MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought my car it had really really low miles 11,000 now recently a friend (he's a car salesman and is warning me off buying privately) was telling me about the new digital dash's its really easy to "clock" cars (put the mileage back) he said with the digital ones its totally untracable so u'd never know. is this true?!?!?! surely not.

ive been looking on google and lots of these "mileage collaboration" companies seem to be out there. it doesnt make sense?? so basically im asking how i can spot/what are the signs of this being done to a car? how can i check to see if it has been done???

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Your only real proof on actual mileage is to check the service records and MOT certificates, and to check the overall condition of the car. Cars that have been heavily clocked for example will look like they have done far more miles (seat wearage, state of the enginebay etc etc) than the milometer suggests.
When buying privately or from a small second hand dealer i'd never buy a car without a full service history, you can trace back from this how many miles it's most likely to have covered in it's life and whether that fits with whats on the clock.
e.g. if the first 3 years service suggest an average of 10,000miles a year and then one service record suggests only 100 miles that year i'd be very suspicious that the car had been clocked inbetween.
If the car hard low mileage and no service history (in fact even if had no service history anyway) i'd walk away, no matter how much i liked it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It all depends on price for me. If a car is cheap then I wont bother about service history

for instance - if i had to chance to get a tatty early MGF at £3500 i would be happy to rely upon my own skill and judgement to asess its condition and wouldnt worry about mileage or service history. However, if i was looking to get a well cared for example at £6k then I would be looking for full MG service history, along with a huge wadge of MOT's, bills and everything you can imagine.

I wouldnt mind spending a few hundred quid on the cheaper one as i would still be getting a good deal.

If your paying a good price for something them unless it comes with with all the bills and mots etc walk away because you will find one that will.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It really doesn't matter how easy it is to clock an odometer, this is a part that can fail like any other and be replaced. One trick I heard about (not far from here) is disconnection of the speedo cable to prevent clocking miles especially on cars that have been on one of those lease/final payment agreements with a mileage limit.

As has been already said, careful scrutiny of documentation to corroborate claimed mileage is necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts