MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting unused for a couple of years, when I came to get my ZT 1.8t back on the road, the clutch friction plate had stuck to the flywheel. Being old school, I got the car running on the starter motor with the car in gear and managed to free the clutch but in so doing I suspect I popped the release bearing. I managed to hobble on with regular clutch bleeds (absolute PITA) for about 5k miles, but eventually bit the bullet and decided to replace the item. I decided to go down the engine/box out route and took the opportunity to remove and restore the subframe - which was in excellent shape for an 18 yr old car - and now derusted and coated with Rustoleum 2 pack epoxy. I've also replaced the cambelt, tensioner and water pump

Having fitted the new release bearing I have reassembled and refitted everything and then the magic moment - connecting the slave cylinder to the master.

Disaster - the quick fit locking device appears to be jammed on the new slave cylinder - I just cannot get the two items to lock together.

Anyone else ever encountered this. If I cant sort this out I face the prospect of doing the job again which I really don't want to contemplate right now.

Any advice welcome

Simon

·
Registered
mg_tf
297 Posts
Hello Simon.
Am I right in thinking there are two different connector tubes/ release bearing assemblies?
Kind regards,
Austin

·
Registered
mg_zt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Austin.

The MGZTs/R75s all used the same system as far as I know. The slave cylinder is part of the release bearing and the hydraulic line connects to the master using a quick connector that is located on top of the bell housing.

The old one came off easily, and I stupidly didn't think to check the new one because I bought the LUK part. I really don't want to remove engine/box again, so worst case scenario will be to hack out the connector and reconnect using jubilee clips, but I'd rather not do that and prefer it if I can figure out how to use the existing system

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
mg_zt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding Austin.

The MGZTs/R75s all used the same system as far as I know. The slave cylinder is part of the release bearing and the hydraulic line connects to the master using a quick connector that is located on top of the bell housing.

The old one came off easily, and I stupidly didn't think to check the new one because I bought the LUK part. I really don't want to remove engine/box again, so worst case scenario will be to hack out the connector and reconnect using jubilee clips, but I'd rather not do that and prefer it if I can figure out how to use the existing system

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks

Simon

Panic now over. The unit was pressurized on delivery so I had to crack open the bleed nipple in order to make the connection. Job done!:)

·
Registered
mg_tf
297 Posts
Hello Simon,
Yes, I know about the release bearing ‘assembly, and I wasn’t referring to the ZT/ Rover 75 comparison, but to a point in time where the 75 ( and I guess the ZT) connector arrangement was modified.
Sure a pal of mine got caught out in the same way with his 2003 75 Tourer with a kit he bought from Rimmers. The box had to come out again and of course Rimmers (understandably) were not prepared to accept the release bearing assembly back for credit from a 3 Part clutch. He had to buy the alternative connector set up release bearing .
Kind regards,
Austin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts