MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just been out and bought a 1989 Mini City 998cc 4 speed motor to run alongside my MG ZR. It drove home the 130 miles from London where I bought it and was spot on, not missing a beat. However when I got home I reversed it up our lane to drop onto the drive and thats where the problems have begun for me. I Knocked it out of gear and switched off and left it an hour. Went back out to it and couldnt get it to go into any forward gears. It is a 4 speed box and to get into reverse you have to pull the stick up and backwards to the right if your with me. It appears that the stick is now stuck in the upper plane of the box if you understand me? I can select reverse now without lifting the stick up, it is as if it wont drop back down to the lower level to allow selection of forward gears? Didnt know if anyone knew if this was a normal fault with this box? Anyone any suggestions as to what I can do? Im so annoyed ive found this nice rot free motor and now I cant drive it because of a stupid fault like this. Reverse did work because it was demonstrated on the test drive and also I used reverse a couple of times myself at petrol stations etc whilst driving home. Hope ive given enough info, hope someone can help????

Cheers
Dale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like an internal fault with either the selector mechanism or another common fault is the main gearbox bearing breaks up and the ball bearings float around inside the gearbox and jams everything up. I think Gearbox has got to come out though!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Easy one this

Remove the gearstick gator then unclip the gearstick and pull it out, you might find something floating aroung in the grease, clean it all out, regrease it all and put it back together and all will be fine.

Pete

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
SOunds like a problem with the selector / gear linkage rather than the box itself mate. Just have a gander underneath - its really simple.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
yeah the problem lies directly below the gear gator. Wip it off and take a peek, should be straight forward to sort.

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats brilliant thanks very much for yours help. Easy enough job then, so im whipping the gear stick out from inside and looking down to check for obstructions.....had visions of gearbox changes and allsorts - Will have a check hopefully tommorrow and let you all know.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
yeah if i remember correctly under the gear gator is a rubber boot. under that rubber boot you will see what is called the remote box, there is a cup on top which i think rotates to come off like a bayonet fixing. the problem lies in there somewhere.

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, thanks for your previous help. Have whipped the gear lever out this afternoon to have a butchers into the remote box. Havent been able to find anything however I think ive gathered how it all works which may give someone a bit more of a chance of coming up with another suggestion. I can see obviously the circular thing inside the remote box that the gear lever sits in. Then across the bottom I see the steel plate with the ridge in it, im assuming the gear lever bottom sits on the ridge when you pull the spring up to go into reverse gear? Ive had a play with the circular metal thing (sorry thats a technical term!!) that the gear lever sits in and it will only go so far across to the right. Theres no blockage that I can see to stop this going further right but currently doesnt go far enough across. Do I assume then that there must be a blockage further along that I cant see? Have I generally grasped the basic workings of how it works in there? Am I going to have to whip the remote box off now to have a better look inside to see if there is a blockage? Is this a difficult job? What is it likely to be causing this problem in there, would it be a nut thats come loose or something and is blocking the job in there? Any other suggestions? Sorry for the lack of technical terms folks and for being a pain in the ****!!

Cheers
Dale

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
first thing to try if this happens dunt the lever back down with the palm of your hand! , obvious really. :)

next get under the car and ahve a swatch at where the lower rod enters teh gearbox, what your lookign for is anything that could possibly obstruct the travel of the chunky-joining bit. exhaust clamps brakeing and jamming here are a favourite!

if those dont sort it(and they will!) its a engine out-gearbox - off job.

oh aye, make sure if you disasemble the gear lever assembly the bottom plate on the housing goes back the correct way!

HTH

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm funny you should mention exhaust brackets jamming the rod.....the exhaust on its rotten and needs replacing, is blowing towards the tail as its all but snapping so theres every chance that it could be something like that - Thanks very much will get under the bloody thing when I get home from work in the morning!!!

Cheers
Dale

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
no worries. thre the only 2 things it can be IMHO. had both happen quite a few times. and never known anything else to break on a rod-change mini. its too simple :bgrin:

Infact, i can think of 1 more reason which is fairly common tho iv never experienced it myself. sometimes the roll pin(s) that secure the big joiney bit slip out and prevent full movement of the rod in one or more directions :) jsut hammer it back in and put a bit of wire thro it and tie it off to stop it hapening again!

tho i have had 1 mini with the bottom plate of the mechanism put on wrong, :guns4: but if your mini drove fine before that wont be the problem!

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right cheers for that, had a look under and theres nothing that is obstructing the movement so maybe the roll pin could be at fault. Think im gonna whip the remote box off too to have a proper shufty in there. Really am fed up having a fun new motor and not being able to drive the bloody thing! I do hope its not a demic gearbox cos ive really not got the time or the knowledge to take the engine and box out.

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not had chance to check that yet because im on nights atm. Will get underneath again on Fri and have another look and check the roll pins. If we cant find anything there then dont know where to go from there. Appreciate your help though mate with all your suggestions, been a big help where to look even if we cant find the problem!! I take it you've got one yourself?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
319 Posts
Hi, It sounds as if the reverse stop guide plate has broken off. Go under the car where the gear stick comes through the floor there is a box with the selector rod coming out of it, Remove the screws from the plate on the bottom and have a look at the plate, there should be a guide welded to it. I think this will have broken off. You should get hold of one easy enough from dealer or scrappies.

Cheers Gary :)

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
if you do the above, mind and put it back on the right way round :)

had to many minis.... and to many problems with em. stil love them tho!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
evolotion said:
Infact, i can think of 1 more reason which is fairly common tho iv never experienced it myself. sometimes the roll pin(s) that secure the big joiney bit slip out and prevent full movement of the rod in one or more directions :) jsut hammer it back in and put a bit of wire thro it and tie it off to stop it hapening again!
- had this SOOOO MANY :guns3: times on my last one (see sig) right pain in the ass it was, could never find another roll pin that fitted, either too big (wouldnt fit at all) or too small (would work its way and drop out after 40-50 miles of "enthusiastic" driving. Leaving me without gearchange :irked: Fun all the same though, quality cars :)

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
find one thats too small bit "does the job" and feed some wire thro the middle of it, and wrap it round and tie it off. jobs a goodun. iv also used an appropriate nylock nut and bolt before. :)

if you decide to remove the gearlever and assembly, you will need to remove atleast 1 rollpin. these are a notorious pain in teh ****. iv found teh best "tool" is a jewlers screwdriver(you know the ones that come in a weee set with metal handles and teh wee "nut" on the end) choose the one that fits snugly inside the rool pin so it hold itself there, with an edge of the handle buttign against the edge of the roll pin. and whack it with the biggest hammer you got :)

my mini: diary &pics :)

http://http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1883

http://http://www.16vminiclub.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=84

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, a massive help. Ill report back as soon as I get off nights and get chance to have a proper look and sort it, let you know which one of yous was right!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts