MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, wana sort out the sound in my car. got a good cd tuner 4x50w, but not very loud, it is worth ordering the speakers from mike satur which do 240w?

http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/archive/iceaudio.html

also, if i am taking the door cards out i wana sort my windows. have replaced the window stops a while back, but the drivers window is really bad n every time i try n wind it down it sounds like the window is going to shatter! does anyone have an idea y this might be?

cheers

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
personally for that cash you could get a top brand speaker and then some. I would look at your local ice supplier tbh as you may get a better deal and more sound advice.

geddit ;)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
When choosing audio equipment you can almost ignore the max power figures. What separates the good from the bad is the RMS or 'nominal' figure. Although your HU may be 4 x 50W, this means it is only capable of producing 50W occasionally; the RMS figure is what it will produce day in day out. If the nominal figure on your HU is quite low, then you need to start thinking about powering the speakers from a separate amp in order to maintain good sound quality at high volume. The benefit of an amp is that higher volumes there will be less of a loss in the sound quality, as the amp would still be just be ticking over, whereas a HU would need to run full pelt to produce the same volume.
Same goes for speakers, although they may have a max rating of 240W the nominal may be low, and as a result when you crank the volume up so the power is well over the nominal, they will sound crap.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
jimmysutt said:
also, if i am taking the door cards out i wana sort my windows. have replaced the window stops a while back, but the drivers window is really bad n every time i try n wind it down it sounds like the window is going to shatter! does anyone have an idea y this might be?

cheers
Try spraying some silicone lubricant in the window runners, and greese the `scissors`of the mechanism ........ also the rear window runner (door lock end) is adjustable and will move in or out via a lock nut and bolt which holds the runner to the inner door frame on the bottom corner (you will see it with the card removed)......... a little adjustment may help the window `travel` a bit easier!.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
As a rule of thumb I would go with 1.5 x the RMS of the source so you cant blow them, so would say a minimum of 40W RMS in your case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts