if you don't run the car at motorway speeds every few days you cannot expect the car to run properly has now offered to take the car in for another week to try and fix it again. Really!!! I don't think they can be trusted to either fix it and might even to try and make out there is no issue as they have doctored the service record paperwork before. On the side....A friend of mine who used to work at a errr...unscrupulous car dealers (not MG btw) suggested they might doctor the paperwork so that in the event of refund claims down the line they can say there was no fault according to their records. She also said that you should become their biggest pain the backside to get things done as repairs carried out can be disputed after the fact by manufacturers who may well be footing the bill. So they could be reluctant to do too much work in case they do not get compensated after the fact. Anyway.....

I have now said I want to wait and see what the finance company say as I want to reject the car which is my right under consumer law given the problems I have had in the first 6-8 weeks. I have lost faith in the car totally. Hate to drive it - just in case it chug chug chugs and lets me down when I pull out into traffic.

If you had finance - you can contact them and they will try help. My finance company told me that I have a right to a car that works and if the problem is not solved to my satisfaction I can reject the car for a full refund. So I am just waiting now to see what happens when the finance company talks to the dealer. Given that this problem will not be fixed in the short term I think the car is not fit for purpose and is dangerous given the power loss when pulling out into traffic and so on.

Hopefully I will get something sorted out and end this nightmare.......

Registered
Very sad (but relieved) to find this forum. Took delivery of a 1.0 Auto Exclusive 2 weeks ago and with less than 100 miles on the clock experienced the rough running. Going up a slight incline on a light throttle and the best way I can describe it is that it felt like a 4 cylinder engine running on only 3 (yes I do know it鈥檚 a 3 cylinder engine) but the engine vibration felt similar to the above. You can鈥檛 say that my PPF needed a regen in less than 100 miles. There is clearly an issue and it feels like either fueling or electrical. The fact that it appears MG are saying there isn鈥檛 one simply tells me they don鈥檛 know how to fix it. Mine will be coming back to the dealer with me next week with a copy of this forum. Pile on the pressure people, maybe even a call to 鈥榃atchdog鈥 or a threat to do so may kick them into action.

Registered
Very sad (but relieved) to find this forum. Took delivery of a 1.0 Auto Exclusive 2 weeks ago and with less than 100 miles on the clock experienced the rough running. Going up a slight incline on a light throttle and the best way I can describe it is that it felt like a 4 cylinder engine running on only 3 (yes I do know it鈥檚 a 3 cylinder engine) but the engine vibration felt similar to the above. You can鈥檛 say that my PPF needed a regen in less than 100 miles. There is clearly an issue and it feels like either fueling or electrical. The fact that it appears MG are saying there isn鈥檛 one simply tells me they don鈥檛 know how to fix it. Mine will be coming back to the dealer with me next week with a copy of this forum. Pile on the pressure people, maybe even a call to 鈥榃atchdog鈥 or a threat to do so may kick them into action.
Dear Bougsy

This issue is the same as mine, It will get worse and it wont kick down ever when its playing up like that. It will feel like the car is kangarooing. You will get between 14 and 20 mpg if you are lucky. My car is particularly bad and has other issues like doors that wont open (trapped inside your own car is very frustrating) and the infotainment randomly restarts too. Before you do anything you need to put it in writing that you wish to reject the car. You need to do this within 30 days of taking ownership ideally. If you have finance on the car then get them involved too asap. The dealer will not want to give you a refund or another car as it costs them money. My dealer just wants me to keep putting the car into the workshop so they can try and fix it over and over. They have tried twice and had the car for a whole week and its still not fixed. Your nightmare is just beginning. I have legal advice insurance and I should know soon exactly what to do as I am going round in circles with a faulty car that I don't want to drive as its dangerous. I have had it loose power like its stalling and nearly had an accident owing to this. MG should not be selling these vehicles knowing that this issue exists. Its only on the 1.0 auto models btw. So perhaps you can swap to a 1.5 manual if the dealer has any ounce of decency. Good luck and let us know what happens.....

Registered
Update - my finance company has apparently had information back from the dealer that they have never seen a fault on my car whatsoever. Its a full on tissue of lies from the dealer. It is criminal and I have never been so upset in my life that they are making out I am a filthy liar. The dealers engineers have witnessed the kangaroo faulty and have cooked the books on this as it will cost them money to sort it out which I don't believe they can. My car now has other issues developing that I would like to know if anyone else has - doors not unlocking, infotainment system resetting randomly. I am too exhausted to post more but if anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

Registered
What about an independent engineer report? Would that not give you sufficient evidence to progress further. Unfortunately, there would be a cost to this, whatever that may be.

Registered
I have in fact asked for an independent report and I am presently waiting for answers as to how I go about that and who pays for it. My complaint has now been sent to the dealers managing director as well. I feel completely washed out by this. The stress it put you under is no joke. Will update on what happens next........

Registered
D
Update - my finance company has apparently had information back from the dealer that they have never seen a fault on my car whatsoever. Its a full on tissue of lies from the dealer. It is criminal and I have never been so upset in my life that they are making out I am a filthy liar. The dealers engineers have witnessed the kangaroo faulty and have cooked the books on this as it will cost them money to sort it out which I don't believe they can. My car now has other issues developing that I would like to know if anyone else has - doors not unlocking, infotainment system resetting randomly. I am too exhausted to post more but if anyone has advice I would appreciate it.
Do you have a dashcam with voice recording as if you did and you had kept the video of the dealer's engineer mentioning/witnessing the fault when the car was being tested/driven then you have strong evidence to refute the dealer's engineering report?

Are you able to mention the location of the dealer, e.g it is based in North England, Scotland, etc as we would be able to know which MG servicing partners to avoid in the future?

My own local-ish MG dealer is Apple MG in Kent and so far they have been able to help me with getting my car's original very dangerous random engine stalling sorted out after 2 attempts after MG Motor UK released a 2nd ECU update to fix the problem.

It seems like MG Motor UK seem to be devoting their development resources to the EV model as it's the current poster child but seems to have left us ICE owners with not much in the way of support.

Given that SAIC is a massive Chinese company, I am very surprised that they think that they can get away with lack of support for both owners of their vehicles and even the dealerships that are trying to push the MG brand.

I guess that the UK car market is an afterthought as we don't even get the vehicles that other less developed nations get.

MG Global

Cheers..

Registered
D

Do you have a dashcam with voice recording as if you did and you had kept the video of the dealer's engineer mentioning/witnessing the fault when the car was being tested/driven then you have strong evidence to refute the dealer's engineering report?

Are you able to mention the location of the dealer, e.g it is based in North England, Scotland, etc as we would be able to know which MG servicing partners to avoid in the future?

My own local-ish MG dealer is Apple MG in Kent and so far they have been able to help me with getting my car's original very dangerous random engine stalling sorted out after 2 attempts after MG Motor UK released a 2nd ECU update to fix the problem.

It seems like MG Motor UK seem to be devoting their development resources to the EV model as it's the current poster child but seems to have left us ICE owners with not much in the way of support.

Given that SAIC is a massive Chinese company, I am very surprised that they think that they can get away with lack of support for both owners of their vehicles and even the dealerships that are trying to push the MG brand.

I guess that the UK car market is an afterthought as we don't even get the vehicles that other less developed nations get.

MG Global

Cheers..
Sadly no recording of the test drive with the engineer. At the time one never would have thought it was going to be a big deal...... The dealer is in South Wales and I do not expect to any joy at all unless they admit to not viewing the faults and asking for the car for a week to diagnose the parameters that need to be updated in the engine software (that was their head engineers words btw). There is even no record of the other faults with the car they have tried to fix - the doors sometimes either will not open or get stuck fast so you cannot open from the inside or outside. My rear driver side passenger door has been stuck shut for over a month now - since the second visit to the dealer where they were supposed to fix it. I have sent videos of these faults (like the door that is stuck fast) and video of the car doing the kangaroo/not kicking down and returning 14mpg to the finance company and dealer - but no - they are just not taking any notice as the dealer paperwork is a clean sheet apparently - so its either fraud on the dealers part or they have a serious problem filling in paperwork. Now its apparently down to the dealer as to what they want to do according to the finance company. No help with getting an independent assessment - no help with investigating why the dealer paperwork is blank. In addition, the dealer also states that all MG ZS cars at the dealership drive in the same manner - like a kangaroo and presumably do 14-19 mpg too!!!! The finance company just accept that is OK - Its unbelievable!

I can only hope the do a full internal investigation and speak to the employees involved. They know what went on and if the are honest people should confirm the events but I fear that they will be under immense internal company pressure to keep it zipped. No one is going to want to admit to a mistake that might get them in trouble.

I have requested a meeting with one of their bosses to discuss what has gone on and to get those employees (the test drive engineer and service manager) into that meeting so we can all meet eye to eye and get to the truth. Will update on what happens on this matter when something happens if they agree.

Lastly, I even have a legal protection policy and they have sent me information that is like as long as war and peace. But I am so exhausted and this dealership is not honest that I just want out of the whole thing - I would not buy a Ferrari from them for a 拢1. Even if the admit they have seen the faults and so on....I have serious doubts they would have any honour and refund me to end my nightmare.

Registered
Have you thought about writing to a motoring magazine as some have some sort of air your issues pages? Given that MG isn't a large advertiser with the motoring press, I am sure that they won't be scared of losing too many marketing dollars.

Good luck!

Cheers..

Registered
Funnily enough my youngest daughter who is a whiz on social media keeps digging at me to let her air all of this. She can bring down governments lol

For now I am awaiting further response from the dealer but AutoExpress and RipOffBritain or Watchdog might be other places to contact. There are also motor trade associations and the financial ombudsman as my car is financed. Should not have to do any of this at all though and it all takes a strain on you.

Registered
Dear Bougsy

This issue is the same as mine, It will get worse and it wont kick down ever when its playing up like that. It will feel like the car is kangarooing. You will get between 14 and 20 mpg if you are lucky. My car is particularly bad and has other issues like doors that wont open (trapped inside your own car is very frustrating) and the infotainment randomly restarts too. Before you do anything you need to put it in writing that you wish to reject the car. You need to do this within 30 days of taking ownership ideally. If you have finance on the car then get them involved too asap. The dealer will not want to give you a refund or another car as it costs them money. My dealer just wants me to keep putting the car into the workshop so they can try and fix it over and over. They have tried twice and had the car for a whole week and its still not fixed. Your nightmare is just beginning. I have legal advice insurance and I should know soon exactly what to do as I am going round in circles with a faulty car that I don't want to drive as its dangerous. I have had it loose power like its stalling and nearly had an accident owing to this. MG should not be selling these vehicles knowing that this issue exists. Its only on the 1.0 auto models btw. So perhaps you can swap to a 1.5 manual if the dealer has any ounce of decency. Good luck and let us know what happens.....
Been back to the dealer and left it with them for the day. Picked it up after they installed a software update (sound familiar) and guess what, no different. Have run it for 5 days to see if it settled down but no. Will be taking it back again. Its a shame because when it runs OK its a lovely car but when it doesn鈥檛 its a pig. Unfortunately not on finance so I鈥檓 fighting this on my own.

Registered
Been back to the dealer and left it with them for the day. Picked it up after they installed a software update (sound familiar) and guess what, no different. Have run it for 5 days to see if it settled down but no. Will be taking it back again. Its a shame because when it runs OK its a lovely car but when it doesn鈥檛 its a pig. Unfortunately not on finance so I鈥檓 fighting this on my own.
Hi Bougsy

They have not done a software update on mine as far as I am aware. That's what they thought was required when it first went in but they changed a crankshaft sensor instead which was supposed to have an effect. My car was doing the kangaroo (aka you pig lol) this morning again. 19.1 mpg!!!! I am still awaiting correspondence from the dealer - I have sent 5 emails and requested that they acknowledge my emails but nothing at all. They are blanking me!!!! Unreal - I am going to try and call them when I finish work as the finance company requested they make a decision on what they are going to do.............

21 - 40 of 52 Posts